5040x1050 Graphic Card Suggestion

monden27
Go to solution Solved by monden27,

My guess would be no but like I said, no personal experience in this regard.

Also the Vapor-X is cooler, it's not just a colour change. The downside to the Vapor-X is the lighting on the word "Sapphire" changes to red if it gets too hot... luckily the cooler is a BEAST and it takes a lot to get it that hot.

Cool, thnx for the info. I'll ponder a bit on the 4gb vs 8gb issue, and decide on that. If I chose 8gb, the choice is simple: CF Vapor-X 8gb :P 4gb, then I think ill rather go for CF Lightning (because its cheaper and slightly better than the Vapor-X, according to our God Linus) and paint is blue, or if the VRAM fix works out well, maybe have a look at SLI GTX 970 G1's ;)

you'd need a r9 295x2 to really make things shine.

r9 295x2 isn't a great option since it only has 4gb vram.  8gb vaporx is the way to go :)

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Stop being an ass clown mate. The 970 is broken and this is a fact. please stop trolling and bothering me cause I am not recommending you broken card.

Except the card isn't broken, works perfectly fine actually. It only has slower vram on the last 500mb module. This does not effect performance much, if at all in most cases. The only time it would is if it loaded a section in the game entirely on that module. Even then it's still several times faster than ddr3. You just see one thing on the internet and rush into these forums shouting to the mountains "the card is broken! All of them are broken." Even though there is no reputable source to back that video up. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

r9 295x2 the 8Gb version (yes its a thing) would be your best shot at that res, or just wait for the 300 series tbh 

Looking pretty slim for high res gaming atm

not a good option if he is going to be maxing out the VRAM

r9 295x2 isn't a great option since it only has 4gb vram.  8gb vaporx is the way to go :)

That is what I am actually most afraid of, and why I am putting in the 8gb one. I dont mind getting 970's or 980's or Lightning's if they can all handle the resolution, but I dont want to end up spending €1200 in card, just to find out that my vram is capping my gaming experience :P

Except the card isn't broken, works perfectly fine actually. It only has slower vram on the last 500mb module. This does not effect performance much, if at all in most cases. The only time it would is if it loaded a section in the game entirely on that module. Even then it's still several times faster than ddr3. You just see one thing on the internet and rush into these forums shouting to the mountains "the card is broken! All of them are broken." Even though there is no reputable source to back that video up. 

See the pattern here. The nvidia fans claim Vram Gate is a lie when it's a proven issue.

r9 295x2 the 8Gb version (yes its a thing) would be your best shot at that res, or just wait for the 300 series tbh 

Looking pretty slim for high res gaming atm

True, but that bad boy is doing €1200 on its own, for that I can almost go Tri Vapor-X :P though I am not sure how that would stack against a 295x2 8gb :)

See the pattern here. The nvidia fans claim Vram Gate is a lie when it's a proven issue.

Oh dear, nice discussion going on here :P I value both your inputs and opinions, but it's not helping me get closer to my answer ;) maybe I can make you guys a seperate post where you can go wild? :P

Yeah, everyone has a different opinion about the .5gb issue. Would you go for the Vapor-X or the Lightning CF config?

I would go with either the Lightning or the Tri-X. I personally think the Tri-X looks badass, and it's Sapphire, so you can't really go wrong with it in my opinion.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

dude stop with this bullshit. every single gtx 970 review proves its the best gpu at that price range. 

Oh dear, nice discussion going on here :P I value both your inputs and opinions, but it's not helping me get closer to my answer ;) maybe I can make you guys a seperate post where you can go wild? :P

Just saying that for you another option rather than the 970 would be good cause of your high resolution and the Vram Gate issue.

Just saying that for you another option rather than the 970 would be good cause of your high resolution and the Vram Gate issue.

And I agree with you fully on that, and appreciate it. It also seems to be the general consensus due to the amount of VRAM that this setup would require. And as I said, everyone has a different take on the VRAM-gate. If you believe it is insufficient or incorrect for my rig, you are definitely allowed to say so, that why I ask your opinion. And if sean believes this is not the case, then he can say so as well ;)

And also, someone said that NVIDIA has acknowledge they "messed up", and they will be fixing it anyway, so chances are that this whole VRAM-gate thing isnt an issue anymore in a week or 2 and everyone will be happy again :P even so, seems that 4gb, being AMD or NVIDIA, will prob cap out my VRAM anyway, so best solution looks like a 8gb AMD card, being the Vapor-X CF

i don't think 8gb is needed now, 4gb is ample for 4k at the moment. in 4k bench marks its only minimal difference, and for the added money now could be saved for a upgrade sooner if it were needed.

source: http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/68/amd-radeon-r9-290x-4gb-vs-8gb-4k-maxed-settings/index.html

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

i don't think 8gb is needed now, 4gb is ample for 4k at the moment. in 4k bench marks its only minimal difference, and for the added money now could be saved for a upgrade sooner if it were needed.

source: http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/68/amd-radeon-r9-290x-4gb-vs-8gb-4k-maxed-settings/index.html

That's the kind of info I am looking for! Thnx :)

And also, someone said that NVIDIA has acknowledge they "messed up", and they will be fixing it anyway, so chances are that this whole VRAM-gate thing isnt an issue anymore in a week or 2 and everyone will be happy again :P even so, seems that 4gb, being AMD or NVIDIA, will prob cap out my VRAM anyway, so best solution looks like a 8gb AMD card, being the Vapor-X CF

nvidia did not acknowledge anything. They basically stated that the Vram Gate is by design. A Petition against nvidia has been started at change.org for compensation from nvidia to 970 owners. I don't want you to invest in expensive tech that might not be worth your money.

https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-refund-for-gtx-970

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Responds-GTX-970-35GB-Memory-Issue

And I agree with you fully on that, and appreciate it. It also seems to be the general consensus due to the amount of VRAM that this setup would require. And as I said, everyone has a different take on the VRAM-gate. If you believe it is insufficient or incorrect for my rig, you are definitely allowed to say so, that why I ask your opinion. And if sean believes this is not the case, then he can say so as well ;)

I think people are exaggerating, to be honest. I know plenty of people playing at 4K without issues using 4GB cards, and 4K is significantly more detailed and more pixels than 5040x1050. I think 4GB card(s) is plenty for your use, but I don't have personal experience with extremely high res gaming.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

nvidia did not acknowledge anything. They basically stated that the Vram Gate is by design. A Petition against nvidia has been started at change.org for compensation from nvidia to 970 owners. I don't want you to invest in expensive tech that might not be worth your money.

https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-refund-for-gtx-970

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Responds-GTX-970-35GB-Memory-Issue

This was the link I got in. Apparently it was from a reddit, so I cannot vouch for any authenticity :P

http://gamingtheater.net/2015/01/nvidia-false-advertisement-we-messed-up/

I think people are exaggerating, to be honest. I know plenty of people playing at 4K without issues using 4GB cards, and 4K is significantly more detailed and more pixels than 5040x1050. I think 4GB card(s) is plenty for your use, but I don't have personal experience with extremely high res gaming.

Looking at that tweaktown test, indeed it looks like the 4gb would suffice. In that case, the Tri-X would be a good purchase @ €299 in NL. Just a shame its yellow! :P guess I would have to watercool them straight away then ;)

Two or three 980 lol.

Yeaaaahhhhh... not going to happen :P Then i'd rather go tri Lightning ;)

Looking at that tweaktown test, indeed it looks like the 4gb would suffice. In that case, the Tri-X would be a good purchase @ €299 in NL. Just a shame its yellow! :P guess I would have to watercool them straight away then ;)

Do they have a Vapor-X model? There should be a 4GB Vapor-X that is blue.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

290x lightning?

Also good.

borat-success.jpg

Now does that look like a man that would lie to you ??? I think not people.

Do they have a Vapor-X model? There should be a 4GB Vapor-X that is blue.

Oh yeah, they do! €20 premium on the blue scheme though, bunch of jerks :P but then only €75 to the 8gb model. Is double the VRAM worth €75? :P

NVM, its a €20 premium over the Lightning :P €405 for the Vapor-X 4gb in NL, vs. €480 for the 8gb one. €299 of the Tri-X

Now does that look like a man that would lie to you ??? I think not people.

Iz very naice!

Oh yeah, they do! €20 premium on the blue scheme though, bunch of jerks :P but then only €75 to the 8gb model. Is double the VRAM worth €75? :P

My guess would be no but like I said, no personal experience in this regard.

Also the Vapor-X is cooler, it's not just a colour change. The downside to the Vapor-X is the lighting on the word "Sapphire" changes to red if it gets too hot... luckily the cooler is a BEAST and it takes a lot to get it that hot.