Building a "Football" Computer

Toasted Waffles

I'm looking into building a computer into a Pelican Carrying case. I have a full build planned into one, however I was wondering. Can I place a video card on a sheet of aluminum to keep it level / in place or should I find a way to separate it with rubber or another source.

Build Specs -

750 Watt Psu
780ti Reference
h110
16gb (2 x 8gb)
Asus Gryphon /w Thermal Armor
1-2 500Gb SSD's 
Asus 21.5 " FHD

This is the Case

opplanet-pelican-1600-case-foam-silver-1

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

lol i was gonna do this with a aluminum breifcase xD. So what are u doing for cooling? are u gonna cut holes in the side of the pc or just open the lid of the case when u wanna use it?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

You can use a PCIe riser and you can secure it at a different angle if need be. That is what I'd do but what are you doing for airflow?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

lol i was gonna do this with a aluminum breifcase xD. So what are u doing for cooling? are u gonna cut holes in the side of the pc or just open the lid of the case when u wanna use it?

Gotta open the case to use the computer, the monitor will be mounted in the lid.

Spoiler

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

Gotta open the case to use the computer, the monitor will be mounted in the lid.

cool beans! what moniter were u gonna use? cause im still wanting to do my similar thing. i looked at this one, but its like $250 :/

http://www.ncix.com/detail/gechic-on-lap-1302-13-3in-tft-cb-92514-1078.htm

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

I'd use a PCIe riser and then get a backplate for the GPU to attach a mount to.

As for a monitor, you may want to look into a laptop screen and LVDS converter to save space.

And have you already bought the case? Most (if not all) Pelican's do not have a lip where it would be nice to set an aluminum plate to cover your components and mount fans to. This picture is of a 1600, which is what your picture looks to be, and I checked a few others I have on hand and none of those have the lip either. The Storm series might be different, but I don't have any here right now to check... but I believe the only difference for them is the latch.

IMG_20140519_133141366.jpg

Someone else on this forum did a "football" computer in the case like below, I cannot find the link or remember the name brand of the case tho... Some of our test gear uses these cases because they work great for mounting the components into.

EDIT: Found the link... but he hasn't finished it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/70531-the-football-lan-pc/

It looks like that case actually has screw holes molded into it already: http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-H1A-j74uR1E/UXy6QrWaucI/AAAAAAAABuw/kMmiL6cIFIQ/w1037-h778/IMG_20130427_231332.jpg

IMG_20140519_132938642.jpg

IMG_20140519_132922206.jpg

I have a plan on the build, I like pelican cases so it is more practical for me :D. The Pcie riser I will be using is just a cable, allowing me to fit the 780 into it's special spot in the case :D Airflow :D

Spoiler

I'd use a PCIe riser and then get a backplate for the GPU to attach a mount to.

As for a monitor, you may want to look into a laptop screen and LVDS converter to save space.

And have you already bought the case? Most (if not all) Pelican's do not have a lip where it would be nice to set an aluminum plate to cover your components and mount fans to. This picture is of a 1600, which is what your picture looks to be, and I checked a few others I have on hand and none of those have the lip either. The Storm series might be different, but I don't have any here right now to check... but I believe the only difference for them is the latch.

Someone else on this forum did a "football" computer in the case like below, I cannot find the link or remember the name brand of the case tho... Some of our test gear uses these cases because they work great for mounting the components into.

EDIT: Found the link... but he hasn't finished it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/70531-the-football-lan-pc/

It looks like that case actually has screw holes molded into it already: http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-H1A-j74uR1E/UXy6QrWaucI/AAAAAAAABuw/kMmiL6cIFIQ/w1037-h778/IMG_20130427_231332.jpg

I have a new idea, how to install the components, Allowing me to remove and install the main components, and replace them at any time with ease. :D time to get welding and cutting :D The lip doesn't matter to me, how the case will fit - will allow a complete flush between computer and monitor inside the case.

Spoiler

I have a new idea, how to install the components, Allowing me to remove and install the main components, and replace them at any time with ease. :D time to get welding and cutting :D The lip doesn't matter to me, how the case will fit - will allow a complete flush between computer and monitor inside the case.

I'd personally go with a Pelican case as well for the build quality of them, just wanted to throw the other one out there.

Be sure to really scuff up the Pelican case if you plan on epoxying mounts to it, otherwise it will pull right off.

I'd personally go with a Pelican case as well for the build quality of them, just wanted to throw the other one out there.

Be sure to really scuff up the Pelican case if you plan on epoxying mounts to it, otherwise it will pull right off.

The only thing I have to worry about would be the monitor mount, however I am screwing it into the case and using Silicon epoxy to make the holes watertight. The computer inside will be self contained, and sit on the foam inside to help absorb some impact encase of a drop. The computer will have a aluminum frame that will be dropped into the foam sides, with handles of course - this allows me to remove the computer and modify it outside the case when need be. I'm starting to build 3D models of the design and maybe will publish them soon :D. It'll be a tight fit, however it'll be awesome :D

Spoiler