To ROG Swift or Not to ROG Swift

That is the question

Hey  LTT Members!

So my question goes like this, I ordered a Asus ROG Swift 27 inch monitor yesterday for 680 Us Dollars or 4449 DKR.

wich is a pretty good deal considering the normal price for this monitor in denmark is abot 810 US Dollars or 5300 DKR

But i now have my doubts if i should cancel my order and get back the money simple cause ive read ppl saying that this monitor is not worth it.

I currently have a 27 Inch IPS korean monitor (Crossover) and the asus would work as my main monitor and the Crossover would be my secondary monitor.

I Play loads of random games like Battlefield 4 (Hardline), Diablo 3 Heroes of the storm, Dying Light, H1Z1 and some more.

My current computer is 

Asus Maximus Impact 

I7 4770k

Asus GTX 780 Direct CuII

16 Gb of Ram 

I know that i will not be able to reach 144 FPS in some of the games but i am planning to upgrade my PC as soon as Nvidia releases some New and better GPU (maybe GTX 980ti)

I have never played on anything else than 60Hz monitors and im quite happy with gaming on my IPS allthou i do see some screen tearing and stuttering some times.

What do you guys think will this be a waste of my money or?

Ps. sorry for my not so good english :)

Gratz on the monitor!  :D

I will buy the RoG in 2 days, i cant wait. and why would it be a waste? you got the best monitor around man!

It depends what you mean by "worth it." It's certainly a good monitor and I don't think you'll regret owning one. Is it worth the cost of multiple 4K monitors? Not really.

If you do any kind of video work, stick with the IPS monitor, but if you don't the Swift is a really good monitor :)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

G-sync is deprecated at this point, I wouldn't buy into it. Nvidia will (hopefully) be forced into a position where they need to make their own implementation of adaptive-sync, so we could have a monitor that works properly with all GPUs. Also, you wouldn't have to pay the 200+ bucks premium.

spec wise that monitor is the best there is atm but i have read about a lot of problems about it too (you can go to the monitors thread in the rog forum and see for yourself).

The reason why i am not really sold on it is because of the fact that g-sync only works with nvidia cards and i don't really like being stuck with one company.

With just a single 780?

No.

You need two enthusiast Nvidia cards to make a RoG Swift worthwhile.

Because its 1440p 144Hz Gsync.

If I bought a high refresh-rate, high resolution monitor with G-Sync, I would consider it an investment. Remember, G-sync affords you a much smoother experience at 40fps, as well as capacity for 144fps so I wouldn't consider it wasted on a single 780 (or even lower).

I would also, however, remind you that you are an early adopter at the start of a format war. You know how that tends to go.

If you like to game and you have the money I would get one. 

I have the money and i like to game so thats a yes.

Gratz on the monitor!  :D

I will buy the RoG in 2 days, i cant wait. and why would it be a waste? you got the best monitor around man!

thats why im in doubt it prolly is the best monitor for gaming but it is alot of money

It depends what you mean by "worth it." It's certainly a good monitor and I don't think you'll regret owning one. Is it worth the cost of multiple 4K monitors? Not really.

i will prolly never own a 4k monitor as i have no use or graphics power to run it.

If you do any kind of video work, stick with the IPS monitor, but if you don't the Swift is a really good monitor :)

Im planning on doin some thats why my IPS monitor will be on my left side as a secondary.

G-sync is deprecated at this point, I wouldn't buy into it. Nvidia will (hopefully) be forced into a position where they need to make their own implementation of adaptive-sync, so we could have a monitor that works properly with all GPUs. Also, you wouldn't have to pay the 200+ bucks premium.

I agree with you on this one i do however allways use Nvidia (nvidia fan boy i guess) but still think its a cheap trick by nvidia.

spec wise that monitor is the best there is atm but i have read about a lot of problems about it too (you can go to the monitors thread in the rog forum and see for yourself).

The reason why i am not really sold on it is because of the fact that g-sync only works with nvidia cards and i don't really like being stuck with one company.

Hmm i will look in to this thanks for bringing it to my attention.

With just a single 780?

No.

You need two enthusiast Nvidia cards to make a RoG Swift worthwhile.

Because its 1440p 144Hz Gsync.

i know that my 1 single graphics card is prolly not enough but as said i am planning on upgrading down the line for maybe a single or 2 gtx980ti or better later this year.

i will prolly never own a 4k monitor as i have no use or graphics power to run it.

Wasn't that long ago people said that about 1440p. And 1080p before then. That wasn't even the point. The point was the ridiculous price of this monitor. Its successor is 4K, and that will make more sense.

If I bought a high refresh-rate, high resolution monitor with G-Sync, I would consider it an investment. Remember, G-sync affords you a much smoother experience at 40fps, as well as capacity for 144fps so I wouldn't consider it wasted on a single 780 (or even lower).

I would also, however, remind you that you are an early adopter at the start of a format war. You know how that tends to go.

that is exactly why im in doubt this is the first monitor with theese kinds of specs.

i was hoping for some better or maybee a bigger price drop on it.

i do however want to read more about this Freesync to see if this is worth more than Gsync

Wasn't that long ago people said that about 1440p. And 1080p before then. That wasn't even the point. The point was the ridiculous price of this monitor. Its successor is 4K, and that will make more sense.

well my current IPS is 1440P and im quite happy with this Resolution. Are you refering to the Asus 4k Gsync IPS comming later this year ?

well my current IPS is 1440P and im quite happy with this Resolution. Are you refering to the Asus 4k Gsync IPS comming later this year ?

The new model will be, yeah. I'm not saying you should get it, I'm just saying that other monitor prices have fallen dramatically since this was released and its normal sale price looks a bit ridiculous by comparison now.

Im still even more confused i would love 2 have 2 27 inch monitors but yeah hmm dammit i dunno :(

The new 4k monitors (even the new RoG Swift which was at CES) top out at a 60 refresh rate. I picked up an RoG Swift last week and do not regret it. I might pick up a 4k monitor later this year and use my current Swift for my FPS games and the 4k monitor for other games but I'll cross that bridge later.

There are some cheaper, high refresh, 1440p displays with IPS panels dropping in the next 2 or 3 months that would have been appealing if the Swift's price did not come down in the past 2 weeks. Once the price dipped to close to what the new asus and acers were projected at it really became a moot point for me.   

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

I love mine also with a GTX 780 you should be good. G-sync was built to handle lower FPS To smooth out the experience. Then when you upgrade with another 780 or a newer card it can handle high FPS as well. Soooo get it you will be happy!