Geforce GTX 970 Conclusion.

ander12391

Who said that you ?

PCPer said that. Watch their video. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

PCPer said that. Watch their video. 

So I am a troll cause of PCper ? Troll detected !

So I am a troll cause of PCper ? Troll detected !

So you trust PCPer as a source.....except when they disagree with you. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Why does this @I/O guy lurk every 970 thread? 

Good choice on keeping the card, OP. It's still a great GPU, regardless of the VRAM issue. 

Why does this @I/O guy lurk every 970 thread? 

Good choice on keeping the card, OP. It's still a great GPU, regardless of the VRAM issue. 

Because he can't stay on any one thread to long as no one takes him seriously after a couple posts. So his best bet is to jump into a new thread with new people where maybe he can find someone stupid enough to not disprove him. But he eventually always gets himself backed into a corner he can't crawl out of and just jumps ship. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Not really. nvidia did bold face lie and they got caught and it's as simple as that. Weather or not this is the truth will be found out in time.

-snip-

That guy probably has some other issue because no one else has that issue...

At least read the about, even he says he cant confirm its related and is leaning towards it being unrelated:

"UPDATE: I have disabled comments on this video for the time being.

In the middle of more testing, and that testing so far has shown no direct causation between the freezing and glitches. So far I've noticed in quite a bit of testing that while they do happen frequently at the same time, they happen independently of each other as well. At this point, I cannot say with any confidence that the glitches recorded by shadowplay have anything to do with the supposed 3.5GB issue. When I'm done testing and have video to show, as well as the input from another party, I will post a link to that with a conclusion, if a conclusion can even be made.

Using Far Cry 4 to capture video to show the hitching that occurs above around 3.5GB VRAM usage, shadowplay captured these glitches, which appeared during play only as stuttering and short freezing. I'm not sure if this is pertinent to the current unrest over the possible misrepresentation of the GTX970's specifications, but here it is, in case it is.

EDIT: I want to clarify that I am NOT saying this is absolutely an indication of the 3.5GB issue (or non-issue) concerning the GTX970. It might be, it might not be. I just found it interesting that these glitches were captured at above the 3.5GB threshold that many people are reporting issues with and made it available for possible use to get to the bottom of the question."

My card has no issues, yes its crappy the specs weren't right but who buys based on specs, that stopped in the 90s during the AMD/Intel GHz race, its the performance that really matters.

That guy probably has some other issue because no one else has that issue...

No wall of text ... nvidia BSed and got caught and it's plain ans simple.

I would keep this ONLY if they issued an official letter of apology to their customers.

Until that, NO.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Even PCPer doesn't think they intentionally lied. 

"I don't think they hid this on purpose." http://youtu.be/CIyjLSsGxZ0?t=50m52s

And again, this is coming from the source YOU trust. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hahaha *SMH* no wonder you are so un-informed if you are unwilling to read... or is it incapable... that wall of text came from your "proof" of an issue saying its probably not related...

Hahaha *SMH* no wonder you are so un-informed if you are unwilling to read... or is it incapable... that wall of text came from your "proof" of an issue saying its probably not related...

Fan boy detected !

Fan boy detected !

... go to school -> learn to read -> educate yourself on the topic -> comment if you still feel so inclined.

P.S. I have more AMD cards then Nvidia cards at the moment *sigh*

The 970 is a decent buy for the price, nothing spectacular either before or after this VRAM shit. There are other cards that offer an equal or better price to performance value, namely the r9 290 and 290x. I wouldn't necessarily discourage someone from getting a 970, but I wouldn't do it if you plan on using it for SLI because you don't know what upcoming games are going to require with their VRAM, and two 970s are NOT cheap, were talking almost 800 after taxes in the US, and they are more expensive elsewhere.

If someone HAS to game at higher resolutions the better option would be to wait til the r9 390X(or 380x) comes out, as it might be capable of more than handling 1440p with one card thanks to the new memory design they are rumored to have, and in crossfire the cards would probably be able to do 4k at ultra settings with 60FPS or better, the first card that can manage that.

There is also the 295x2, which is close to, if not equal to dual 980s for just over the half the price of dual 980s.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Fan boy detected !

So is PCPer a fanboy/s of Nvidia too? 

If so, I'm curious....who can I trust for my tech news then? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

So is PCPer a fanboy/s of Nvidia too? 

If so, I'm curious....who can I trust for my tech news then? 

Ryan Shrout leans very heavily toward Nvidia in his rhetoric (every time he interviews someone from AMD he looks like he just shat in his pants, but when Ryan interviews Tom Petersen his eyes glaze over), but the rest of them at PCPer are fairly neutral. 

Overall PCPer are so damn thorough with most tech reviews that only Tiny Tom Logan beats them for covering every base. They're trustworthy for the most part, but every human has their bias.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

http://youtu.be/CIyjLSsGxZ0?t=22m00s

Watch until about 42~ minutes. 

22-38~ minutes: talking about whats different/what Nvidia did/what they said. 

39-42~ minutes: This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. 

43-45~ minutes: It's only a potential issue for the few people who want to run 4k setups, but most who want 4k went with a 980/s. 

Edit: I like the comment around the 41 minute mark...If you have a 7gb card (setup) -- two 970s...it doesn't work that way PCPer :unsure:

I am sure he mispoke. PCPER has discussed SLI/Crossfire issues in the past and have explained how it works perfectly fine. I love the LTT community and have been watching Linus's videos since 2007/2008 ish. But when it comes to the nuts and bolts of PC Hardware, PCPER has always been a leader in the community. Even Linus himself has praised and recommended them on the WAN show. Linus even was a guest on one of the PCPER lives shows a while back. And lets not forget PCPERs push for measuring Frame Rating which honestly I think is what put the heat on AMD and motivated them to fix their performance in crossfire configs.

Ryan Shrout leans very heavily toward Nvidia in his rhetoric (every time he interviews someone from AMD he looks like he just shat in his pants, but when Ryan interviews Tom Petersen his eyes glaze over), but the rest of them at PCPer are fairly neutral. 

Overall PCPer are so damn thorough with most tech reviews that only TTL beats them for covering every base. They're trustworthy for the most part, but every human has their bias.

Just found this funny... I do feel like he has a good relationship with Nvidia. But this past year Ryan did have a really good interview with Richard Huddy.. AMD's Gaming Scientist. Worth a watch.

Overall PCPer are so damn thorough with most tech reviews that only Tiny Tom Logan beats them for covering every base. They're trustworthy for the most part, but every human has their bias.

I was pointing out I/O's hypocrisy starting from here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/300779-geforce-gtx-970-conclusion/?p=4087031

I am sure he mispoke. PCPER has discussed SLI/Crossfire issues in the past and have explained how it works perfectly fine. I love the LTT community and have been watching Linus's videos since 2007/2008 ish. But when it comes to the nuts and bolts of PC Hardware, PCPER has always been a leader in the community. Even Linus himself has praised and recommended them on the WAN show. Linus even was a guest on one of the PCPER lives shows a while back. And lets not forget PCPERs push for measuring Frame Rating which honestly I think is what put the heat on AMD and motivated them to fix their performance in crossfire configs.

I know :P

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just found this funny... I do feel like he has a good relationship with Nvidia. But this past year Ryan did have a really good interview with Richard Huddy.. AMD's Gaming Scientist. Worth a watch.

I saw it. Ryan looked really uncomfortable at times. hence my previous comment.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Nice choice

The VRAM issue doesn't apply only to 4K, if you like modded games like Skyrim and that stuff you can fill up VRAM pretty fast.

Things are confusing now, a mod in Geforcr forums said that "we're going to improve the 970 performance with a driver update", and this came out today in KitGuru (http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidia-we-will-not-boost-geforce-gtx-970-performance-with-drivers/?fb_ref=Default&fb_source=message)

If you need the complete 4GB of VRAM see if you can get a 290, because Nvidia can't really fix the 970, they would have to re-design the chip to remove the "slow" 0.5GB.

I have a 970, and yesterday I tested BF4 with DSR at weird resolutions, filled like 3.6-3.7GB and I got no stutters (but low FPS, that's normal, I was using 200% resolution scale + DSR)

I really don't know what to think now, but something is true: The 970 is great when it works.

Nice choice

The VRAM issue doesn't apply only to 4K, if you like modded games like Skyrim and that stuff you can fill up VRAM pretty fast.

Things are confusing now, a mod in Geforcr forums said that "we're going to improve the 970 performance with a driver update", and this came out today in KitGuru (http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidia-we-will-not-boost-geforce-gtx-970-performance-with-drivers/?fb_ref=Default&fb_source=message)

If you need the complete 4GB of VRAM see if you can get a 290, because Nvidia can't really fix the 970, they would have to re-design the chip to remove the "slow" 0.5GB.

that^^, and there's some people keep forgetting that only one segment can be accessed during a read/write cycle.

It's like talking to goldfish i tell ya  :lol:

that^^, and there's some people keep forgetting that only one segment can be accessed during a read/write cycle.

It's like talking to goldfish i tell ya :lol:

Yup, it can be a pretty serious issue for some people, since Nvidia never said a word about this until people found out the weird stuttering and low performance when going above 3.5GB.

First they said "yup, this is an issue, send us logs and proofs, we're working on it to fix it"

Then they said "is working as intended, 3.5GB + 0.5GB"

After that the ROPS/cache thing came up. Geforce forums were flooded by angry dudes.

A Nvidia worker (senior-idon'tknowwhy) said that he understands people getting mad, that it's ok and that they're working on a driver to fix this and kinda improve performance.

Now, Nvidia says that they're not going to improve the performance with the driver.

Also one mod said that they're looking to fill up that 0.5GB with driver stuff since that segment isn't that useful for games.

So basically only 3.5GB is useful for gaming, the other 0.5GB is the "dud" that thinks he's special and that he can do something useful, but nope.

Some people get mad because Nvidia lied to them, and that's true, they lied more than once. I understand them.

Some people say that they're overeacting, but maybe that dudes were students for example that tried to save money for a lot of time just to get the card, they get it and now they get kinda "scammed". That sucks :S