U.S. Supreme court overturns anti gay marriage laws.

beebskadoo

YAY, Great news today in America! The Supreme court in a 5 to 4 vote to repeal legislation inhibiting same sex couples from receiving tax, health and pension benefits. This will Further pave the way for equality for all US citizens. There's still a ways to go but it's a happy day for me. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

^_^

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

This is great news

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

That's awesome, but it's still depressing that they BARELY passed it.

Yeah we have a long way to go in the U.S. 5/4 is too close for my liking but thankfully it passed. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Nice step in the right direction. Now if only the rest of your country would get on the same page and just legalize same sex marriage already!

I just want to point out that this is only talking about DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) and that other laws and acts are unaffected by this ruling unless other rulings come along. 

The reason this was overturned (and so barely so) is because it was essentially directly aimed at "hurting" homosexual couples. In other words, that's the reason and the "problem". Not because it made rights unequal, but because it was directly aimed at hurting a specific demographic. 

Those are two very different things and there are very important legal distinctions between them.

Other laws won't be so easy to overcome.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Even though it's only about DOMA, it's still a step. 

Hail Sithis!

Myself I prefer the good old days.

When was that?....never......

Hail Sithis!

Idk why it didn't get passed sooner, if people wanna be happy let em be happy, I dun see a reason to discriminate etc 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Even though it's only about DOMA, it's still a step.

You don't seem to understand.

The fact that they used that reasoning to justify overturning the act means they aren't prepared, able, or willing to use "unequal rights" as a reason for it.

It's just reinforcing a precedent that's existed for a while. It's a step alright, but not towards legalizing same sex marriage nation-wide.

I figure it will come down to the state laws again, like it usually does in these situations.

Or something similar to the Board of Education V Brown case. And if the dissent is similar to that one, ... well that's just going to be a clusterf***.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You don't seem to understand.

The fact that they used that reasoning to justify overturning the act means they aren't prepared, able, or willing to use "unequal rights" as a reason for it.

It's just reinforcing a precedent that's existed for a while. It's a step alright, but not towards legalizing same sex marriage nation-wide.

I figure it will come down to the state laws again, like it usually does in these situations.

Or something similar to the Board of Education V Brown case. And if the dissent is similar to that one, ... well that's just going to be a clusterf***.

Well, as I said we still have a way to go. 

Hail Sithis!

Well, as I said we still have a way to go. 

Indeed.

And if it is like Board V Brown, well, I doubt it will ever come to fruition.

There are still schools in this country that are segregated. Let that sink in for a minute.

† Christian Member †

The reason this was overturned (and so barely so) is because it was essentially directly aimed at "hurting" homosexual couples. In other words, that's the reason and the "problem". Not because it made rights unequal, but because it was directly aimed at hurting a specific demographic.

Not letting gay couples the right to marry IS hurting gay couples. I fail to see your point.

Myself I prefer the good old days.

And yourself can go on preferring that and let other people enjoy a more progressive world, that being one that exists in the 21st century.

I doubt it will ever come to fruition.

No, it will. Being as a conservative as the USA is it'll take them longer than others to take it up, which is already happening, but It's inevitable.

Not letting gay couples the right to marry IS hurting gay couples. I fail to see your point.

And yourself can go on preferring that and let other people enjoy a more progressive world, that being one that exists in the 21st century.

No, it will. Being as a conservative as the USA is it'll take them longer than others to take it up, which is already happening, but It's inevitable.

My point is that they didn't do it because of unequal rights, but because it was stereotyping. This implies by way of inference that it isn't actually, legally, unequal rights, (EDIT) as that would be a stronger argument to make, if it indeed is.

You mean like desegregation? ... Oh ... wait. 

† Christian Member †

My point is that they didn't do it because of unequal rights, but because it was stereotyping. This implies by way of inference that it isn't actually, legally, unequal rights, (EDIT) as that would be a stronger argument to make, if it indeed is.

You mean like desegregation? ... Oh ... wait. 

Of course it indeed is, whether they want to make that argument or not.

This isn't segregation in the same sense that apartheid was. This is due to where specific racial groups are living, which when being a minority often centres among others of the same group, therefore building communties that have a high percentage of that racial group and therefore schools in the area that reflect this. There's no ulterior motive here. People aren't being segregated.

Schools in my area have high percentages of asian students, a few suburbs across that isn't the case. It's not segregation that causes this.

I disagree. If it were legally unequal rights, it would make a much stronger case (and likely have put them in a more unanimous stance beyond 5-4) if they argued that instead.

Ever heard of "re-districting"? It affects schools very similarly to how it affects votes.

I'm not saying what you said doesn't factor in, I'm just saying it's easy to make it this way.

It's more of an indirect segregation by way of that, but still. 

† Christian Member †

I disagree. If it were legally unequal rights, it would make a much stronger case (and likely have put them in a more unanimous stance beyond 5-4) if they argued that instead.

Ever heard of "re-districting"? It affects schools very similarly to how it affects votes.

I'm not saying what you said doesn't factor in, I'm just saying it's easy to make it this way.

So what is your stance on gay marriage? YOUR stance.

Hail Sithis!

So what is your stance on gay marriage? YOUR stance.

Mine? I'm completely against it.

I'm completel skeptical towards the idea that it will be nation-wide, but I fully expect it to go the way of states' rights and each state has to respect other states' laws.

A sort of round about way of doing it, but eh. I don't agree with it, but it will likely happen.

† Christian Member †

Mine? I'm completely against it.

I'm completel skeptical towards the idea that it will be nation-wide, but I fully expect it to go the way of states' rights and each state has to respect other states' laws.

A sort of round about way of doing it, but eh. I don't agree with it, but it will likely happen.

Would you rather not see marriage equality in this nation? Why are you completely against it? 

Hail Sithis!

Would you rather not see marriage equality in this nation? Why are you completely against it? 

But there is marriage equality in this nation.

I'm a heterosexual male. I can marry the same people homosexual males can. The same applies with women.

I look at it on an individual basis.

And if your concern is by couple, well, legally, love has no definition as far as I know. It isn't a part of the equation. The only time I think I've ever heard emotions or anything subjective mentioned legally is in respect to probably cause with a police officer.

† Christian Member †

It is unequal rights, just no one is willing to admit that yet because it isn't nearly in the midst of becoming legal yet in the US. When it becomes legal then it will be looked back on as being unequal, in the same boat as the countless number of examples of rights issues that legally don't exist today.

You'd think the this day and age people would be more accepting of these kinds of "issues".

You sir are from Texas, the state with the most backward education system, the highest abortion rate and the highest rate of teen pregnancy and reoccurring teen pregnancy. Some schools if not all in your state teach abstinence only education which is proven to fail.

Hail Sithis!