recommended mobo for an Intel 4930k

I'm building my next computer piece by piece as my funds allow and next on my list is the motherboard. I was just looking for some suggestions to go with Intel 4930k cpu. I'll use it mostly for gaming, recording, and video editing.

right now I have a gtx 970 that I'll be using until I can upgrade to a 980 and then eventually dual 980's.

thanks in advance

buying a 970 only so you can upgrade to a 980 is just stupid

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

dual 970s would be more than enough 

CPU:AMD FX-8320, RAM:Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600, GPU:MSI Radeon R9 280, Case:Cooler Master 690 III, PSU:Thermaltake Smart 650W

Storage:WD Purple 1TB, CPU Cooler:Hyper 212 EVO, Keyboard:SCI Granite, OS:win 8.1 64bit, Display:Samsung SyncMaster SA100, Mouse:CM Storm Spawn

buying a 970 only so you can upgrade to a 980 is just stupid

I already had the 970 from another computer when I didn't have as much of a budget

you know that the haswell-e is out, dont you?

what is your budget for the mainboard?

around $500 is my max right now for the motherboard

around $500 is my max right now for the motherboard

Yeah, you don't even need a motherboard that's over $350, especially not for the 4930k. Maybe if you were getting a 5820k or higher, but even still.

Any X79 motherboard will be fine, just don't buy Gigabyte,  because there BIOSes are complete sh*t when it comes to LGA 2011 processors. Anything from Asus or MSI will be just fine. Just get the board that you like best with the features you need. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

dual 970s would be more than enough 

the original plan was to upgrade to the 980's then give my 970 to a friend; but after some thought two 970's does make more sense. thanks for the tip

EVGA or ASUS Rampage series. Currently using a EVGA X99 Classified and oh baby... that motherboard blew me away with all of the features. The lack of S.A.S. ports stinks, but personally I don't ever using S.A.S. because I'd rather get a PCIe SSD or M.2 Sata drive if I were to upgrade storage. The built in Quad Core 3D Audio from Creative really tickles my fancy. Plus, the motherboard looks NICE.

is there a difference between lga 2011 and lga 2011-3? 

LGA2011-v3 supports DDR4 ram and higher clocked ram. Otherwise I'm not sure, it's just better to buy the newer stuff generally speaking. Plus it's exclusive for the i7 59XX chips. So far upgrading from Z77 to X99 has been brilliant, faster video encoding and easier work flow for my AutoCAD/Solid Works. Games are a tad faster and using my computer feels a little bit smoother. I am considering buying another 16GB G.Skill DDR4 Series 4 2666 kit for content creation and AutoCAD.

Thanks for the explanation. I was looking at a few lga 2011-3 boards but I was afraid my cpu may not be compatible. Does it only work on 59xx processors? Or will the 4930k also work?

No LGA2011 processors, only LGA2011-V3. No i7; 3820K, 3930K, 3960X, 4820K, 4930K, & 4960X. Only the i7 5820K, 5930K, and 5960X.

thanks for clearing that up for me. as much as i liked the evga x99, it won't work for the cpu i already have.

thanks though