Geforce GTX 970 Conclusion.

ander12391

After a week of following the GTX 970 scandal. I decided to go ahead and keep my 970. I even got Newegg to make an exception return for me. But as I am writing this post I am going to cancel my RMA with them and keep the GTX 970. It sucks that Nvidia misinformed their partners in the industry on the real specs of the GPU. However after watching the latest PCPER Live show, they make a ton of valid points. The card is still a GREAT card for 329 dollars and this isn't the first time Nvidia has done something weird with memory, the only crime was just omitting the real specifications . Remember the 660ti? and its 192 bit memory interface. At the end of the day Nvidia is giving us a GTX 980 with a few SMs disabled, 8 fewer ROPS, 3.5GB+.5GB pool of VRAM and .3mb less L2 cache for 200 dollars less. I do think Nvidia should do something to regain customer loyalty besides assisting with returns, but I don't think they should send everyone with a GTX 970 a GTX 980. And in hindsight I think maybe I myself have gotten wrapped up in the Nvidia witch hunt that's currently taking place on the official Geforce forums. Personally I have not had a single issue with my card crashing when exceeding 3.5GB of the 970s VRAM. Yes my FPS tapers off a bit but that's also probably due to the fact that in order to even achieve that much VRAM usage I have to crank up AA and use DSR. So what do you guys think? Should myself and every GTX 970 owner still be ranting and raging about this? Because personally I'm still satisfied with my purchase and I'm thinking about picking up another for SLI... (A friend of mine wants to sell his to me for a very very cheap price)

My two cents: Rant/rage at Nvidia (on an ethical level) all you want, but the card still performs how it should, so bitching about the card is silly. 

/you're making the right choice imo, and you should buy your friend's 970  :P

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Cool, glad you are keeping your card. :D

It is a good GPU. I myself want a 970 real bad. :wub:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

My two cents: Rant/rage at Nvidia (on an ethical level) all you want, but the card still performs how it should, so bitching about the card is silly. 

/you're making the right choice imo, and you should buy your friend's 970  :P

Not really. nvidia did bold face lie and they got caught and it's as simple as that. Weather or not this is the truth will be found out in time.

Not really. nvidia did bold face lie and they got caught and it's as simple as that. Weather or not this is the truth will be found out in time.

Stop posting this video in every thread :/

Honestly i think its a great card to ive gotten to play with a pair for a few hours. Even with pushing them over the 3.5gb vram pool they didnt crash, stutter or any issues at all really. We ran them on my nvidia surround triple monitor setup so we knew we were really pushing the vram. Once we came to the decision that it was perfectly stable we decided to try our luck with some overclocking on the core and memory, Still ran solid. 

Honestly I think this whole thing has been blown wayyyyy out of proportion, To be fair though, Yes there are people out there having some issues and i think they need to rma their cards for a new one. It sounds to me like the earlier batches are the ones that are having the issues, My friend bought his cards two weeks ago that we tested without issues.

to add to this, My gtx 780's Just crapped the bed and im seriously thinking about buying a pair of gtx 970 strix editions (maybe 980's if its in the budget) and waterblocking them up regardless of the "problems" with the cards.

Stop posting this video in every thread :/

Stop shit posting your self. You are the one shitposting and you know it. What value are you trying to place to the topic at hand ?

Stop shit posting your self. You are the one shitposting and you know it. What value are you trying to place to the topic at hand ?

You are being childish posting that thing eveywhere.

Just saying..

I have seen that posted in this forum 5 times.

Im not stupid  , i get it if you use DSR it stutters.

No need to shove it up my eyeholes.

You are being childish posting that thing eveywhere.

Just saying..

Why are you continuing to harass me ? Please add some value to the topics.

@I/O

That same video has been post all over the Net.... I didn't really make this post to debate whether or not the GTX 970s memory config is causing issues. I just wanted to inform the community of what I have decided to do with my GTX 970 based on the experience I have had, and to gather opinions from other GTX 970 owners. 

@I/O

That same video has been post all over the Net.... I didn't really make this post to debate whether or not the GTX 970s memory config is causing issues. I just wanted to inform the community of what I have decided to do with my GTX 970 based on the experience I have had, and to gather opinions from other GTX 970 owners. 

That's a personal opinion. I personally would wait for a month or two and see how this debacle pans out. If it ends up looking bad I would sell your 970 but if it's not so bad then i would buy your friends 970 for SLI.

That's a personal opinion. I personally would wait for a month or two and see how this debacle pans out. If it ends up looking bad I would sell your 970 but if it's not so bad then i would buy your friends 970 for SLI.

I still have like 70 days left to do the STEP UP with EVGA. So hopefully by then Nvidia will have more to say. 

People have already been using 970s for MONTHS, theres no "see how it pans out"....it already has excellent performance, and it's the EXACT same performance as it has always been. 

Although, I'm sure I'm somehow harassing you right now, so you better report me again. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I still have like 70 days left to do the STEP UP with EVGA. So hopefully by then Nvidia will have more to say. 

They are working on a driver update .

In theory its possible to allocate the memory in a more efficient fashion.

Not sure if they can implement it however that easily so i wont hold out much hope.

People have already been using 970s for MONTHS, theres no "see how it pans out"....it already has excellent performance, and it's the EXACT same performance as it has always been. 

Although, I'm sure I'm somehow harassing you right now, so you better report me again. 

No your just pumping up nvidia now cause or personal brand biased issues. I would reserve yourself and find more info on the topic before going full radical.

Conclusion: just shut up and buy the card, if you can.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

No your just pumping up nvidia now cause or personal brand biased issues. I would reserve yourself and find more info on the topic before going full radical.

Am i biased about this?

Have you seen my threads?

You are just being annoying at this point. And this comes from a very unbiased person.

Stop shitposting the same video in every thread :/

All i want.

Im not stupid  , i get it if you use DSR it stutters.

No need to shove it up my eyeholes.

lol, I'm not biased either way. Hell, most of the builds that I recommend in the build planning section uses an AMD gpu. You're just incapable of accepting other people's opinions and would rather live in your own little AMD fanboy cocoon. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

lol, I'm not biased either way. Hell, most of the builds that I recommend in the build planning section uses an AMD gpu. You're just incapable of accepting other people's opinions and would rather live in your own little AMD fanboy cocoon. 

I don't know much but I do know to listen to people like PCper. I am really only loyal to what you get for your dollars spent ... that's why I went with Intel CPU this time because they were willing to offer me allot more performance all around for the money .

I don't know much but I do know to listen to people like PCper. I am really only loyal to what you get for your dollars spent ... that's why I went with Intel CPU this time because they were willing to offer me allot more performance all around for the money .

http://youtu.be/CIyjLSsGxZ0?t=22m00s

Watch until about 42~ minutes. 

22-38~ minutes: talking about whats different/what Nvidia did/what they said. 

39-42~ minutes: This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. 

43-45~ minutes: It's only a potential issue for the few people who want to run 4k setups, but most who want 4k went with a 980/s. 

Edit: I like the comment around the 41 minute mark...If you have a 7gb card (setup) -- two 970s...it doesn't work that way PCPer :unsure:

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

http://youtu.be/CIyjLSsGxZ0?t=22m00s

Watch until about 42~ minutes. 

22-38~ minutes: talking about whats different/what Nvidia did/what they said. 

39-42~ minutes: This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. 

Edit: I like the comment around the 41 minute mark...If you have a 7gb card (setup) -- two 970s...it doesn't work that way PCPer :unsure:

nvidia propaganda post !

nvidia propaganda post !

I don't know much but I do know to listen to people like PCper.

Yep, propaganda from a source you trust. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yep, propaganda from a source you trust. 

Who said that you ?