Linus Tech Tips Forums Should Get A Linux Forum

It's not a big part of LTT, and we already have an OS and Software subforum, which covers that and a slew of other things.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Linux is a huge part of the community and it won't hurt the site to have an area for operating systems. A sub forum where people could ask for advice or other things that deal with OSes such as Windows or Linux. So what do you think?

It's not really "huge part" of the community, but a subforum would certainly be nice 

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

We do have an OS sub-forum....

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Linux is a huge part of the community and it won't hurt the site to have an area for operating systems. A sub forum where people could ask for advice or other things that deal with OSes such as Windows or Linux. So what do you think?

IMO dedicated sections for cars and anime would be more popular then a dedicated Linux section

"Rawr XD"

There are places to do so... and as the majority portion of people on here (or so it seems) are in the gaming club, Windows is the majority holder in that regard. That being said I personally have answered questions regarding linux already, usually in general chat so..

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I have to agree with the OP. And to parrot Logan from Tek Syndicate about Linus' recent "iSwitched to iMac" video

You're going in the wrong direction. Good for going away from windows, but way wrong direction.

There are places to do so... and as the majority portion of people on here (or so it seems) are in the gaming club, Windows is the majority holder in that regard. That being said I personally have answered questions regarding linux already, usually in general chat so..

For the moment it is. But MS keeps being complete dickheads they're going to lose that (apparently) unwanted crown

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

IMO dedicated sections for cars and anime would be more popular then a dedicated Linux section

tumblr_me6t8ivz3V1r3zupao1_500.gif

It's a tech forum, not 9GAG!

Well take into consideration the car thread and anime thread are the most popular ongoing LTT threads

"Rawr XD"

I'm fairly annoyed with having to sift through all the mundane "windows 10" help and "I have a virus. PLS HALP!?!?!?" threads to find Unix/Linux related threads, that aren't "Which distro is the bestest, plox halp?".

People being stupid and lazy makes me sad.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I am mostly into using windows and osx myself, but I think it is a good idea.

Top reasons I can think of offthe top of my head, they are all basically the same thing:

- this is a tech forum why not broaden the base even if it's just a little

- there may be an OS sub forum but like others have said it's difficult to have to sift through the threads to find something relevant to Linux

- allows other users to experiment with Linux and ask help from other members that are more experienced with it.

- keeps the Linux topics from annoying the windows users.

It's not a big part of LTT, and we already have an OS and Software subforum, which covers that and a slew of other things.

It's not really "huge part" of the community, but a subforum would certainly be nice 

We do have an OS sub-forum....

I am mostly into using windows and osx myself, but I think it is a good idea.

Top reasons I can think of offthe top of my head, they are all basically the same thing:

- this is a tech forum why not broaden the base even if it's just a little

- there may be an OS sub forum but like others have said it's difficult to have to sift through the threads to find something relevant to Linux

- allows other users to experiment with Linux and ask help from other members that are more experienced with it.

- keeps the Linux topics from annoying the windows users.

I'm fairly annoyed with having to sift through all the mundane "windows 10" help and "I have a virus. PLS HALP!?!?!?" threads to find Unix/Linux related threads, that aren't "Which distro is the bestest, plox halp?".

People being stupid and lazy makes me sad.

Well take into consideration the car thread and anime thread are the most popular ongoing LTT threads

tumblr_me6t8ivz3V1r3zupao1_500.gif

I would be for it.

I have to agree with the OP. And to parrot Logan from Tek Syndicate about Linus' recent "iSwitched to iMac" video

You're going in the wrong direction. Good for going away from windows, but way wrong direction.

For the moment it is. But MS keeps being complete dickheads they're going to lose that (apparently) unwanted crown

I was going to watch The Daily Show before bed but I see this has gotten attention from when I left. 

Sifting through what all of you are saying, I do NOW realize there is an OS area. What I intended when I said for an OS forum was a spot on the main page, Like Video Games or Computer Hardware. Anyhooters, someone up there said that this a mainly Windows dominated community and that is true. Although the LTT forums should extend beyond that. I mean it's obvious people want additions and growth here. Look at the off topic sub forum, they have almost 540,000 replies. Also to address the user "bradscoolio" there are always people who want help, they don't know how annoying it is to everyone else that they just waltz on over to this forum and ask. Also wouldn't you think Linux users who are dedicated enough to go on forums would say "Which distro is the bestest, plox halp"? Same goes for Windows. Lastly to the user "MbV93" who claims to be a Power Ranger: it's a bit rhetorical to comment about this place not being the cancer that 9GAG is and then adding a GIF from Good Luck Charlie.

How about a subforum for pictures of Linus? Preferably nudes.

Linus is my fetish.

There is a subforum dedicated to operating systems already :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You and I both know it'll get shot down. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You and I both know it'll get shot down. :P

Just like the mac osx section even a big private chat with pretry much all the mods and @Builder didn't work out. If linus doesn't want it it won't happen, a disadvantage of small companies I would say, the owner has too much power.

Interested in Business and Technology

A Linux subforum would be great, since it arguable has a lot of non intuitive features,

It would also be a great place to help each other improve Linux

Not enough content. Even laptops get more content than Linux. Recently its had some growth in OS section which is good but not nearly enough for own subforum. Same goes for Apple stuff which has also been suggested and shot down. Several times in fact.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i want that