So I almost had a heart attack

TopWargamer

Was it originally 939 lol

yeah haha

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I was trying to remove a heatsink from an AMD Phenom II X4 CPU but the thermal paste was holding it together.

So I twisted and turned the heatsink to try and get it and and *pop* out comes the CPU with it. This is without the safety latch being pulled up meaning it should've been pretty securely in there.

This almost gave me a heart attack because this was my first computer and I didn't have the money, time, or energy to get a new one then.

Well, I decided "oh well", pried the CPU off the Heatsink and re-seated it after inspecting all the pins. Everything seemed fine.

After re-installing everything along with the new heatsink, the computer worked like a champ and has been to this day. 

My respect for the ruggedness of CPU's grew tenfold that day.

Same exact thing happened to me. One day I was going to replace the thermal compound on my stock amd cooler, but when I removed my cooler, I was surprised to find that my cpu (FX-8120) came off with it. Unfortunate for me though because I actually did bend a few pins, so I spent about 3 hours locating them and then straightening them with a gift card. Luckily the pins were just bent a tad to the left but just enough to make my CPU not fit in the socket.

From now on I am going to be extremely careful so that I don't actually break a CPU. lol

"No signature"

I have a Macbook and I once spilt coffee all over the keyboard. None of the keys worked properly, but I had a warranty and Apple replaced the keyboard for free, so it wasn't a huge deal.

The Macbook in question has had the screen, keyboard, base cover, and internals all replaced at separate points in its lifetime (I've owned it since 2010) - yes, the entire computer has been replaced under Apple warranty, component by component.

My V-Moda Crossfade LP's fell on the floor ans the earcups got detached from the headband, they are solid thought so I just re-assembled it. 

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Built a PC for someone, went to turn it on for the first time and it just wouldn't go. After an hour of panicking I found the 24 pin wasn't in properly (smooth). I've done the same to my own PC aswell, cleaned it and left the CPU power unplugged. I have a habit of doing that.

My PC didn't post after a bios update but after doing a CMOS reset it fixed it! :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I actually almost had one today. (LOL)

I was cleaning the water tank for my turtles(2), so I've put them on the grass, while I've gone to clean the tank (like 1 minute), on the way back I saw two big fat cats running thru my lawn. I got really scarred because cats here are known for hunting down birds and stuff, so I ran back to them, than it got even worst. I couldn't find one of them.

I was really scarred for like 30 seconds, but than I saw him hiding in the grass. There ok. now, and so am I.  :P 

It's not a tech related thing so here's one: I've had tech heart attacks pretty much every time I dropped my phone, or couldn't find it(like in a public place where someone could steal it), this could be said for my Nintendo 3DS aswell  ;) 

When I tried to use bump to send someone a photo to his non nfc enabled device. And he bumped way too powerfully. My phone was flying in the air, it was like the slow motion parts in movies... "NOOOOOOOOOO" and the phone landed on the screen... I thought I had a heart attack... Because my phone was new. Lucky my phone survived it like a champ!

That's when I uninstalled bump from my phone...

Completely fucked up my laptop not too long ago cuz stupid me was diggin inside of it. Put it back together only to see a "No Operating System Found" message.

BLAOW!!!!

Completely fucked up my laptop not too long ago cuz stupid me was diggin inside of it. Put it back together only to see a "No Operating System Found" message.

Screwed the hard drive or broke the connectors?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Screwed the hard drive or broke the connectors?

Im guessing something with the Hard Drive. Maybe I placed it the wrong way when putting it back but i doubt it. Or? Well in BIOS it says HDD: None

BLAOW!!!!

Im guessing something with the Hard Drive. Maybe I placed it the wrong way when putting it back but i doubt it. Or? Well in BIOS it says HDD: None

Well that sucks lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I have a Macbook and I once spilt coffee all over the keyboard. None of the keys worked properly, but I had a warranty and Apple replaced the keyboard for free, so it wasn't a huge deal.

The Macbook in question has had the screen, keyboard, base cover, and internals all replaced at separate points in its lifetime (I've owned it since 2010) - yes, the entire computer has been replaced under Apple warranty, component by component.

Haha I bet when you call their customer support they just asked you,"Okay what part of you Macbook would you like us to replace this time."  :D

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Well that sucks lol

kinda does and kinda doesnt

BLAOW!!!!

I brought a radeon 6770 and my dad wanted to see it, i went down stairs and completely fucked up and fell to the bottem in a bundled and mildly winded state, two blades fell of the fan and the sides of the heatsink had gone to hell. It still works. It made a weird whistle noise however.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I brought a radeon 6770 and my dad wanted to see it, i went down stairs and completely fucked up and fell to the bottem in a bundled and mildly winded state, two blades fell of the fan and the sides of the heatsink had gone to hell. It still works. It made a weird whistle noise however.

Is that why you now have a 7870 in your sig

Is that why you now have a 7870 in your sig

You are correct.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Just built my first comp and when I put the CPU in it took what seemed like a lot of force and the sound it made made me think I was crushing the pins.

i7-4770k 4.7Ghz delidded w/ H100i | Z87-GD65 | 8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 | Asus GTX 780 DC2OC@1241/1772 | Corsair AX760 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Corsair Force GT 60GB | Hatachi Laptop 360GB HHD | HAF 922 | Win 8.1 64-bit | Razer Ouroboros |

Siberia V2 | Logitech K120

Xbox360 | Tritton 720+ | Xim3

I left my computer playing music while I went down stairs, My sister came down and said "Your computer is making a weird sound" I figured it was just a audio problem or something. When I got up stairs I smelled something burning, ran to my computer and hit the switch on the PSU to turn it off. I turned around to tell my Mom that my computer might be fried and saw her holding some matches.

CPU: Intel i5 2310 Mobo: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: MSI 760 Twin Frozr 4GB RAM: 8GB ADATA XPG Gaming Series 

Storage: OCZ Aglility 3 120 GB SSD, 2 250GB Segate HDDs Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520W

Dang, after 5 years with no problems I spilled a full cup of coffee directly over my ThinkPad T61.  The coffee went directly over the CPU/GPU/PCIe tray and the computer instantly turned off.  After drying it out I was amazed to see everything except the Esc key still works and my exhaust smells like French Vanilla :lol: . I'll be upgrading with Haswell anyways, but still not fun.

repeated bsod ... though my raid array was no more (raid 0, yeah i live on the edge) turns out a stick of ram was bad 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

After building my rig, installing everything and so on, I started to game. After about 10-20mins I started to smell something, looked at my rig and all I saw was smoke spewing out the back of the case and up the wall then sparks and it died. After panicking for about 30 mins I dared to take the side panel off.

Everything was fine, turned out I had literally BURNT out my PSU.

Turns out that the GTX 550Ti is a 32amp GPU and the PSU only supported a 28amp GPU.

When it happened my hart was pounding so hard I actually thought I might have a Heart attack.

Intel i7 4790k | Corsair H110i GTX | MSI Z97S Krait | 16GB HyperX Fury | ASUS Strix GTX 970 | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SSHD | WD 3TB Green | Corsair TX750M | 

Corsair Graphite 760t White | 3x AOC i2267Fwh 21.5 inch IPS Monitor 1080p | Corsair Raptor k50 RGB | Logitech G500 | Blue Snowball

I left my computer playing music while I went down stairs, My sister came down and said "Your computer is making a weird sound" I figured it was just a audio problem or something. When I got up stairs I smelled something burning, ran to my computer and hit the switch on the PSU to turn it off. I turned around to tell my Mom that my computer might be fried and saw her holding some matches.

That's an awesome prank, but i would kill my family if they did that to me

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I had one of these when I opened my first computer and messed with the parts :p but I ended up booting up and hearing a violent beeping and I panicked and I was soooo scared (I was about 9 years old) but then I looked in the case and noticed I had incorrectly placed in the RAM

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball