This whole VRAM debacle is great press for AMD unfortunately

zappian

Nvidia has had the misfortune to have this controversy right behind the 3xx launch.

They lied about their gtx 970 specs at launch.

Do you think this will benefit the upcoming 3xxx series launch in any way?

Vote in the poll.

Doubt it. The majority of people still has no idea this issue exists.

OR... Just like me, they don't care 'cause it's an amazing card anyways. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

This

And simply because the 970 is still an AMAZING card in its own right, it just has that 0.5GB issue which is not half as relevant as people might expect

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

This

And simply because the 970 is still an AMAZING card in its own right, it just has that 0.5GB issue which is not half as relevant as people might expect

But what if the 380x wipes the floor with the 970 at the same price?

Im not saying thats the case just asking what if that happens.

Then the VRAM will not be the reason the 380X wipes the 970 away so it's still not an issue

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I am an AMD GPU boy anyway :P Love their cards. (and then specifically from Sapphire mostly)

Oh no not really..
Lots of people don't know about it and others don't think it is huge.

I don't really think it will benefit AMD, as Nvidia (and their partners) seems to have some solutions already

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Still we have see. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Then the VRAM will not be the reason the 380X wipes the 970 away so it's still not an issue

The problem is not the VRAM.

Its the bridges that NVIDIA burned by lying to their consumers.

And the lack of trust.

Nvidia lied that much we know:

They only fessed up when it was too late.

Nvidia lied that much we know:

No they didn't.... There is still 4GB on the card and the last 0.5GB is still faster than RAM swapping

The problem is not the VRAM.

What does trust have anything to do with whether card A beats card B...

No they didn't.... There is still 4GB on the card and the last 0.5GB is still faster than RAM swapping

They fucking lied lol.

Exibit A:

The video i linked 

Exbith B:

Fake specs at launch:

REVISED SPECS after this debacle

NJjhPSB.pngOriginal specs:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-geforce-gtx-970-strix-review,5.html

If you choose to ignore this FACT you are simply a fan boy.

OR... Just like me, they don't care 'cause it's an amazing card anyways. 

This

Gents, it's not a matter of if the card is amazing and performs well, we all know it does, we've seen the benchmarks, and even if this issue hit's only like 5% of owners it is not about that.

IT IS a matter of principle, you did not ENTIRELY get what you paid for. You should at least be compensated with a free game or something. It is false advertising and it is shameful for a company such as Nvidia to do such a thing.

Gents, it's not a matter of if the card is amazing and performs well, we all know it does, we've seen the benchmarks, and even if this issue hit's only like 5% of owners it is not about that.

IT IS a matter of principle, you did not ENTIRELY get what you paid for. You should at least be compensated with a free game or something. It is false advertising and it is shameful for a company such as Nvidia to do such a thing.

nah. Still don't care

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

They lied about the amount of L2 cache and ROP units and they didn't disclose how the memory is laid out. The fact that those .5GB are still faster than accessing system memory is completely irrelevant, they lied for several months when it comes to the 970's specs. People have already found situations (mostly with SLI sytems) where they need more than 3.5GB of VRAM, performance tanks, tons of stuttering occurs and the whole thing is a mess for them. This shouldn't happen and those people got burned by their purchase, I hope you understand that this is a serious issue.

nah. Still don't care

Then at least show a bit of empathy for the people who do care and for the people who are not getting the performance they were promised. Yes, real people are running into issues with their 970s and it's not a nice situation to be in, you should care or at least let them voice their opinion and their frustration on the matter.

I didnt because im not a bitch to big companies.

If you are thats your own personal prerogative.

Nope, I didn't either. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Nope, I didn't either. 

If we say to nvidia look its okay we lied to us and spit on our faces they will do it again.

What part of this don't you guys understand?

Why do you think gaming is a joke nowadays?

Because people buy every smidgen of DLC and yearly crap releases and preorder shit.

Fanboys will find it's weakness and that will be the new reason to hate video cards because that's what fanboys do. 

If it runs hotter, OMGZZZ It'll burn down muh house! 

If it uses more power, OMGZZZ I cant pay muh billz.

If none of these things are the problem, OMGZZZ It's red!!

They fucking lied lol.

Exibit A:

Say what you want, but there is still 4GB PHYSICALLY THERE ON THE CARD AND USABLE. That 0.5GB of it is not as fast is technically irrelevant because it's there, they did NOT lie about the amount of VRAM

Exbith B:

Fake specs at launch:

As was explained there was miscommunication between the marketing team and the engineering team leading to the marketing team saying 64 ROP's as opposed to the 56 that the engineering team said.

This falls under the category of mistakes were made with communication between groups, I wouldn't call it "lying" because it was hardly intentional.

Also the fact that you watched Exhibit A and STILL say the card has no 4GB just shows that you just want to bash Nvidia at every possible turn (In other words: AMD fanboy)

Say what you want, but there is still 4GB PHYSICALLY THERE ON THE CARD AND USABLE. That 0.5GB of it is not as fast is technically irrelevant because it's there, they did NOT lie about the amount of VRAM

As was explained there was miscommunication between the marketing team and the engineering team leading to the marketing team saying 64 ROP's as opposed to the 56 that the engineering team said.

This falls under the category of mistakes were made with communication between groups, I wouldn't call it "lying" because it was hardly intentional.

Also the fact that you watched Exhibit A and STILL say the card has no 4GB just shows that you just want to bash Nvidia at every possible turn (In other words: AMD fanboy)

"Miscommunication "

52905293.jpg

So gullible lol.

They only fessed up when their faces were against a brick wall which seems shady as fuck if you have any 

common sense whatsoeber.

You guys have a severe case of Stockholm syndrome.

1. Lol

2. You have no idea what stockholm syndrome is obviously

"Miscommunication "

So gullible lol.

In before AMD would've done the same thing as Nvidia and then you say "Guys it was a mistake"

nah. Still don't care

Your money, your own choice to care or not to care, but it would be arrogant to ignore it from my point of view.

good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-

Lack of trust? Like when everybody was crying over Ubisoft and still went out and both FC4 and AC4?

That's why I haven't bought either of them even though I love both of the franchises, I will buy AC4 once it's patched out and the price by then will drop by a lot. And I won't buy FC4 because I do get my cd keys from stores and apparently they are deleting the games that were not bought thru their system. -_-

In before AMD would've done the same thing as Nvidia and then you say "Guys it was a mistake"

I call AMD out all the time.

I give them shit about their FX processors all the time on this forum.

Sorry if i think lying to the customers is wrong , if only i had lower moral standards right?

If it was a miscommunication why didn't a single Nvidia engineer say something after several months? How did this miscommunication happen in the first place? Why did they need to "investigate the issue" when they already knew what was up? They're either incompetent (I hope you realize how much of a fuck-up a messed up spec-sheet is) or they're lying through their teeth, either way it's not favourable and they should be held accountable for their actions.

Your money, your own choice to care or not to care, but it would be arrogant to ignore it from my point of view.

And i respect your opinion.