I will explain you why nvidia lied to you.

zappian

ROP stands for Raster Operator; "Raster Operators (ROPs) handle several chores near the end of the of the pixel pipeline. ROPs handle anti-aliasing, Z and color compression, and the actual writing of the pixel to the output buffer.

[sarcasm]The GTX 970 is now the worst possible card to have for the money and now, ever so suddenly, it probably performs worse than an R9 280X because the 970 is bottlenecking from lies.[/sarcasm]

Gotta admit, guys, what you are all spotting is bullshit. It was an error that they even clarified.

The GTX 970 would perform the same regardless of ROPs, they even mentioned how it's not the bottleneck.

All I can say is that mine has been spectacular in watch dogs, battlefield 4, metro LL, SWTOR, fallout NV, and Skyrim modded to hell.

If they do a recall and give me a free 980 (unlikely lol) my jaw will break through the floor, if not, meh.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

All I can say is that mine has been spectacular in watch dogs, battlefield 4, metro LL, SWTOR, fallout NV, and Skyrim modded to hell.

If they do a recall and give me a free 980 (unlikely lol) my jaw will break through the floor, if not, meh.

Do you play at 4k?

Do you play at 4k?

no. currently 1080 at 60hz because that's what my gaming monitor is (asus, not sure of model number at this moment).

If I get more money, I'd like to upgrade to 1440p

Man I would fall back in love with nvidia if they stood up and said you now what our bad and we are going to support our customers and replace your funky 970 with a proper 980 free of charge. That is the only way they could redeem themselves and turn a negative into a positive.

Do you play at 4k?

So is everyone with a 970. A 970 isnt a 4k card. Even two 980s dont handle 4k amazingly well.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So is everyone with a 970. A 970 isnt a 4k card. Even two 980s dont handle 4k amazingly well.

Two 970 play 4k and many people i have met here that have 4k 970 sli rigs have had problems.

Have some consideration for them will you.

No question about the GTX 970's spectacular performance. However, if you do plan on going SLI for 1440p-4K, you can forget it. In SLI, memory becomes the biggest bottleneck, because of how SLI works. Every megabyte counts, every extra ns of latency or loss of bandwith will cause additional stuttering.

They clarified after they were pushed against a brick wall.

They kept their mouths shut until people started complaining and then revealed it was a "marketing issue"

Coincidence..

They faked their specs in the beginning to sell cards to early adopters.

The point of the matter is NVIDIA lied , weather you think thats ok or not its your own personal prerogative.

I'm getting a very negative mentality out of you.

NVIDIA's engineers could be as enraged as anyone else over this because it was a smaller group that attempted to sell the card as otherwise, miscommunication or not.

All 8,800 of NVIDIA's employees were involved in this and as such, the company is bad and evil and AMD is the winnerer! At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

It is absolute bottleneck when you use AA. It will take a far greater performance hit from AA than if it had full 64 ROP.

No, it's the lies that are bottlenecking. Completely disregard all benchmarks, it's the fact that NVIDIA has lied that this is such a terrible card!

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Two 970 play 4k and many people i have met here that have 4k 970 sli rigs have had problems.

Shall I have some consideration for someone trying to run 4k on XFIRE 260x's too?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

This is from the pc per article

They told us that the 970 had more ROPS than it has 

What they did to consumers inst excusable and should be frowned upon.

Full article on:

Discuss.

bottom line the GTX 970 is a 350$ GPU that performs REALLY well for the price and run's cool and consume less energy then previous generations mid-range cards...so stop complaining and looking for problems about it and enjoy!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Man I would fall back in love with nvidia if they stood up and said you now what our bad and we are going to support our customers and replace your funky 970 with a proper 980 free of charge. That is the only way they could redeem themselves and turn a negative into a positive.

I'd cum in my pants...not to be excessively graphic lol

No question about the GTX 970's spectacular performance. However, if you do plan on going SLI for 1440p-4K, you can forget it. In SLI, memory becomes the biggest bottleneck, because of how SLI works. Every megabyte counts, every extra ns of latency or loss of bandwith will cause additional stuttering.

You wont push over 3.5 GB vram at that res. You are fine IMO , for now.

so 1440p with a 970 isn't doable? I've run watch dogs, portal 2, and swtor at 4k dsr and it has been playable, although sometimes it can get choppy (no raids in SWTOR at 4k dsr)

NVIDIA's engineers could be as enraged as anyone else over this because it was a smaller group that attempted to sell the card as otherwise, miscommunication or not.

All 8,800 of NVIDIA's employees were involved in this and as such, the company is bad and evil and AMD is the winnerer! At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

No, it's the lies that are bottlenecking. Completely disregard all benchmarks, it's the fact that NVIDIA has lied that this is such a terrible card!

As far as I am concerned, AMD will forever have driver problems, at least until their customer reviews = that of nvidia's customer reviews on newegg.

I'm sure they are completely outraged counting their money all the way to the bank that they got by faking specs.

They lied , whether they did it by incompetence or because they were dishonest can be discussed sure.

I will bet on the first option because nvidia has done shady things in the past. 

cough gameworks game rigging cough 

That is because the memory in SLI is mirrored. If one card pushes data into its VRAM, the other one has to mirror it. And if the other card currently needs acess to the main 3.5 GB, it has to wait till the next clock cycle, because memory controllers on the GTX 970 cant work with both memory partitions at once. That causes rendering artefacts and decreases SLI scalability.

I don't know why you would want to support a company that bold face lied to the public for their own profit.

Shall I have some consideration for someone trying to run 4k on XFIRE 260x's too?

Except gtx 970 can actually run 4k games unlike 260x sli.

Or it could without stuttering if nvidia hadn't done what it did.

GTX 970 SLI is faster than 295x2 in sheer performance , you telling me that can run 4k?

Boy you are ignorant it seems.

Except gtx 970 can actually run 4k games unlike 260x sli.

Or it could without stuttering if nvidia hadn't done what it did.

GTX 970 SLI is faster than 295x2 in sheer performance , you telling me that can run 4k?

Boy you are ignorant it seems.

Okay, enjoy your 30 fps. You should try consoles; they're cheaper.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm sure they are completely outraged counting their money all the way to the bank.

They lied , whether they did it by incompetence or because they were dishonest can be discussed sure.

I will bet on the first option.

They lied based on how much and what evidence? Were they taken to a court of law and decided upon by a jury? Or did somebody notice the hiccup and tried to have PR clarify it?

Honestly the card is probably 100% the same as it would be if it had 64 ROPs. As mentioned before, the SMMs are a bottleneck anyway.

Yes NVIDIA should have some backlash to solidify the point in having solid communications between the engineers and sales, but everybody is blowing this completely out of proportion. The GTX 970 is exactly the same, 100%. If you actually needed the additional ROPs and can prove how it's vital (or that the SMMs aren't a bottleneck), and that your 970 specifically could have used it, then maybe NVIDIA should offer you a refund in full and possibly offer a 980. But, I don't think anyone can prove that.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I'd cum in my pants...not to be excessively graphic lol

so 1440p with a 970 isn't doable? I've run watch dogs, portal 2, and swtor at 4k dsr and it has been playable, although sometimes it can get choppy (no raids in SWTOR at 4k dsr)

As far as I am concerned, AMD will forever have driver problems, at least until their customer reviews = that of nvidia's customer reviews on newegg.

It is fully doable, and the choppines is usually caused by the fact that the card needs to process almost 2 times more pixels. The GTX 970 is a card that can do 1440p and be playable, but its not perfect for it, simply not enough fillrate.

I was referring to SLI rig. In SLI, their GTX 970 design is a big problem.

- look at this video. Once the card exceeds 3.5 GB in SLI, huge artefacts, stuttering and bad experience. Single GTX 970 is good, GTX 970 in SLI are problematic. SLI in general is problematic, but when you add to it all the issues that come with 970, you get what you see on the video.

Yep, this looks like the graph of some very enjoyable gameplay. 14164141670QcFceujXf_5_2_l.gif

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

They lied based on how much and what evidence? Were they taken to a court of law and decided upon by a jury? Or did somebody notice the hiccup and tried to have PR clarify it?

Honestly the card is probably 100% the same as it would be if it had 64 ROPs. As mentioned before, the SMMs are a bottleneck anyway.

Yes NVIDIA should have some backlash to solidify the point in having solid communications between the engineers and sales, but everybody is blowing this completely out of proportion. The GTX 970 is exactly the same, 100%. If you actually needed the additional ROPs and can prove how it's vital (or that the SMMs aren't a bottleneck), and that your 970 specifically could have used it, then maybe NVIDIA should offer you a refund in full and possibly offer a 980. But, I don't think anyone can prove that.

I think its shady because they waited until people were reporting the issue to reveal this mess.

They had to have known sooner.

You have two options here.

- They are imbeciles and their QA sucks.

-They are shady cats.

Yep, this looks like the graph of a very enjoyable gameplay. 14164141670QcFceujXf_5_2_l.gif

Its over 30 fps on a very demanding game at 4K.

Whats your rig big guy?

One 780 , try to play 4k with that if you are complaining.

See the benchmarks of the other games.

That's ridiculous though; none of us deserves a $550 card when we payed for a $350 one. I'd just like my money back and they can have their card.

Its over 30 fps on a very demanding game at 4K.

Whats your rig big guy?

One 780 , try to play 4k with that if you are complaining.

See the benchmarks of the other games.

I wouldn't try 4k on my 780 because I'm not a moron. 

Half the time that graph is sitting around 45 fps, which is awful for an FPS game. For a racing game that would be fine -- but then again, it also would't be nearly as hard to drive. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler