Pelican Pc

Remsster

I want to build a micro ATX build in Pelican 1510 (maybe the weather defender pelican case that is FAA certified and about the same size) and I was wanting to make sure it will fit and work properly. I am looking for help how to mount things and all of you suggestions to make this a good portable PC. I could go with a smaller case but really want Micro ATX and still be able to fly with it. REALLY NEED SUGGESTIONS WITH MOUNTING EVERYTHING! 

I am not necessarily looking at motherboards/GPUs because this build wont be built for a little while. But want other suggested parts to make things fit well.

What I am thinking on using so far besides case(above) 

Power switch

Motherboard Tray Would prefer something metal mounting and something with PCI supports.

CPU cooler, let me know if something is better/ what fans to replace them with.

Also looking for a screen that could work well in the lid.

Any help is appreciated. 

Here are two other half-builds: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/154574-building-a-football-computer/   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/70531-the-football-lan-pc/

Pelican cases are made of Polypropylene, the hardest to glue material known to man. I'm not joking, it is nearly impossible to glue to, luckily Pelican has an article about how exactly they recommend to do it and what glue to use. I've never tried so I don't know the end results, and how strong it will actually be. http://www.pelican.com/info/bulletins/tech_bulletin_adhesives.pdf

The recommended epoxies are expensive, and require a $25+ gun to dispense... but you are wasting money and time trying anything else. The 5 minute epoxy tubes, plastic welder, etc. that look like the one below will NOT work. My fourwheeler fenders are polypropylene and I tried dozens of epoxies to try and secure some pieces back together, nothing from Home Depot works.

22045WSBC.png

Your Pelican case and Motherboard tray links are broken.

For the display you can use a laptop panel along with an LVDS converter, will keep it nice and thin and allow you to build it into the case any way that you want.

I would recommend using a PCIe extension to attach your GPU, so you wouldn't have to worry about the weight of it damaging the PCIe slot.

Hopefully someone else will come chime in on this as I'm not very knowledgeable with water cooling components, but I don't think an AIO cooler in something that is going to be bumped around a lot is a good idea.

What is a rough idea of the components you are going to put in it? Are we talking high end i7-5960X, or low power i3-4330T? SLI or onboard graphics? 

It would be a good idea to use SSD's for all of your storage.

There is a Pelican case clone company that I always forget the name to... I'll see if I can find it and post up later. (EDIT: It is Nanuk) Anyways, they all have an edge around them that is intended for securing a plate to, and is what our old Passive inter-modulation analyzers came built into.

2011-08-04_16-00-29_68.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info I am going to do some more research to see how I want to do this all exactly. This build is still a ways out before I will start looking for exact components but it will be a decent high end.