So just for curiosity,

which thermal compound do you use and did you get decend results for OCing you CPU with it?

I have been using Artic Silver 5 for a long time (yes I know it´s a bit more conductive than IC Diamond7), and had never issues. It works good as well on X99 the 5930K and the 5960X I have.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

CLU.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

stock 212 evo paste got me to 4.8

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

stock 212 evo paste got me to 4.8

4.8GHz on a pre applied paste with an air cooler is a strong result! That´s amazing.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

IC Diamond or Indigo Extreme. I would choose Indigo Extreme over IC Diamond if my ambient is lower than 20C but be warned, the installation process is not for people who have or is eligible for heart attacks. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I use MX4. It's cheap and applies well. 

I can get my 3770K past 5GHz with it if I play with the voltage, but tend not to. At stock voltage I keep it at 4.5GHz. 

IC Diamond or Indigo Extreme. I would choose Indigo Extreme over IC Diamond if my ambient is lower than 20C but be warned, the installation process is not for people who have or is eligible for heart attacks. 

Well I used IC Diamond before but not on a regular base because I work in my job a lot with diamond containing paste and it has a grinding effect if you are not careful applying it. Bad part for me though is, that I use most of the time the spreading method. On a CPU it´s probably not that problematic but on the polished surface of a GPU...

Well I used IC Diamond before but not on a regular base because I work in my job a lot with diamond containing paste and it has a grinding effect if you are not careful applying it. Bad part for me though is, that I use most of the time the spreading method. On a CPU it´s probably not that problematic but on the polished surface of a GPU...

I never use the spread method unless specified by the maker when it comes to TIM, as in the case with Liquid Ultra and Gelid Extreme GC, i have found that the results are not uniform. I use the pea method and use the mounting pressure of the cooler to spread the TIM and in the case with IC Diamond i have some scraping on the CPU IHS but it is minimal and it is the same with my GPU. The grinding effect is just the diamonds being crushed.

On my last GPU, a 660ti, i did not have any damage to the GPU while i used IC Diamond.  

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Gelid GC Extreme I have had no problems with, Easy to use and cheap (ish). 

CLU - I have not used this but it's a metal liquid which is the best as shown on OCN and LTT with a small exception to CLP ( harder to apply, remove and is only a few degrees lower )

CLU= Cool lab. liquid ultra

CLP= Cool lab. liquid pro

Best=CLU

Computer Spec: CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.85GHz Delided    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2*4GB    GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970    PSU: Corsair RM650    Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD    Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD   Case: NZXT H440 Red and Black 

Cooling: EK PWM D5 Pump & EK 140ML RES Combo unit , EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block , 360mm Alphacool Radiator , 3 Noctua NF-F12 Fans on the radiator , Some fancy fittings

I am planning on opening up my hp g61 note book and replacing the thermal paste for the CPU. Have any recommendations on a good brand. I do plan on replacing the thermal paste in my desktop too later on. Another question I have is How long does thermal paste last in the tube. If I store it for a long time would it dry out or lose its effectiveness over a long period of time?

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

MX-4 or NT-H1

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

MX-4 is what I use, my noctua heatsink came with NT-H1 but I still used the MX-4 since it's slightly better

Thanks guys, I am planning on going for Arctic MX-4 thermal paste.  :D 

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

TX-4

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

It depends on the place.

at least in my area using a stock intel cooler + stock paste on load was 60c-67c +/- and when I reapplied the thermal paste it easily went down to 45c-50c under load (gaming load wise).

pretty much idle temp were similar.

Live your life like a dream.

Assuming the stock thermal paste isn't complete crap: not much. If you have a good cooler but you are seeing bad temperatures then I would change thermalpaste, but if your temps are fine then I would leave it.

Mx-4 is the best thermal paste if you are not going with conductive liquid metal type pastes.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

The highend stuff is almost the same but I prefer arctic silver 5, I personally use silver thermalpaste that I bought in bulk on Ebay I have a container of 100g and it has the same temps as arctic.

+ what temperature difference would you expect from stock thermal paste?

They're all about the same. Arctic Silver 5 will only be ~5 degrees cooler than toothpaste.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.