5040x1050 Graphic Card Suggestion

monden27
Go to solution Solved by monden27,

My guess would be no but like I said, no personal experience in this regard.

Also the Vapor-X is cooler, it's not just a colour change. The downside to the Vapor-X is the lighting on the word "Sapphire" changes to red if it gets too hot... luckily the cooler is a BEAST and it takes a lot to get it that hot.

Cool, thnx for the info. I'll ponder a bit on the 4gb vs 8gb issue, and decide on that. If I chose 8gb, the choice is simple: CF Vapor-X 8gb :P 4gb, then I think ill rather go for CF Lightning (because its cheaper and slightly better than the Vapor-X, according to our God Linus) and paint is blue, or if the VRAM fix works out well, maybe have a look at SLI GTX 970 G1's ;)

My guess would be no but like I said, no personal experience in this regard.

Also the Vapor-X is cooler, it's not just a colour change. The downside to the Vapor-X is the lighting on the word "Sapphire" changes to red if it gets too hot... luckily the cooler is a BEAST and it takes a lot to get it that hot.

Cool, thnx for the info. I'll ponder a bit on the 4gb vs 8gb issue, and decide on that. If I chose 8gb, the choice is simple: CF Vapor-X 8gb :P 4gb, then I think ill rather go for CF Lightning (because its cheaper and slightly better than the Vapor-X, according to our God Linus) and paint is blue, or if the VRAM fix works out well, maybe have a look at SLI GTX 970 G1's ;)

Hi Guys,

I need some advice, because me brain is starting to hurt. I am currently building the following computer:

Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed - Gun Metal

CPU: Intel i5 4690k

MoBo: ASRock Z97 Extreme 4

RAM: Kingston 16gb dual channel HyperX Fury Blue 1866mhz

Cooler: Corsair H100i

PSU: Cooler Master V1000

SSD: Crucial M500 240gb

HDD: WD Black 2tb

Accesoires: Various Sleeved blue cables and LED's

Display: 2x HP LA2205wg + 1 HP L2245wg (1680x1050 each)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/68T6Lk

As you can see, there is one part missing: The GPU, as is the case with many many builds.

A few thinks about me:

1. I am an AMD boy (please don't hate :P), meaning that I will prefer AMD over NVIDIA when given the choice. However, if AMD is not the best choice, I am flexible (thus my choice for a 4690k over a FX-8350)

2. My budget for a videocard is up to €600 per purchase, meaning a CF or SLI config will be split into 2 separate purchases.

3. I'm a texture freak, meaning that I want to play games like Star Citizen or Project Cars maxed on my 5040x1050 resolution @ 60fps, if possible with 2xAA or 4xAA

4. The GPU has to colour match my system build, being bright blue/black

5. I do not care about temps or electricity usage, purely raw performance for my build

6. I do want to overclock my system, which entails maybe watercooling the GPU(s) at a later stage

There are currently a couple of options for GPU going through my head right now.

1. Sapphire R9 290x Vapor-X 8gb (€475 in NL), with option for CF later on, because of VRAM

2. MSI R9 290x Lightning 4gb (€390 in NL, custom paint the shroud blue to match the build), with option for CF later on, because of good reviews

3. Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 4gb (€600 in NL), because generally considered the best card available currently

4. Wait for R9 300x series (€600-€700?), because rumoured to annihilate GTX 980 thanks to HBM

Why CF 290x's and no SLI GTX 980? Because for the same price as two 980's, I can get 3 Lightnings or Vapor-X's. Even with scaling, I think tri-CF 290x should perform better than SLI GTX 980 (correct me if I am wrong though)

Why CF 290x's and no CF R9 300x? Because I genuinely believe this single GPU can and will outperfom a CF 290x config

On a side note, can a 1000w PSU handle the CF 290x's above?

Please let me know what your thoughts are, and of course, why you think that. If you have any other, better suggestions, I am all ears.  :ph34r:

at that res 4gb should be adequate for some time, your res is 5.3 Mil pixels. 4k is 8+ Mil pixels. at 4k my gtx980 is using 3.6-3.9gb Vram with AA enabled. I estimate that 4gb at 5.3 Mil pixels will be fine for the life of the cores (until games require more performance than your GPU's can provide).

The R9 3xx is coming out with 4gb of ram...

with a 750w PSU I ran crossfire r9 290's on my 4690 (stock clocks) and even overclocked them to 1ghz each without having a crash for the duration that I had them (mATX case lead me to sell them due to heat)

so with that said, get crossfire R9 290x's of whatever type suits your case design.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.