Anyone else agree that Eclipse is a terrible IDE?

Robi_g

I use IDEA, for when I decide "HEY! I'm gonna learn java, then seriously f*** something up and quit once again"

I recently switched over to IntelliJ IDEA from it, in comparison it is definatley more clunky, used up less RAM though

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

OH MY GOD YES

I never used Eclipse besides when it was the only IDE that supported Android. For everything else I used Netbeans. Now I use IntelliJ when I write something in Java (not often) and Netbeans for C++.

Hate Java, hate Eclipse. I might not have hated Java as much as I do if it wasn't for Eclipse. A.Horribly.Long(programminglanguagewithuglysyntax) in an equally bloated IDE that makes the simplest tasks a drudgery. Yet while it copies Java, C# manages to feel neater and more efficient. It just gets annoying when everyone forces something on you because of what it can do and not what you will do and that's where Eclipse and some other programs fail.

OH MY GOD YES

I never used Eclipse besides when it was the only IDE that supported Android. For everything else I used Netbeans. Now I use IntelliJ when I write something in Java (not often) and Netbeans for C++.

Netbeans???? 

OH MY GOD YES NO

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I use Eclipse solely because it's what we use in school... But I prefer Visual Studio and C# over Eclipse and Java

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

That said, you're limiting yourself i you use an editor like Notepad++ for serious work.

You're also limiting yourself if you use a language like Java for serious work...amirite?

emacs+paredit=clisp badassery

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

ctrl+click as go to definition was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. I kept having it happen when I was trying to copy and paste things and had no idea why it was happening.

I also often give up trying to figure out why there are red lines everywhere on code that compiles fine.

There was also this fun problem where it would give me a null pointer exception when it tried to open certain .jsp files in the web editor.

Eclipse is usually broken at any given time.

That said, you're limiting yourself i you use an editor like Notepad++ for serious work.

Eh, IDE's are more trouble than their worth if you're just doing a small project that doesn't rely on DB connections, internet communication, etc.

Having moved to Visual Studio this afternoon I've found it to be infinitely better than Eclipse:

• It hasn't crashed once.
  • It's compiled everything every time I've told it to.
  • It updates syntax errors immediately instead of whenever it feels like it.
  • I has an autocomplete funtion.
  • It doesn't open multiple windows to run.
  • The default colour scheme is dark so I'm not blinded by it.

My experience with VS2012 and VS2013 were not quite that smooth.

The debugger on both of them didn't actually trigger reliably for me. It worked whenever it felt like it.

If you delete the code for an event handler from a windows form, the form refuses to open in the editor anymore unless you delete autogenerated code. 

And there were a bunch of other little things that bothered me

Even stranger is that I had none of these problems on VS2010. I could delete event handler code and the form still opened;  the debugger always triggered, etc.

Eh, IDE's are more trouble than their worth if you're just doing a small project that doesn't rely on DB connections, internet communication, etc.

Using Notepad++ for any kind of development is still silly.

You're also limiting yourself if you use a language like Java for serious work...amirite?

hue

I originally started working with Java before Eclipse even was a thing and took a long hiatus from it around the time Eclipse hit -- I was using emacs to write the code and command line scripts to build it. My coworkers use it to write back-end services and everyone swears by it, but I'm still trying to get the hang of it and cannot stand it. It's also horribly slow. At least JUnit integrates well into it, so it's quite capable on that mark and makes it easy to see where and how any unit tests failed, but for writing code.... yuck... I mean Visual Studio is a more capable and intuitive environment than Eclipse, in my opinion.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

emacs+paredit=clisp badassery

I should probably clarify that I'm doing C and C++ work on eclipse, I can't speak for the Java experience

I should probably clarify that I'm doing C and C++ work on eclipse, I can't speak for the Java experience

That's probably even worse.

I can't stand Eclipse for the life of me.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I don't like Eclipse either. Netbeans isn't so nice either.

Oh boy, you're going to love Visual Studio. Be sure to install resharper!

Using Notepad++ for any kind of development is still silly.

What's wrong with using it for something fairly small?

I've moved to light solutions like Sublime text recently, but in the past I always preferred jetbrains software, like IntelIJ, over eclipse. 

I do hate netbeans, And I like code blocks for C++

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

What's wrong with using it for something fairly small?

Define "small". At some point it's just easier to learn how to use a real text editor and use that for everything.

Define "small". At some point it's just easier to learn how to use a real text editor and use that for everything.

I consider small as anything where the code could reasonably fit in one manageable text file.

I consider small as anything where the code could reasonably fit in one manageable text file.

Cool. I still prefer to use something a more capable than Notepad++ if it's available. If you don't, neat; I'm glad you're happy with whatever you're doing.

I use alot of diffrent IDE's for programming since it seems like everywhere I'm at uses a diffrent one.. Overall my favorite Java IDE is by far InteliJ (which Android Studio is built on top off), as it's a nice really full feature but modern and slick IDE that's all eye candy. I still do use Eclipse though for Java development for robot code for FRC and honestly I do quite like it even if it is clunky at the best of times, I still like Egit's integration better than most git plugins for other IDE's too. Visual Studio is still very near and dear to my heart as well since I really only use it for C# development and with the 2013 Ultimate it's so awesome even over what I used to think was so great, 2010 Ultimate.. *For small scale stuff & most simple web site data, obviously not the Java web apps, I just use Notepad++ and if I need compliling I just use the command line. Overall after all that rambling, *looks at title.., I don't really think Eclipse is a terrible IDE, I mean yea it is a little troublesome at times, but I've dealt with far worse IDE issues from others than I really ever have had with Eclipse; Although, making small projects in Eclipse usually is a pain. (I'm an applications programmer & student at the moment FYI)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

• 7 years later...

Hahha I can tell you went to Southampton Uni. I'm doing electronic engineering in my second year and I'm doing the computer engineering coursework and getting so pissed off at Eclipse right now. 

On 2/2/2015 at 12:01 AM, Art Vandelay said:

ctrl+click as go to definition was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. I kept having it happen when I was trying to copy and paste things and had no idea why it was happening.

I also often give up trying to figure out why there are red lines everywhere on code that compiles fine.

There was also this fun problem where it would give me a null pointer exception when it tried to open certain .jsp files in the web editor.

My experience with VS2012 and VS2013 were not quite that smooth.

The debugger on both of them didn't actually trigger reliably for me. It worked whenever it felt like it.

If you delete the code for an event handler from a windows form, the form refuses to open in the editor anymore unless you delete autogenerated code. 

And there were a bunch of other little things that bothered me

Even stranger is that I had none of these problems on VS2010. I could delete event handler code and the form still opened;  the debugger always triggered, etc.

VS 2010 was great, but after that until 2015 came out it was a total mess.

I'm glad my uni switched to IntelliJ the year I started. I have my qualms with it, but it's nowhere as bad as Eclipse it seems.

🙂