Blue Yeti or Antlion ModMic 4.0?

malicalik13

Hello guys! I want to start a youtube channel so I need a microphone. My main point about these microphones is how they can block the background sound. I'm planning to get a keyboard with blue switches and my house is pretty loud too. Blue Yeti has a headphone jack and it can be usefull because I can hear myself and adjust my sound level. On the other hand Modmic is more portable,cheaper but harder to find. Any thoughts?

SNIP

if you are NOT in a quiet room, do not get the yeti, its VERY sensitive, and will pick up people breaking from about 47 miles away

get a modmic OR get a dynamic mic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Don't buy a Mod Mic, don't get a USB mic if you have Windows 8 or higher (google "windows 8 usb mic" and you will quickly find out why)

Don't buy a Mod Mic, don't get a USB mic if you have Windows 8 or higher (google "windows 8 usb mic" and you will quickly find out why)

What else is he supposed to use? lol.

Windows 8 has a lot of problems with USB 3.0. Using USB 2.0 solves most problems.

Im using an AT2020 usb on win8.1 and never had an issue.

To OP, get the At2020 and pop filter and put it close to mouth, it sounds super good for yt and stuff, ive uploaded a few on my channel, sounds super nice

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Im using an AT2020 usb on win8.1 and never had an issue.

To OP, get the At2020 and pop filter and put it close to mouth, it sounds super good for yt and stuff, ive uploaded a few on my channel, sounds super nice

I have an AT2020 XLR.  You may not have issues with your AT2020 because you have it right at your mouth, thus reducing the need to turn up your gain as much  

The problem with Windows 8 is the gain for USB mics is WAAAY lower than Windows 7, Microsoft crapped the bed on the drivers.  People have to turn the gain up to the point where you introduce a ton of noise, or they straight up can't even install their mics in some cases

I have an AT2020 XLR.  You may not have issues with your AT2020 because you have it right at your mouth, thus reducing the need to turn up your gain as much  

The problem with Windows 8 is the gain for USB mics is WAAAY lower than Windows 7, Microsoft crapped the bed on the drivers.  People have to turn the gain up to the point where you introduce a ton of noise, or they straight up can't even install their mics in some cases

oh no usually im too bored to move it and have it 50cm from my face with gain set to max, from feedback ive received it sounds good, maybe thats just me, i dno 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

if you are NOT in a quiet room, do not get the yeti, its VERY sensitive, and will pick up people breaking from about 47 miles away

get a modmic OR get a dynamic mic

I wouldn't get a yeti, it will pick up everything. You need the mod-mic or grab a boom mic + AT2020 or something similar and put it close to your mouth.

I watched some review videos about Yeti and the overall quality was decent. It didn't catch any background noise,I only heard the reviewer's sound. (Of course in mic test  :)  not all of the video) AT2020 is a solid mic for sure but I didn't see a stand or something in the box. Also is there a headphone jack like the Yeti? I think that is a important feature 

Then what am I supposed to do? Should I try to record with awful G230 mic?  :P

I can tell you that the ModMic 4.0 shouldn't be used to make recordings. I bought one and it didn't sound very good when recording. Ended up sending it back because it didn't sound much better than the mic on my Turtle Beach x12s. Buy an AT2020, a Blue Icicle XLR to USB converter, and then a mic stand. That would seem to be the best solution if you don't wanna buy something expensive that will input XLR

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I wouldn't get a yeti, it will pick up everything. You need the mod-mic or grab a boom mic + AT2020 or something similar and put it close to your mouth.

Yep that is my experiance

the yeti sounds great, but outside of a completely silent studio its insane for background noise  (could be a pro for certain people depending on what they are recording)

A mod mic is a good alternative

Also check out some of the dynamic mics like the rode podcaster/procaster - much less sensitive and great for voice pickup

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I use a modmic 4.0 with my MX Blues and my friends always complain about me typing and my shop heater when it is running... so I don't think that is a good option.

I think you are going to need to get a new keyboard with any mic, I don't think there is a way to drown out MX Blues, give Browns a try.

Whats your budget look like? For the price of the Yeti you could get a snowball with windscreen and a descent stand and a mic preamp. Or skip the preamp to save money. How much do you want to dump into this just to start a youtube channel? The snowball will sound just fine and no one will dislike your videos because of the sound quality of the snowball. Start small and move up if your channel grows or if you have the cash to burn.

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

That won't be a problem because as he said there is background noise. You wouldn't be turning up the gain. 

How much typing do you need to do while recording youtube videos?

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

How much typing do you need to do while recording youtube videos?

Most people play games, which entails pressing at least a few keys, while recording.

I love my ModMic, it sounds really good and no white noise with my mobo. I also have the AT2020(with pop filter) but I have to turn my room fan off cause it picks everything, but the quality is phenomenal.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

well the blue yeti is 2 times more expensive approx, plus if you don't want it to pick up everythign you'll need a shock mount swivel thingy(the name escapes me). thats an extra ~30$.

Linus made a video about modmic4 go check that out, the quality is worse compared to condenser mics and since its jack-based you'll probably have some noise on it(depends on the mobo, mine had a lot of noise using a jack mic).

Bottomline, as far is i know most youtubers just recommend going with what you have for the moment, its "wasted" money if you abandon this project. My friend who does youtube started out with a zalman clipon mic(10$) and it sounded very okay for what it is. he has around 2k subscribers now, and i wasnt able to tell when he switched to his blue snowball...

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

audio tech nice atr2100 good for the price

at 2020 is good

dynamic mics really help so much

provided you speak clearly ofc

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

Bottomline, as far is i know most youtubers just recommend going with what you have for the moment, its "wasted" money if you abandon this project. My friend who does youtube started out with a zalman clipon mic(10$) and it sounded very okay for what it is. he has around 2k subscribers now, and i wasnt able to tell when he switched to his blue snowball...

+1

This is the reason I recommended the Snowball over the Yeti in my other post. Kinda blows my mind that so many people are recommending $100+ mics when max $50 is all thats needed and even then, its still overkill for starting out a youtube channel.

EDIT: Wanted to expand on my thought a little. The best thing anyone can do to improve the sound input is to treat the room. This is the same as getting better sound out of speakers. Treat the room to remove echoes and to remove as much background noise as you can and you'll sound much better in the recording. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3