27" 1080P 144Hz VS 27" 1440P 60Hz

I am having some trouble choosing between 1440p or 1080p. Should I go 27" 1080p 144Hz on max settings or should I go for 27" 1440p 60Hz on medium to high settings?

I have a Msi r9 290X lightning graphics card and an I5 4460.

Id go 1440p also probs would be able to play on high with that card. What games do you play?

1080p at 27 inches is disgustingly lower pixel density, go 1440p 60hz. Also, you don't need 144hz unless you're playing twitch first person shooters (i.e. CS or Quake not BF or CoD) competitively

1440p; 1080p 27" is horrific imo.  

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Id go 1440p also probs would be able to play on high with that card. What games do you play?

I play mostly Battlefield 4, Assassins creed black flag and planning to play Battlefield Hardline.

Is it worth to play lower setting on 1440p 27"? or should i just get smaller screen size.

Im in a somewhat similar situation. I had bought a reference gtx 970. Right after I bought it the whole VRAM issue came to light, and I wasn't all that impressed with the reference 970s performance anyway so I decided to trade it in for a gtx 980 since It was still within the date for an exchange, and I had a coupon I could use to save a lot of money if I bought a 980. Now I have an EVGA SC 980 that is major overkill for a 1080p 60 hz monitor, so im tempted to upgrade to take advantage of it.

Im wondering if 1440p is worth the upgrade or should I just enjoy the fact my GPU will be able to handle upcoming games at 1080p ultra for quite some time. If I go 1440p there is the possibility I will have to dial down some settings invcurrent and future games, which wont be an issue at 1080p. Is 1440p substantially better looking that it would be worth it?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

wait a month or two and there will be lots of IPS freesync options for you

I am waiting for freesync too ^^.
And is anyone using seasonic m12ii evo 750W power supply? because i am having coil whine with it T^T

I am having some trouble choosing between 1440p or 1080p. Should I go 27" 1080p 144Hz on max settings or should I go for 27" 1440p 60Hz on medium to high settings?

I have a Msi r9 290X lightning graphics card and an I5 4460.

Before I got a 970, I used to run a 1440p monitor with a 280x. It was great. I recommend getting the the 1440p. It makes everything better, not just gaming. depending on the work you are doing, it has enough real estate to easily snap two documents side by side.

Before I got a 970, I used to run a 1440p monitor with a 280x. It was great. I recommend getting the the 1440p. It makes everything better, not just gaming. depending on the work you are doing, it has enough real estate to easily snap two documents side by side.

How well does your 970 run at 1440p?