Open-style headphones under $100

STRMfrmXMN

So my birthday is coming up here fairly soon and I need a break from my slightly uncomfortable "gaming" headset. I want something open, over ear and under $100 US (on Amazon preferably).

I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD518s which I've heard in person at *tears of cry* Radioshack and really liked, though I've never owned any high-quality audio equipment. Anything better?

TL;DR

Under $100 USA

Open

Over ear

from Amazon

Not too bass heavy.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Are those any different than the Superlux HD668s?

I would not be able to tell you from experience, however I know that AKG makes very high quality products and I know several people who use the K240's for there high quality listening and love them.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pzKFqs

Undecided on GPU

HD 518 are good. There was a code for Newegg recently that would let you get them for $65, check the hot deals audio sub thread.

The sennheiser hd518 is cheap on amazon or newegg right now, really good open headphones

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

HD 518 are good. There was a code for Newegg recently that would let you get them for $65, check the hot deals audio sub thread.

That deal ended sadly.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Are those any different than the Superlux HD668s?

They are sorta rip-offs from the K240s. I haven't heard their sound yet. But I'm guessing its very similar. But if you're going to get Superluxes, I'd go for the 681 Evos, comes with velour pads and the detachable cable is very easy to replace.

Signature unda construction... in the meantime. Tell me more about yourself. I'm sure you've got an interesting story.

Get the 518 if you already tried and liked them. No need to speculate on whether or not you'll like comparable products.

Get the 518 if you already tried and liked them. No need to speculate on whether or not you'll like comparable products.

Just asking if there's some sort of steal out there that sounds any better basically. I still am thinking about the 518s so yeah.

Apparently there's some hype around that new Phillips one.

O really? head-fi or reddit?

I only link them as an option because they look like a decent option considering Philips is stepping up their game.

Just asking if there's some sort of steal out there that sounds any better basically. I still am thinking about the 518s so yeah.

There's nothing objectively better, but there's a few other good options if you simply want stuff to consider. Pioneer SE-A1000, Takstar HI 2050, audio-technica ATH-AD500X, and the Philips SHP9500 already linked all have their pros and cons which you'd have to weigh for yourself. 

Hey all who're reading this.

I would also like to add - 

I am pretty hard on headphones. For some reason I usually just go through headphones. My current pair is still alive after being dropped and such. If you suggest anything, make sure it's of pretty solid build construction :)

Hey all who're reading this.

I would also like to add - 

I am pretty hard on headphones. For some reason I usually just go through headphones. My current pair is still alive after being dropped and such. If you suggest anything, make sure it's of pretty solid build construction :)

Oh, definitely. We don't recommend a product we know is built flimsy. :)

O really? head-fi or reddit?

I only link them as an option because they look like a decent option considering Philips is stepping up their game.

Saw someone on Head-Fi selling them and mentioning the hype. I'm tempted to get it to see if it's any good.