Gaming now and then

Tr33

Hey guys I just wnated to see what  your opinion is about gaming now and then(then being at least 10 years ago). I grew up on PS1 and on amazing games like the very well known "Crash Bandicoot" frnachise by Naughty Dog(which are also famous for the Uncharted franchise which is also amazing) and games like "Spyro" and all these other great single player games.

Anyway my point is...

I take gaming back then that it was about just having fun with the story and gameplay. Whereas today gaming imo is about people wanting to compete in multiplayer and not caring about story that much(IM NOT SAYING EVERYONE but sadly the majority is poisoned by these generic online FPS games which im not even gona list.) There is one dominant genre(fps)and there is just WAY too much of that. Everyone wants awesome looking graphics.

I'm just gona sum up my opinion:

Gaming back then:

-story

-gameplay

-characters

Gaming now:

-multiplayer being the main focus, campaigns are just sh*t

-graphics

-one dominant genre

But also I am glad there are still awesome developers who make singleplayer only games(i especially love those with free roam) and focus on the story and characters. I just started replaying Infamous to do some trophies and just play around in the city.

Do u guys agree or do you take this as BS?

BLAOW!!!!

Then- exploit glitches , have fun

Now - patches for everything , can't have fun

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Then- friends could/would actually be impressed by your game skills

Now- Achievements to make anyone feel like they're good at the game.

Then - Cheat Codes

Now - Download hacks

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Oh also forgot to say that people want realism nowadays. WHY THE F WOULD U WANT REALISM IN VIDEOGAMES?

BLAOW!!!!

Oh also forgot to say that people want realism nowadays. WHY THE F WOULD U WANT REALISM IN VIDEOGAMES?

Cause you cant get it in real life! Like racing games, how many times would you get to sit in an F1 car? FPS games, how many times would you be able to kill someone?

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

Then: Play classics all day

Now: Rarely game.

This pretty much. :( Need to get a dedicated GPU before I can.

Then: Feel fulfilled in playing and beating a game.

Now: Feel frustrated and rushed in playing and never beating a game.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This pretty much. :( Need to get a dedicated GPU before I can.

Then: Feel fulfilled in playing and beating a game.

Now: Feel frustrated and rushed in playing and never beating a game.

It's partly about time I had then and not now, but it's also about quality of the games. I can't play a game for hours anymore, they're usually all focused on Multiplayer which  some people sit on for days and end up a lot better than others which makes it a lot less entertaining for people.

It's partly about time I had then and not now, but it's also about quality of the games. I can't play a game for hours anymore, they're usually all focused on Multiplayer which  some people sit on for days and end up a lot better than others which makes it a lot less entertaining for people.

I'm strictly talking about single player, but yeah, I know what you mean. :(

Crash Bandicoot was so fun. Syphon Filter was so fun. Final Fantasy Tactics was so fun. :((((

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm strictly talking about single player, but yeah, I know what you mean. :(

Crash Bandicoot was so fun. Syphon Filter was so fun. Final Fantasy Tactics was so fun. :((((

I used to spend hours on PS1 & 2 playing Spyro, Crash Bandicoot and Croc. 

Older games needed to have good gameplay or story to succeed, now it seems a lot of games with poor gameplay can get by because of graphics detail. Not to mention games of old needed to work on release day because internet access for most people was either none existent or at the very least slow. 

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600

Then - buy a well made game, with excellent storyline, that actually takes weeks or months to properly finish (and actually enjoy replaying the entire game)

Now - buy a half baked piece of crap, spend even more money to download DLCs, or get left behind then beat the game once in a matter of days, then store it away in some closet, unless it has online multiplayer

Whatever happened to the good RPGs, like Golden Sun, or even Jeanne D'arc?

Then: play a game over and over again to collect everything just because you wanted to.

Now: play a game over and over again to collect everything for a trophy/achievement.

Granted, gaming has changed a lot more than that, but that's a trend I noticed when the 360 came out.

Cause you cant get it in real life! Like racing games, how many times would you get to sit in an F1 car? FPS games, how many times would you be able to kill someone?

No. realism is shit in games. it fucks em up. more creative games where u have unrealistic things like super powers and other stuff like that are so much better and much more fun

BLAOW!!!!

Then - buy a well made game, with excellent storyline, that actually takes weeks or months to properly finish (and actually enjoy replaying the entire game)

Now - buy a half baked piece of crap, spend even more money to download DLCs, or get left behind then beat the game once in a matter of days, then store it away in some closet, unless it has online multiplayer

Whatever happened to the good RPGs, like Golden Sun, or even Jeanne D'arc?

This and only this

BLAOW!!!!

No. realism is shit in games. it fucks em up. more creative games where u have unrealistic things like super powers and other stuff like that are so much better and much more fun

Sorry, different genre for you then. I prefer mine this way though

Sorry, different genre for you then. I prefer mine this way though

U must be one of those that only care about multiplayer and gams like BF and COD?

BLAOW!!!!

U must be one of those that only care about multiplayer and gams like BF and COD?

Yep, and simulator games as well. Are you getting Saints Row 4 then? With all the flying and stuff

Yep, and simulator games as well. Are you getting Saints Row 4 then? With all the flying and stuff

Yea maybe. Not all my games have to be flying and stuff. I love free roam games though.

BLAOW!!!!

Yea maybe. Not all my games have to be flying and stuff. I love free roam games though.

Do you play GTA?

Do you play GTA?

used to but i fucked up my laptop something with the HDD and a "No operating system found" message so i dont anymore

BLAOW!!!!

Almost everything feels rehashed nowadays. There isn't much money in new IPs because it takes so much money to make games that its safer to make sequels to successful franchises. With doing so a lot of great franchises get dumbed down to accommodate the general public. For me its elder scrolls. I miss the morrowind days where your stats were the determining factor in your character. Although I still loved oblivion and skyrim I didn't seem to get as attached to my character and my armor as I used to. I do like the more simple leveling structure though hahaha I hated keeping a notebook of my level progression in the old days :P

And yes I did have morrowind on Xbox before I played it on PC hahaha