Replacing CPU Heatsink Fans?

Go to solution Solved by Archangel1994,

@Archangel1994 The biggest problem is with Noctua (and that's a fact) is their bad color selection :P. I have a windowed case, so I really want to stick with the R1.

And the fan types you suggested, are those compatible or just quiet? :P

Just about every 140mm fan should be compatible and they are all pretty quiet, I recommend you use good fan control on them though (Don't have them maxed all the time)

Also for that color suggestion I understand that :D

Hello, and thanks or reading this already!

I was planning on getting the Cryorig R1 Universal (because he has compatibility with High-Profile Ram).

Yet, my build is meant for silence. I'm trying to make sure that my rig can stay under 20db(a) and the fans of the Cryorig can't go under 20/21db(a).

Now, is it possible to replace the fans with others? (For example the Be Quiet! Silent wings etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

If you want everything in one package I recommend the NH-D15 instead. It comes with quiet fans and also has HP RAM compatibility

However if you want to stick with the R1 (Not a bad choice though) you could look into gentle typhoons, Eloops, noiseblocker PK2 or similar (NOT Corsair)

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

If you want everything in one package I recommend the NH-D15 instead. It comes with quiet fans and also has HP RAM compatibility

However if you want to stick with the R1 (Not a bad choice though) you could look into gentle typhoons, Eloops, noiseblocker PK2 or similar (NOT Corsair)

@Archangel1994 The biggest problem is with Noctua (and that's a fact) is their bad color selection :P. I have a windowed case, so I really want to stick with the R1.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

Just about every 140mm fan should be compatible and they are all pretty quiet, I recommend you use good fan control on them though (Don't have them maxed all the time)

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

One last question, thanks for the help though:

As seen in this video they are connected with these metal clips, but they are attached to the fans. Do they come with every fan?

Basic guide to CPU's!

One last question, thanks for the help though:

As seen in this video they are connected with these metal clips, but they are attached to the fans. Do they come with every fan?

They come with the cooler itself and the cooler comes with 2 fans I believe so you will get 2 of those metal clips

They come with the cooler itself and the cooler comes with 2 fans I believe so you will get 2 of those metal clips

The Cryorig's fan clips are pre-applied, so I'm on the hunt for another cooler. Still thanks!

Basic guide to CPU's!

The Cryorig's fan clips are pre-applied, so I'm on the hunt for another cooler. Still thanks!

You can remove the clips, they are just pieces of metal

At least when I got the NH-D15 for my friend I could just take the clips out so I'm assuming it would be the case for the R1 universal otherwise you would be unable to replace the fans if one dies :S

You can remove the clips, they are just pieces of metal

At least when I got the NH-D15 for my friend I could just take the clips out so I'm assuming it would be the case for the R1 universal otherwise you would be unable to replace the fans if one dies :S

I just saw it: apparently i was looking at R1 Ultimate (Who names their stuff R1 twice anyway), and the clips ARE pre-applied, but they still give extra clips for other fans!

One thing I do wonder though @Archangel1994 : one of the fans on the Cryorig is 25.4 mm thick, and the other is 13 mm thick. The Be Quiets! I want to get are 25 mm thick. Will they still work?

EDIT: added hyperlinks

Basic guide to CPU's!

I just saw it: apparently i was looking at R1 Ultimate (Who names their stuff R1 twice anyway), and the clips ARE pre-applied, but they still give extra clips for other fans!

One thing I do wonder though @Archangel1994 : one of the fans on the Cryorig is 25.4 mm thick, and the other is 13 mm thick. The Be Quiets! I want to get are 25 mm thick. Will they still work?

EDIT: added hyperlinks

You might not be able to put a fan in between the towers but otherwise it should work

You might not be able to put a fan in between the towers but otherwise it should work

Normal 25mm fans fit just fine. 

I'd go with a different cooler in the first place if the fans are just going to be replaced though. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Normal 25mm fans fit just fine. 

I'd go with a different cooler in the first place if the fans are just going to be replaced though. 

I wanted to go with the Dark Rock Pro 3 of Be Quiet!, but this does not have enough RAM clearance for my Corsair Vengeance Pro, which is an extended height.

I would've gone with Noctua but because my rig will have a windows that isn't really beautiful :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

I wanted to go with the Dark Rock Pro 3 of Be Quiet!, but this does not have enough RAM clearance for my Corsair Vengeance Pro, which is an extended height.

I would've gone with Noctua but because my rig will have a windows that isn't really beautiful :P

This is why tall ram is stupid more often than not--especially when you're going to cover them with a large heatsink anyway. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.