780 to cheap 970

mechanicalfluff

Currently i have a 780 in my main rig. +160 core +390 mem

A nearby MicroCenter has the 970 g1 gaming for $314.

To people who've upgraded this way, is it worth it?

I play at 1440p and haven't come across any problems.

The 3.5gb issue doesn't concern me. I'm really looking for higher clock speeds/lower temps. The 3gb on my 780 hasn't given me any problems.

It's not worth it at all, they are extremely close performancewise.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Very minimal difference. I wouldn't. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Nah, you could try and find another 780 as long as you dont want to go 4K.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

The 3.5gb issue doesn't concern me. I'm really looking for higher clock speeds/lower temps. The 3gb on my 780 hasn't given me any problems.

Not worth it. I own a 780 asus. And i don't even think of getting a change. If I had waited a couple weeks . I would have gotten the 970. But other than a small power difference. There is no obvious benefits

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

stick to that 780 or add another one in SLI 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

i'd suggest waiting until the 10XX or even 11XX series if nothing groundbreaking happens, the 780 should be fine if you dont go crazy with unoptimized games.

Wow, lol that was quick. Gotta love LTT :)

Looks like it's unanimous.

I'd like to buy another 780.. but it seems like i could almost buy 2 970's plus a couple bucks for the price of the single 780 nowadays :P 

5bca79e90093b484397447b4de5f7bd7.png

I've got an htpc running integrated.. maybe turn it into a steambox with the lesser of the two?

Nah, you could try and find another 780 as long as you dont want to go 4K.

970 is worse for 4k, it has fucked up memory, last 512 MB is slower then RAM, so do not buy it unless you play 1080p only. even on 2k it will be fucked up.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

970 is worse for 4k, it has fucked up memory, last 512 MB is slower then RAM, so do not buy it unless you play 1080p only. even on 2k it will be fucked up.

yeah yeah we all know that... and what do you mean by "fucked up" the 970 is still better than the 780

yeah yeah we all know that... and what do you mean by "fucked up" the 970 is still better than the 780

1440p is fine on my 780 with 3gb. Dying Light runs a pretty consistent 60 with max textures, medium foliage/shadow with aa on (of course 0 viewdistance). It'll go down to around 48 rarely, but not often enough for me to care

1440p is fine on my 780 with 3gb. Dying Light runs a pretty consistent 60 with max textures, medium foliage/shadow with aa on (of course 0 viewdistance). It'll go down to around 48 rarely, but not often enough for me to care

i'm not trying to say that the 780 is bad or anything (i own a 750 ti lol). oh and that viewdistance is a killer!

i'm not trying to say that the 780 is bad or anything (i own a 750 ti lol). oh and that viewdistance is a killer!

i get you, i wasn't calling you on anything. just figuring it'll be a whole 512mB better than what i've already got without stutters :)

970 wasn't even mentioned in the post you quoted. Absolute shitposting!

You are severly missinformed.

OP, the 970 is just fine.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

970 still has more VRAM than 780. But, as many folks said - its mostly about the GPU chip, VRAM amount and bandwith has to be good enough, no benefit from excess. Performance wise - not worth it IMO. It will be better, but not that better to spend 340$ on a new GPU (from what I understand, you dont want to go for stock model because you are overclocking). At the very least, wait for AMD 300 release. If AMD delivers on their promises, nVidia will have to drop prices on their GPUs. However...well...you know...its AMD, so cant be sure lol.

You would sooner benefit from SLI than you would upgrading to a 970, considering it may cost the same.

So 3.5GB is worse than 3GB at higher resolutions?

I don't follow. 

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Wow, lol that was quick. Gotta love LTT :)

Looks like it's unanimous.

I'd like to buy another 780.. but it seems like i could almost buy 2 970's plus a couple bucks for the price of the single 780 nowadays :P

I've got an htpc running integrated.. maybe turn it into a steambox with the lesser of the two?

if you have a motherboard that supports SLI and a strong enough PSU i guess you could look for a USED card...i've seen some of them go for around 300$ up here in canada (kijiji)...might be worth it for you at 1440p.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

False load of BS.

Read this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation/2

While the last 512 Mb on the 970 is slower, it is optimised to only be used when the main 3.5 Gb partition is fully utilized instead of using the system memory as shared ram. The 512 mb is still twice as fast as going into shared ram, which means that any card with less than 3.5 Gb is still going to perform worse in situations where the Vram limit is exceeded.

For the price, the GTX 970 is still fantastic, yet it isnt worth upgrading to either the 970 or 980 from a 780 / 780 Gtx. GM204 as the name suggests is a successor to the GK104, and my 970s were still a perfect upgrade from my 680s, and they are plenty good enough to last until Pascal in 2016.

For an upgrade to the 780, you want to wait for the bigger Maxwell cards being released later this year, or look into R9 300s, or even wait for pascal too.

Linus is my fetish.

performance will be comparable. the temps will be better.

not worth IMO

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

well.. guys i took the plunge. Sure got a deal though. I got the salesman to drop it to 300, plus in NJ the sales tax was only 3.5%. 

Overclocks like a champ!! 

ad6cde769d71f9699f039480db353cb9.png

I noticed a pretty significant difference from the 780 in most cases. Aside from rendering video, it's great.

Sure it's not a big jump like 660 to 780, but i play A LOT of games. Overall satisfied :)

I put the 780 into my htpc and it's a much better experience than in-home streaming

well.. guys i took the plunge. Sure got a deal though. I got the salesman to drop it to 300, plus in NJ the sales tax was only 3.5%. 

Overclocks like a champ!! 

I noticed a pretty significant difference from the 780 in most cases. Aside from rendering video, it's great.

Sure it's not a big jump like 660 to 780, but i play A LOT of games. Overall satisfied :)

I put the 780 into my htpc and it's a much better experience than in-home streaming

Those prices on the 780 were really high ..

Anyways, glad it all worked and congrats on your new gpu.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Get another 780

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX