DX12, AMD or Nvidia?

huego

Hey guys, I was just wondering...

I saw somewhere that it said "600% performance boost on AMD gpu's" and I was wondering if Nvidia or AMD would be better for the future. Is it too soon to tell with the amount of info given? Will something similiar happen to Nvidia? Or is that more of a tall tale? Honestly I'd rather have an Nvidia because of Shadowplay, Physx, more efficient/reliable and all but if it actually will give 600% more and Nvidia doesn't get a boost somewhere that big then I think i will switch.

Flame war incoming 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

in recent events nvidia keeps on digging while AMD is raising up the hype for their 300 series cards, plus mantle has a bright future

3tlgrp.jpg

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

It's early stages right now but from what we have seen with the few DX12 benchmarks is that DX12 is basically mantle for Nvidia so however big of an increase AMD get's from a mantle game is about as big as what Nvidia get's from DX12 600% is pretty unlikely in AAA games but Nvidia will have the same boost in performance as AMD.

DX12 benefits both AMD and Nvidia. Choose what you like as a (hopefully) informed consumer.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Hey guys, I was just wondering...

I saw somewhere that it said "600% performance boost on AMD gpu's" and I was wondering if Nvidia or AMD would be better for the future. Is it too soon to tell with the amount of info given? Will something similiar happen to Nvidia? Or is that more of a tall tale? Honestly I'd rather have an Nvidia because of Shadowplay, Physx, more efficient/reliable and all but if it actually will give 600% more and Nvidia doesn't get a boost somewhere that big then I think i will switch.

Nvidia has the best drivers, their techniques are used in many games like Hitman Blood Money, Just Cause series.., and they have special software to optimize games, change LED color of your GPU, record you games, auto update drivers...

AMD has slightly stronger stuff for the same price, but their drivers are as stable as a donkey standing on a rope. If you want to have an enjoyable time only during gaming this is fine, but outside of gaming only pain awaits you.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

The 600% boost was because the AMD cards were TERRIBLY optimised for DX11 in Star Swarm its a click bait title, even with the boost the GTX980 was performing ~57% better on DX12 it just didn't get the same gain because it was already doing "OK" on DX11. But all those numbers come from a "game" designed to be the absolute worst case scenario for DX11 when compared to mantle/DX12, IRL we'll probably get about a 10-30% boost. Even Phil Spencer said it "won't make a dramatic difference" on the Xbox and the MS tagline so far has been up to a 50% gain but who knows, asking now is about as useful as asking how things will perform on DX13.

71450.png

Note the 750ti raping the 290X in DX11, its purely lack of optimisation.

TLDR: Marketing, marketing, marketing!

We can't really say anything for sure when it comes to DirectX 12. It's still in tis Beta phase.

All we know is that it will surely be similar to AMD's Mantle in the way that it will work to help with CPU Overhead. Something DirectX11 does quite poorly in certain titles.

dx12 isn't going to be the killer APU we've been waiting for. I can't ever remember a time when a new version of dx10 actually lived up to the hype!

it will come out, we will all get a marginal fps boost in games and that will be deemed a success.

mantle has some promising results so if they can pull off something near that I'd be impressed.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

AMD get 600% increased when switching to Mantle from DX11 because AMD can't be bother to optimized their driver for DX11 Star Swarm. 

If DX12 behave similar to Mantle, VRAM usage will be higher compare to DX11. Just look what Mantle did to them 2GB cards, mostly unplayable so 3.5GB+0.5GB card is a no no. 

This is one thing Anandtech review didn't show, i wonder why. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

thanks everyone for this. especially Grizz. cheers ya'll

Since nobody here has a time machine or is a time lord, we will have to wait and see... always those questions what will be in 6 months...

All these benchmark are on a very synthetic base especially Starswarm that focuses on lighting effects. In 3D Mark the R9 290X gets totally obliterated by the GTX980, in realilty especially in 4K, there's at best 12-15% performance difference.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

because dx12 works the same as Mantle (big surprise, its no secret AMD engineers practically set up shop at microsoft and handed over mantle, to help them get dx12 working), The difference isn't going to be massive unless you have a crap cpu and boss graphic cards. using Mantle right now is basically like beta testing dx12, and there definitely are improvements, but nothing that is night and day. DAI is the first game that I noticed a huge decrease in cpu usage, but the frostbite engine eats CPU's for breakfast, no big surprise there.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Heyyo,

DirectX 12? Don't trust those damn Andantech benchmarks... Why in DirectX 11 is the GTX 750ti beating out the AMD R9 290? AMD probably haven't even bothered working on DirectX 11 on that stress test... that, plus not a SINGLE trace of DirectX 12 ready drivers from AMD or NVIDIA... just a random number. Until us PC Gamers can get our hands on the drivers and DirectX 12 benchmarks? Namely the stuff on Unreal Engine 4? I don't care what benchmark charts pop up on the net tbh. It's all rumors and hopeful wishing right meow...

because dx12 works the same as Mantle (big surprise, its no secret AMD engineers practically set up shop at microsoft and handed over mantle, to help them get dx12 working)

Err... what? Can you give a link to that statement? :P

I remember before when AMD was saying the opposite and were touting Mantle as the future of gaming...

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/04/12/1847250/amd-says-there-will-be-no-directx-12-ever

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Err... what? Can you give a link to that statement? :P

Pcper interview with AMD Rep at some point during 2014. I'm not going to go dig it up, but its somewhere on pcper's youtube channel  :lol:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I remember the hype surrounded mantel's release. I'm not holding my breath.

My daily driver.

• CPU
    Intel i5 6600 K
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • RAM
    16 Gig of G.Skill TridentZ Series 3000 Mhz
  • GPU
    EVGA 1070 FTW edition
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 Series 250GB for boot + WD 2TB Black
  • PSU
    Corsair RM 750W
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100 V2
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K 70 LUX
  • Mouse
    Corsair Raptor M45
  • PCPartPicker URL

The DX12 demo is a worst case scenario, not realistic. Expect the same improvement from DX11->Mantle as DX11->DX12 on AMD hardware. Expect less of an improvement on nvidia cards because they are better optimized for DX11 than AMD is. DX12 should help AMD close the gap to nivdia, which is probably the main reason they created mantle.

600%......... :rolleyes:

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

TBH any sort of boost in games will be a good thing when DX12 pokes out his sneaky head. As for the vram issue with DX12 well will have to wait and see. Makes me wish I was a console gamer lol