Same Sex Marriage? (your view)

Bicko96

hellz yeah, you can't stop this train.

*Checks fuel gauge* we'll see :P

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I know, I just find it hilarious  :lol:

Also, why do you hate Richard Dawkins?

I don't have a problem with what he is saying, just the way he says it. I find it unbecoming of a scientist and unprofessional to mock people or belittle them. Regardless of whether he is right, wrong or indifferent. 

I think the better man should always respect other peoples right to believe something even if it makes no logical or rational sense. 

I guess in short I find that his derisory manner undermines his authority as a scientist.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't have a problem with what he is saying, just the way he says it. I find it unbecoming of a scientist and unprofessional to mock people or belittle them. Regardless of whether he is right, wrong or indifferent. 

I think the better man should always respect other peoples right to believe something even if it makes no logical or rational sense. 

I guess in short I find that his derisory manner undermines his authority as a scientist.

Even the great Neil Degrasse Tyson has commented and given polite rebuke toward Dawkins' approach when it comes to stating fact or debating. I personally find his knowledge of evolutonary biology to be incredibly vast. Though i much prefer AronRa, he's fairly easy to understand and he shares a lot of my views on religion and politics. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I honestly do not see why it's perceived as taboo. LEAVE THESE PEOPLE ALONE!!!

It's taboo because our society says it is. This is due in part to centuries of indoctrination and maliciously intended unsubstantiated claims. Look at some of the films that were shown to school children during the 40's and 50's. They portrayed all homosexuals as predators and as people of ill intent and as criminals. They told you to report someone whom you thought might be homosexual to the authorities.. Keep in mind that during this time it was illegal in countries like England and still is illegal in places like Iran. Just because 10% of the population are different than the rest, it doesn't mean it's unnatural or it gives us the right to harm them. I have been in debates over this same subject with many people and some people actually said the violence against gays is a fabrication and it doesn't happen, Even though there are thousands of documented examples of hate crimes with regards to sexual orientation in The United States alone. Not to mention in the most religious countries and strictest regimes allowing the killing of someone for the simple fact they are born with same sex attraction. There is no excuse for someone to not like you based on your sexual orientation, because there is no reason for it. I have yet to hear any good evidence against it and in fact all of the evidence supports supports it. The same people that are fighting against equality for LGBT people will be compared to the same people that were for slavery in the 1800's and in support of segregation in the 1950's and who opposed integrated marriage in the 1960's. All of those things came to fruition because people realized there is no reason for that type of discrimination nor any kind.

I will keep fighting for this cause till the day that I die, I will keep arguing for the cause in hopes of making the world a better place for everyone. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I don't have a problem with what he is saying, just the way he says it. I find it unbecoming of a scientist and unprofessional to mock people or belittle them. Regardless of whether he is right, wrong or indifferent.

I think the better man should always respect other peoples right to believe something even if it makes no logical or rational sense.

I guess in short I find that his derisory manner undermines his authority as a scientist.

I haven't really seen any examples of belittlement or disrespect as of yet. He can be stern and to the point but also very patient which I admire, as well as being very intelligent and has contributed a lot to evolutionary understanding. A lot of people mistake his mannerisms and tone for mocking or degradation when he's just being honest. The same goes for Christopher Hitchens. Their intentions are positive in the way that they want people to think for themselves in a logical manner, be free, and look at the world around them.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I haven't really seen any examples of belittlement or disrespect as of yet. He can be stern and to the point but also very patient which I admire, as well as being very intelligent and has contributed a lot to evolutionary understanding. A lot of people mistake his mannerisms and tone for mocking or degradation when he's just being honest. The same goes for Christopher Hitchens. Their intentions are positive in the way that they want people to think for themselves in a logical manner and look at the world around them.

I miss Hitchens a lot, he was a great voice for reason. See the reason why people think Dawkins sounds arrogant is because to be completely honest he is used to dealing with a lot of intelligent people rather than just every day folks. That is why people like Bill O'reily think that he is arrogant, it's because Dawkins is speaking on a level that some people can't understand. It's like some people (especially in the US) think if you use large words and complicated sentences, you are automatically a pompous asshole.

Hail Sithis!

I miss Hitchens a lot, he was a great voice for reason. See the reason why people think Dawkins sounds arrogant is because to be completely honest he is used to dealing with a lot of intelligent people rather than just every day folks. That is why people like Bill O'reily think that he is arrogant, it's because Dawkins is speaking on a level that some people can't understand. It's like some people (especially in the US) think if you use large words and complicated sentences, you are automatically a pompous asshole.

I remember watching a video where he pretty much said exactly this. (Big words + intelligence + honesty) =/= (arrogance + disrespect). He and Lawrence Krauss explain themselves very well here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjeD-9LcfWM

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I know this video has been edited to prove a specific point, but the simple fact of the matter is that the author didn't have to edit much.  These are not the words of a scientist but the words of someone with a bee in his bonnet.  There are much more respectable ways to educate people about science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzvEizDLLSs

I feel if you want someone to listen to what you have to say then don't insult them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I know this video has been edited to prove a specific point, but the simple fact of the matter is that the author didn't have to edit much.  These are not the words of a scientist but the words of someone with a bee in his bonnet.  There are much more respectable ways to educate people about science.

I feel if you want someone to listen to what you have to say then don't insult them.

I haven't seen that before, and I don't really side with or advocate for anyone, but it IS easy to cherry pick something like that. It's only one example I've seen and 9 times out of 10 he conducts himself very well. I'm all for the advocation of knowledge and free will/free thinking that he aims for. You could go on about the god of the old testament and it'd be the same thing...

I haven't seen that before, and I don't really side with or advocate for anyone, but it IS easy to cherry pick something like that. It's only one example I've seen and 9 times out of 10 he conducts himself very well. I'm all for the advocation of knowledge and free will/free thinking that he aims for. You could go on about the god of the old testament and it'd be the same thing...

And some Christians do, which is why they have a bad name, but I get just as pissed with them for being D**kheads as I do with Dawkins for being egotistical.

This is why I am becoming a grumpy old man, the world is too small and life is too short to run around insulting people and preventing others from having equal legal rights.

And some Christians do, which is why they have a bad name, but I get just as pissed with them for being D**kheads as I do with Dawkins for being egotistical.

This is why I am becoming a grumpy old man, the world is too small and life is too short to run around insulting people and preventing others from having equal legal rights.

If you follow the 613 commandments you'll live forever though  ;)

BUT don't some contradict each other? basically making it impossible....

Hail Sithis!

BUT don't some contradict each other? basically making it impossible....

It's all nonsense to me, you can't even live without sin. Can a rapist be 'saved'?

I don't want to live forever if I am grumpy for the rest of it.

It's all nonsense to me, you can't even live without sin. Can a rapist be 'saved'?

philosophically yes, in reality... well.... that is different story all together. I don't know.

I have no problem with same sex marriage as long as those people aren't one of those that runs on the street screaming that they are gay and nearly having sex on those rainbow parades. That's just stupid. If they can live a relatively normal live, why not?

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

As an atheist and someone who has studied religion, i can tell you that you are correct in saying it's nonsense :)

We need a religious debate thread. I can do that all day.

Hail Sithis!

I have no problem with same sex marriage as long as those people aren't one of those that runs on the street screaming that they are gay and nearly having sex on those rainbow parades. That's just stupid. If they can live a relatively normal live, why not?

damn that was me, sorry if i scared you :)

Hail Sithis!

As an atheist and someone who has studied religion, i can tell you that you are correct in saying it's nonsense :)

We really do....

(really)

inb4 thread locked

I don't think I could, It's exhausting as I find myself constantly arguing with both the die hard religious and those who hate religion. 

philosophically yes, in reality... well.... that is different story all together. I don't know.

According to the bible, If a man rapes a woman he is to pay 50 god pieces to her father as payment for her and then he is made to marry her. so she is raped and sold as property and then forced to marry her rapist. so it seems to be cool with the bible....

Hail Sithis!

I don't think I could, It's exhausting as I find myself constantly arguing with both the die hard religious and those who hate religion. 

I could, because you tend to see someones true colors when you do that. 

Hail Sithis!

According to the bible, If a man rapes a woman he is to pay 50 god pieces to her father as payment for her and then he is made to marry her. so she is raped and sold as property and then forced to marry her rapist. so it seems to be cool with the bible....

Alright I give, if it only costs 50 gold pieces that isn't too expensive...    Don't wind me up I'll never sleep... :wacko:

Alright I give, if it only costs 50 gold pieces that isn't too expensive...    Don't wind me up I'll never sleep... :wacko:

I guess it's better than 12 camels 8 goats 5 chickens 2 cows 1 horse and a slightly used tennis racquet....

Hail Sithis!