What's the point of expensive non-gaming ultrabooks ?

Si3Rra_7

If it's not for gaming , editing or other intensive tasks ( aka has only integrated graphics ) , why do they keep adding i7s and 2.5k+ monitors to ultrabooks ?

The XPS video triggered this very angry question inside me . Huge resolutions are mainly for multitasking , photo/video editing , gaming ( all nearly impossible with either such a small display or weak gpu ) . I7s are for the same uses stated above . 

Also , people get big resolution monitors because they're willing to make the trade-off of comfortable OS text size with the space it provides for editing , or for gaming ( as i said above ) . But when you put big res monitors on a small , kinda weak gpu wise machine , you're only getting the bad part of the trade-off . 

Who are these ultrabooks for ???? ( except Linus where in a infinitely mysterious way manages to cap the laptop's powers with chrome , something i've done on my 8gb of ram only by running skyrim at 1440p fully modded , meanwhile hosting a teamspeak server , and having 10 tabs open in chrome  of skyrim wiki and 2 hours videos )

Why do they keep adding i7s and 2.5k+ monitors to ultrabooks ?

Because people who don't know better keep buying them.

Business users, crave faster systems over their piece of crap notebooks from years ago, and these powerful parts enable them to keep their laptop for longer...

(Even if its all in their head, thats enough justification, and when given a budget for these things, some businesses do go complete overkill)

^Probably not the reason but... i7 + SSD is overkill for most tasks, and people would figure it will last a hell of a lot longer.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Why put i7 and 3k? To sell it. Simple as that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If it's not for gaming , editing or other intensive tasks ( aka has only integrated graphics ) , why do they keep adding i7s and 2.5k+ monitors to ultrabooks ?

The XPS video triggered this very angry question inside me . Huge resolutions are mainly for multitasking , photo/video editing , gaming ( all nearly impossible with either such a small display or weak gpu ) . I7s are for the same uses stated above . 

Also , people get big resolution monitors because they're willing to make the trade-off of comfortable OS text size with the space it provides for editing , or for gaming ( as i said above ) . But when you put big res monitors on a small , kinda weak gpu wise machine , you're only getting the bad part of the trade-off . 

Who are these ultrabooks for ???? ( except Linus where in a infinitely mysterious way manages to cap the laptop's powers with chrome , something i've done on my 8gb of ram only by running skyrim at 1440p fully modded , meanwhile hosting a teamspeak server , and having 10 tabs open in chrome  of skyrim wiki and 2 hours videos )

because my dads I9-920 is 7 years old and more then enough. and tech is just slowing down. That means a I7 for basic tasks should last 8+ years unless something revolutionary happens. with a super high res screen, youll be more then happy 4 years from now.

What's the point of 1000+ macbooks? Dells is trying to compete with Apple with this ultrabook. General consumers want slim laptops with good battery life now-a-days.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

The premium feel of a Macbook.

Not everyone needs a beefy GPU. 

For a customer: to game on it and a bit to show off

For a company: to make money.

As simple as that

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I would say that these notebooks are for people that want a good screen for watching movies and a daily-use machine. I recently got an Inspiron 13" 7000 notebook and that is what I use it for, and do some light gaming on it occationally.

yeah 75%+ videos on youtube only go up to 720p , it'll look bad similar to how good 1080p looked on my old 1080p monitor and how wierd 1080p looks now on my 1440p screen , 

because my dads I9-920 is 7 years old and more then enough. and tech is just slowing down. That means a I7 for basic tasks should last 8+ years unless something revolutionary happens. with a super high res screen, youll be more then happy 4 years from now.

no.

this piece of technology is so expensive, nobody buys it and expects it to last for eight years. if you want it to last long, then you buy a 1/2 price laptop now and a 1/2 price laptop in four years.

people who buy this have a lot of money and will probably buy the xps 14/15 whatever comes next.

btw, more cpu power will always be necessary because tasks get more cpu intensive but resolution doesnt evolve in the same way. resolutions dont get 'outdated'.

Probably the average consumer using it for simple tasks. They could put a low end i5 in the laptop, but for a little extra they could put a low end i7 in. Which the average consumer thinks bigger numbers are better so they choose the i7 one at a higher price. Same thing with other components, it pisses me off how expensive laptop/netbooks compared to building a desktop.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

There is demand on market and the buyers are rich.

Yeah , this was such a useless review . It's mainly there so Linus can keep it since he ruined ( again in a infinitely misterious way *cough leaving it in the rain cough*) his "old"(high-end) laptop  jk

no.

this piece of technology is so expensive, nobody buys it and expects it to last for eight years. if you want it to last long, then you buy a 1/2 price laptop now and a 1/2 price laptop in four years.

people who buy this have a lot of money and will probably buy the xps 14/15 whatever comes next.

btw, more cpu power will always be necessary because tasks get more cpu intensive but resolution doesnt evolve in the same way. resolutions dont get 'outdated'.

No? As in the i7 in my dads computer doesn't work anymore? That's really creepy if you know that and I don't notice

Talking about the long life? How does a i7 from 4 years ago compare to a Pentium that you can get today? I3?

Im buying a laptop for college, and I'd take a 1000-1300 laptop that is half the weight, twice as fast, 3 times the battery life, and what. 4 times the res? Then my 600$ laptop from 2 years ago.

Probably the average consumer using it for simple tasks. They could put a low end i5 in the laptop, but for a little extra they could put a low end i7 in. Which the average consumer thinks bigger numbers are better so they choose the i7 one at a higher price. Same thing with other components, it pisses me off how expensive laptop/netbooks compared to building a desktop.

Sorry if this double post, but build me a custom PC that is 2.5lb so I can bring it to classes, and I'll agree with you.

Phones are 600$ and compared to a PC with a similar price, are not even comparable performance wise. Let alone phones that are pushing 1000$. Thing is your paying for portability. I know its overkill but the fact you can carry a 1080p-3k display in your hand is mind blowing

Because not everyone uses their machine for something that needs a big gpu. Some of us actually legitimately need processing power for work with gpu power being of lesser importance.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I hope you realize that you dont need a GPU to do productive things. For example, my macbook air can run OS X and Windows with Visual Studio open and compiling along with other apps while I am programming and doing other things as well. I can do that with no performance problems with an i5 and 4GB of ram. The built in graphics on the intel CPUs are pretty good anyways.

Sorry if this double post, but build me a custom PC that is 2.5lb so I can bring it to classes, and I'll agree with you.

Phones are 600$ and compared to a PC with a similar price, are not even comparable performance wise. Let alone phones that are pushing 1000$. Thing is your paying for portability. I know its overkill but the fact you can carry a 1080p-3k display in your hand is mind blowing

Yeah, I guess you are paying a lot for portability. But it's still a shame how you pay for something that much and they couldn't give the option of more ram at the lower tier model. 

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

Because not everyone uses their machine for something that needs a big gpu. Some of us actually legitimately need processing power for work with gpu power being of lesser importance.

Enlighten me and tell me what uses are you talking about ?

Yeah, I guess you are paying a lot for portability. But it's still a shame how you pay for something that much and they couldn't give the option of more ram at the lower tier model. 

Programming doesn't require that much cpu power , does it ?

For people who don't know any better and think these will be better than their 600$ competitors because they're more expensive, or have a higher number somewhere (the resolution for example). I get the point of light and relatively powerful laptops, but not at these prices to be honest. Since as you pointed out you're not going to do intensive tasks on them anyway one might as well get something cheaper that still is light and has a 1080p ips screen for office and movies on the go and spend the extra money on a decent desktop.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For people who don't know any better and think these will be better than their 600$ competitors because they're more expensive, or have a higher number somewhere (the resolution for example). I get the point of light and relatively powerful laptops, but not at these prices to be honest. Since as you pointed out you're not going to do intensive tasks on them anyway one might as well get something cheaper that still is light and has a 1080p ips screen for office and movies on the go and spend the extra money on a decent desktop.

I been looking hard, please enlighten me with a sub 3lb 13inch laptop with a i5/8 gigs of ram with decent battery life. Not trying to disagree, just genuinely interested as I need a light laptop that won't fall apart for 4 years, and last all day

These are ULV class i7s and are dual cores with HT so anyone comparing them to the desktop chips for longevity is wrong.

Some people like thin laptops with long battery life, a good screen is lovely to have on any computer as it makes using it much more pleasant, whilst I'd agree above 1440p panels in such a device isn't particularly necessarily once scaling is there it'd be nice to have. Better than manufactures constantly pumping out laptops for £600 and still using 1366x768 IMO.

They're for people who want a sleek laptop that will run cool, last a while, look professional, be nice to work with and doesn't weight 5kg and have dual GTX980Ms because most people aren't gamers- but still want nice premium products.

What kind of tasks are those? Video Editing? Those kind of tasks can run off an iGPU? But I think the OP was talking about average joes who buy computers for the sole purpose of web browsing and documents, and that they're overpaying for machines with i5/i7s

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

What kind of tasks are those? Video Editing? Those kind of tasks can run off an iGPU? But I think the OP was talking about average joes who buy computers for the sole purpose of web browsing and documents, and that they're overpaying for machines with i5/i7s

coming from the guy with a alienware:P

all joking aside, me, like many other people, are going off to college, or have a job where they need a laptop that lasts all day. so 8+ hours of battery life would be amazing, because yeah, theres usually plugs, but not always. and the last thing you want is your laptop to die during a 3 hour lecture, or working with a customer. 

Im going for the I5 or I7 mearly becuase its such a large investment, and the extra 200$ might double its lifespan. Most super portable ultrabooks/tabletpcs that are sub 700$ are pentiums. common sense is the I5 is going to last much longer then the Pentium. 

and if we talk about the xps 13, its a 13 inch laptop that fits in the form factor of a 11inch laptop, HUGE points for portability. its 2.5lbs(I think, know its under 3) which is HUGE for portablilty. and a 10 hour actual battery life. I can go the whole day actually using it and its so light its like its not even there in my backpack. thats what I want for college. thats why Im willing to pay a 400$ premium over something with a 4 hour battery life, and twice the weight. 

if the average joe has a deskjob, or this is being used 99$ of the time as a desktop, its a waste. but if your going to lug it around serveral miles of walking everyday, and use it in 5+ places everyday, for 4 years, yeah, its worth it. all depends on use case

This doesn't contribute anything to the topic, but my MacBook Air is phenomenal for YouTube, Twitch, forum browsing and schoolwork. I would even recommend any MacBook alone because the trackpad, amongst other great things, is simply superb.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))