5040x1050 Graphic Card Suggestion

monden27
Go to solution Solved by monden27,

My guess would be no but like I said, no personal experience in this regard.

Also the Vapor-X is cooler, it's not just a colour change. The downside to the Vapor-X is the lighting on the word "Sapphire" changes to red if it gets too hot... luckily the cooler is a BEAST and it takes a lot to get it that hot.

Cool, thnx for the info. I'll ponder a bit on the 4gb vs 8gb issue, and decide on that. If I chose 8gb, the choice is simple: CF Vapor-X 8gb :P 4gb, then I think ill rather go for CF Lightning (because its cheaper and slightly better than the Vapor-X, according to our God Linus) and paint is blue, or if the VRAM fix works out well, maybe have a look at SLI GTX 970 G1's ;)

Hi Guys,

I need some advice, because me brain is starting to hurt. I am currently building the following computer:

Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed - Gun Metal

CPU: Intel i5 4690k

MoBo: ASRock Z97 Extreme 4

RAM: Kingston 16gb dual channel HyperX Fury Blue 1866mhz

Cooler: Corsair H100i

PSU: Cooler Master V1000

SSD: Crucial M500 240gb

HDD: WD Black 2tb

Accesoires: Various Sleeved blue cables and LED's

Display: 2x HP LA2205wg + 1 HP L2245wg (1680x1050 each)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/68T6Lk

As you can see, there is one part missing: The GPU, as is the case with many many builds.

A few thinks about me:

1. I am an AMD boy (please don't hate :P), meaning that I will prefer AMD over NVIDIA when given the choice. However, if AMD is not the best choice, I am flexible (thus my choice for a 4690k over a FX-8350)

2. My budget for a videocard is up to €600 per purchase, meaning a CF or SLI config will be split into 2 separate purchases.

3. I'm a texture freak, meaning that I want to play games like Star Citizen or Project Cars maxed on my 5040x1050 resolution @ 60fps, if possible with 2xAA or 4xAA

4. The GPU has to colour match my system build, being bright blue/black

5. I do not care about temps or electricity usage, purely raw performance for my build

6. I do want to overclock my system, which entails maybe watercooling the GPU(s) at a later stage

There are currently a couple of options for GPU going through my head right now.

1. Sapphire R9 290x Vapor-X 8gb (€475 in NL), with option for CF later on, because of VRAM

2. MSI R9 290x Lightning 4gb (€390 in NL, custom paint the shroud blue to match the build), with option for CF later on, because of good reviews

3. Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 4gb (€600 in NL), because generally considered the best card available currently

4. Wait for R9 300x series (€600-€700?), because rumoured to annihilate GTX 980 thanks to HBM

Why CF 290x's and no SLI GTX 980? Because for the same price as two 980's, I can get 3 Lightnings or Vapor-X's. Even with scaling, I think tri-CF 290x should perform better than SLI GTX 980 (correct me if I am wrong though)

Why CF 290x's and no CF R9 300x? Because I genuinely believe this single GPU can and will outperfom a CF 290x config

On a side note, can a 1000w PSU handle the CF 290x's above?

Please let me know what your thoughts are, and of course, why you think that. If you have any other, better suggestions, I am all ears.  :ph34r:

two 290s at least. Two 980 would be your best scenario though.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

You'll be wanting either CF 290Xs, or wait for the 300 series. 

You're going to need to 2 GPUs to get good FPS with decent settings. 

I would recommend a 8GB 290X or maybe even two GTX 970s. Maybe you can get two for a cheap price, but they've still that 3.5gb VRAM "problem".

I would recommend a 8GB 290X or maybe even two GTX 970s. Maybe you can get two for a cheap price, but they've still that 3.5gb VRAM "problem".

Yeah, I know, that's why I am staying far away from the GTX 970's :P

You'll be wanting either CF 290Xs, or wait for the 300 series. 

You're going to need to 2 GPUs to get good FPS with decent settings. 

Thnx for the tips. And which of the 2 configs strikes you better? Dual Lightnings 4gb or Dual Vapor-X's 8gb?

Yeah, I know, that's why I am staying far away from the GTX 970's :P

I think it isn't much of a problem anyway. First everyone is happy that their 970s perform almost as good as the 980 and then suddenly it's shit, just because the vram has like 5% less performance than the 980s vram?... I mean, what are they expecting for that price?...

Anyway, I still think that the 970 is a very good card and you should consider it.  :)

two 290s at least. Two 980 would be your best scenario though.

Agreed, but as I mentioned, for the price of 2 GTX 980's I can get 3 Lightning's or Vapor-X's, which I think would perform even better despite the 3rd card scaling ;-)

Which of the 2 290x's configs would you pick? Dual Lightning or Dual Vapor-X?

What the fuck type res is that?

NVM- Didnt see the displays

1680 x 1050 triple monitor. It was a pretty common resolution.

Agreed, but as I mentioned, for the price of 2 GTX 980's I can get 3 Lightning's or Vapor-X's, which I think would perform even better despite the 3rd card scaling ;-)

Which of the 2 290x's configs would you pick? Dual Lightning or Dual Vapor-X?

That's a tough call, both would be awesome. But the whole 970 vram issue really really isn't an actual issue. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

But the whole 970 vram issue really really isn't an actual issue. 

I think it isn't much of a problem anyway. First everyone is happy that their 970s perform almost as good as the 980 and then suddenly it's shit, just because the vram has like 5% less performance than the 980s vram?... I mean, what are they expecting for that price?...

Anyway, I still think that the 970 is a very good card and you should consider it.  :)

That's a tough call, both would be awesome. But the whole 970 vram issue really really isn't an actual issue. 

Cool, I checked out the GTX 970 G1 real quick, they are doing the same price in NL as the Lightning (€375). So I guess given your choice, you'll opt for dual G1's over dual Lightning's right? ;)

The card is fine in my opinion if you're only doing 1080p resolution gaming.

I would say it has more than only 5% less performance though. Framerates drop dramatically when you go across that 3.5GB threshold it appears.

That being said OP, if you like AMD more then you can't really go wrong with either waiting for the 3xx series to roll out, or go with some R9 290Xs, in my opinion.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Lol, nice find. Would a 5040x1050 maxed Star citizen would hit that cap easily on a dual GTX 970 G1 config you think?

Lol, nice find. Would a 5040x1050 maxed Star citizen would hit that cap easily on a dual GTX 970 G1 config you think?

Ya.

I know it's in your nature you feed and spew whatever you find on the internet but I am going to have to ask you to not today. That game does not even use 3gb of vram let alone 3.7. That video is bullshit. The best part is how he manages to add half a gig more to vram use while staying in the same spot. Quite funny. If that guy is genuinely having that issue it's because he has a bad card. Not because there is something wrong with that last .5gig. Nobody had a single issue like that or fps drops past 3.5gb until it became big news. The cards have been out there for months now and tons of people have them.

either wait for the new amd cards or buy 2x r9 290 now. i think dual 290(non X) fits your budget. i recommend sapphire tri-x

I know it's in your nature you feed and spew stupidity but I am going to have to ask you to not today.

Stop being an ass clown mate. The 970 is broken and this is a fact. please stop trolling and bothering me cause I am not recommending you broken card.

Hi Guys,

I need some advice, because me brain is starting to hurt. I am currently building the following computer:

Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed - Gun Metal

CPU: Intel i5 4690k

MoBo: ASRock Z97 Extreme 4

RAM: Kingston 16gb dual channel HyperX Fury Blue 1866mhz

Cooler: Corsair H100i

PSU: Cooler Master V1000

SSD: Crucial M500 240gb

HDD: WD Black 2tb

Accesoires: Various Sleeved blue cables and LED's

Display: 2x HP LA2205wg + 1 HP L2245wg (1680x1050 each)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/68T6Lk

As you can see, there is one part missing: The GPU, as is the case with many many builds.

A few thinks about me:

1. I am an AMD boy (please don't hate :P), meaning that I will prefer AMD over NVIDIA when given the choice. However, if AMD is not the best choice, I am flexible (thus my choice for a 4690k over a FX-8350)

2. My budget for a videocard is up to €600 per purchase, meaning a CF or SLI config will be split into 2 separate purchases.

3. I'm a texture freak, meaning that I want to play games like Star Citizen or Project Cars maxed on my 5040x1050 resolution @ 60fps, if possible with 2xAA or 4xAA

4. The GPU has to colour match my system build, being bright blue/black

5. I do not care about temps or electricity usage, purely raw performance for my build

6. I do want to overclock my system, which entails maybe watercooling the GPU(s) at a later stage

There are currently a couple of options for GPU going through my head right now.

1. Sapphire R9 290x Vapor-X 8gb (€475 in NL), with option for CF later on, because of VRAM

2. MSI R9 290x Lightning 4gb (€390 in NL, custom paint the shroud blue to match the build), with option for CF later on, because of good reviews

3. Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 4gb (€600 in NL), because generally considered the best card available currently

4. Wait for R9 300x series (€600-€700?), because rumoured to annihilate GTX 980 thanks to HBM

Why CF 290x's and no SLI GTX 980? Because for the same price as two 980's, I can get 3 Lightnings or Vapor-X's. Even with scaling, I think tri-CF 290x should perform better than SLI GTX 980 (correct me if I am wrong though)

Why CF 290x's and no CF R9 300x? Because I genuinely believe this single GPU can and will outperfom a CF 290x config

On a side note, can a 1000w PSU handle the CF 290x's above?

Please let me know what your thoughts are, and of course, why you think that. If you have any other, better suggestions, I am all ears.  :ph34r:

8gb vaporx 2-way CRFX

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

you'd need a r9 295x2 to really make things shine.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

not a good option if he is going to be maxing out the VRAM

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

I would think that a single R9 290X could do this pretty well. SLI GTX 970s would be a good way to go too (from what I've heard SLI is more commonly supported than CFX).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akw4shLcvHI

Here you can see that the R9 290 can max out these games at 5760x1080 at around 40 fps, so a 290X is around 10% faster and 5040x1050 is around 5-10% less demanding. R9 290X would be the minimum to play at mostly ultra settings at this res. SLI 970s or CFX R9 290s would be ideal (the latter requiring a very beefy PSU and really good airflow)

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

The card is fine in my opinion if you're only doing 1080p resolution gaming.

I would say it has more than only 5% less performance though. Framerates drop dramatically when you go across that 3.5GB threshold it appears.

That being said OP, if you like AMD more then you can't really go wrong with either waiting for the 3xx series to roll out, or go with some R9 290Xs, in my opinion.

Yeah, everyone has a different opinion about the .5gb issue. Would you go for the Vapor-X or the Lightning CF config?