DNA Will Revolutionize Data Storage

dlf

Source: http://startupdestiny.com/2015/02/05/dna-will-revolutionize-data-storage/

Quote:

DNA sequencing is following an exponential technology curve and is one step on a path towards controlling our own biological destinies.  From eliminating hereditary diseases by fixing specific genetic mutations to choosing physical and mental traits in our children, we are on the brink of a genetic revolution.  However, using DNA to store data is already possible and may be a game changer in the near future.

Let me explain 

In 2010, Dr. Craig Venter proved that DNA contains all of the necessary information for life by creating the first synthetic life form.  At the most recent Abundance 360 summit, he pointed out that the 4 building blocks of DNA (A, T, C and G) can be converted into binary (1s and 0s), which is the boolean system used by computers.  By converting ATCG into binary, it is possible to store and manipulate genetic code digitally.  Saving data to a synthetic DNA ‘hard drive’ works by converting binary back into ATCG.

DNA has evolved over billions of years to efficiently store information.  In 2012, researchers fit 700 Terabytes of information into a single gram of DNA. Storing that much data on digital hard drives would require hard drives weighing ~151 kilos (333 lbs).  This technology is improving exponentially and the very next year, researchers tripled the storage density to 2,200 Terabytes per gram of DNA.

IBM predicts that 35 Zetabytes (35 billion Terabytes) of data will be generated annually in 2020.  That’s ~7.6 billion kilos (8.4 million tons) of additional hard drive capacity required annually.  The average skyscraper, like the Sears Tower, is ~222,500 tons, so we would need to build 378 new skyscrapers in 2020 just to house our data from that year.  New York City has ~250 skyscrapers, so imagine building a new data storage city as big as NYC each year.

Even assuming that DNA data storage density doesn’t improve from the 2013 rate of 2,200 Terabytes per gram of DNA, we could store all 35 Zetabytes of annual data in ~15,909 kilos (17 tons) of DNA.  That’s less than 2 buses worth.

The primary thing holding this technology back is the current expense of sequencing DNA to convert the data back to binary.  Current DNA sequencing techniques cost ~$12k per Megabyte, which means that sequencing DNA that contains a 1 Gigabyte movie would cost $12 million.

DNA sequencing is an exponential technology and the cost is falling quickly.  Given the amount of data we will soon be generating and the physical space that would be required using hard drives, DNA data storage may be our only hope.

How many grams is our entire DNA? It'd be AMAZING to have 2.2 PETABYTES (2000 terabytes) of storage. With a PB or more I think we could all fit our entire (the entire site) steam library . . . . .  IB (In before) obvious use . . . .

Yeah I forgot how much data sperm has but it was a lot.

Edit: it is 15mb so a shot is around 1,500 TB.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5972863/sperm-carry-over-37-megabytes-of-dna-data-and-other-amazing-science-facts

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Id love to becom a walking storage.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Holy fuck I wasted so much free space :o

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

A single sperm has 37.5mb of DNA information in it. That means that a normal ejaculation represents a data transfer of roughly 1,500TB in about 3 seconds... And you thought 4G was fast.

That's a lot of information to swallow. (literally)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

When can I start storing Linux on my face?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Voyager did it.

Intrepid_class_top_quarter_aft.jpg

Not Simpsons, for once.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Voyager did it.

Intrepid_class_top_quarter_aft.jpg

Not Simpsons, for once.

I was about to post this! You beat me to it :P

This is super cool that this is actually a thing :D

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I wonder how much data my feces can hold.

inb4 nsa set up water treatment plants just to search "terrorist plans" that might be inside the poop

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

DNA? People in the US will start petitions asking to ban it.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

i've read this before, but i can't find the link to the news post i read it from

if this become a thing we'll be able to store everything in the world

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

this is amazing.... dna hard drives! but the weight will turn off craptop  laptop manufactures for sure.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

this is amazing.... dna hard drives! but the weight will turn off craptop  laptop manufactures for sure.

I doubt it will be that heavy, look at the company called Illumina, they use a sheet of glass that tests for the hydrogen in the acid in your DNA, the technology they use could be shrinked down even more so the drive could be literally 1cmx1cm

"

DNA has evolved over billions of years to efficiently store information"

Religion
getty_rm_photo_of_cold_water_on_burnt_ha

Ontopic - people holding people for ransom (their sacred DNA data) :(

Future is promising, and scary.

Fingerprint/thumbprick scanners to unlock PC / storage?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

DNA? People in the US will start petitions asking to ban it.

In other news the ban on dihydrogen monoxide has been banned

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

In other news the ban on dihydrogen monoxide has been banned

HAH. You mean the "climate change" in California?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Holy fuck I wasted so much free space :o

You cut yourself ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

You cut yourself ??

Whacking off - Permanent data removal.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You cut yourself ??

I don't believe that was what he implied if you know what I mean  ;)

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

There is a special pen, with ink that is made with your own DNA.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I wonder what a DNA drive would look like...

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15