What excactly happened here? (thermal paste burnt?)

Go to solution Solved by TDP_Equinox,

amd stock cooler is crap the thermal paste is burned becuse of the high temps the amd fx has created

So you're telling me that the same thermal paste that i use burnt under lower temps for shorter amount of time just because it's an AMD?

No, it's dust. 

OP, your temps are fine, just clean it off and apply a little less thermal paste this time. 

I removed the stock heatsink of my cpu to place a new one and came against these images :

LKqKCHs.jpg
YFWovnc.jpg
Thus i am unaible to understand what happened . Did i oc too much ? did i put very low/high amount of thermal paste? Thermal pasted used was artic silver 5 period is from sempteber 2014 pics were taken couple days ago

Ty for any kind of help

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

Kind of looks dusty to me. This would happen if you put too much thermal paste on(the heatsink wouldn't sit evenly and dust would find its way in the space). I've never seen that happen before, but its probably what happened.

How long was the cooler on there? The thermal paste on stock coolers is really cheap and can dry out, which looks like what happened.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

How long was the cooler on there? The thermal paste on stock coolers is really cheap and can dry out, which looks like what happened.

early sempteber 2014 the thermal paste was moist and not dry out

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

Kind of looks dusty to me. This would happen if you put too much thermal paste on(the heatsink wouldn't sit evenly and dust would find its way in the space). I've never seen that happen before, but its probably what happened.

Maybe but when i tried to remove it was very tightly placed almost like melded to one body and needed quite the force to remove it .Dunno if it was just dust

Looks like dust intrusion..... And some thermal paste won't dry out

I can attest to some not drying out, I pulled the heatsink off my old Celeron 300A, and it was still good.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

How much did you OC? Cause the first thing I read was that you OC'd on a stock cooler, the absolute don't...

Thus i am unaible to understand what happened . Did i oc too much ? did i put very low/high amount of thermal paste? Thermal pasted used was artic silver 5 period is from sempteber 2014 pics were taken couple days ago

Ty for any kind of help

Looks more like too much was applied and the retention mechanism wasn't holding it down tight enough. Just need a dab of it the size of a grain of rice dead center of the chip. Those stock AMD heatsinks have become terrible over the last few revisions.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

How much did you OC? Cause the first thing I read was that you OC'd on a stock cooler, the absolute don't...

Around 20% oc and it was running around 70 celcius under heavy load

Looks more like too much was applied and the retention mechanism wasn't holding it down tight enough. Just need a dab of it the size of a grain of rice dead center of the chip. Those stock AMD heatsinks have become terrible over the last few revisions.

I see

Looks like accumulated dirt, dust, or some organism eating the paste. Anyway just rub it off with good dose of rubbing/isopropyl alcohol and you're all good for new paste and cooler.

How organisms eat the paste? ._.

i could get past 4Ghz on my Pentium G3258 on the stock cooler at around 60-70°C on 1.35v so if you have a 2 core.... it doesnt matter that much... idk bout other

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

i could get past 4Ghz on my Pentium G3258 on the stock cooler at around 60-70°C on 1.35v so if you have a 2 core.... it doesnt matter that much... idk bout other

well i have an athlon X2 and i reach there also  wtih same tempetures but with 1.45v

1.35V on the stock cooler?

We have a bad ass here

We have a bad ass here

I had 1.5volts in that stock cooler that is why i wonder if i overoltage it but it was stable as a rock

We have a bad ass here

well... its nothing... it was under 80°C

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

I had 1.5volts in that stock cooler that is why i wonder if i overoltage it but it was stable as a rock

imho 1.5 is a lot .... i would not want to go past 1.4 some ppl even say to stay avay from 1.35

imho 1.5 is a lot .... i would not want to go past 1.4 some ppl even say to stay avay from 1.35

It is an AMD maybe that stands for intel? or it does not make a difrence?

It is an AMD maybe that stands for intel? or it does not make a difrence?

i know nothing bout amd cpus :D well... i know that they are good budget cpus up to a point

your cpu will die way before you could scorch thermal compound! unless you used something other than pc grade stuff??

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

amd stock cooler is crap the thermal paste is burned becuse of the high temps the amd fx has created

Athlon X2 2xx (45 nm)? Then even 1.6 V is safe

Oh really? Can you verify that before i toast my pc? xD

Just looks like old thermal paste and dust to me. If it's not overheating, don't worry about it.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

It looks like old thermal past and dust. Clean it out thoroughly and apply a new layer.