GTX 960 4GB model coming in March

Rodneyg87

WCCF FFS! The 128bit bus will die with that amount. The physical chip on the card will implode.

>128-bit bus

>will die

lol

So how come the GTX 960 performs near as well as the 770 4GB at 4K gaming?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I did and I still stand by my point. Multi-GPU in the future? Okay but for $250 there are still better cards for that. All three cards I mentioned for around the same price perform better now and will have more to offer to multi-GPU set ups in the future.

Well no shit, you're comparing a 960 with a 780 and a 290. Next you'll be informing me that a Bugatti Veyron has a higher top speed than a Fiat Punto...

Well no shit, you're comparing a 960 with a 780 and a 290. Next you'll be informing me that a Bugatti Veyron has a higher top speed than a Fiat Punto...

The Punto and the Veyron aren't the same price though. The rumored price for the rumored 4GB 960 puts it right at the level of all three of those significantly better cards which makes it kind of a worthless product, especially when the 280x and 780 are both 3GB cards while the 290 is a 4GB one.

The Punto and the Veyron aren't the same price though. The rumored price for the rumored 4GB 960 puts it right at the level of all three of those significantly better cards which makes it kind of a worthless product, especially when the 280x and 780 are both 3GB cards while the 290 is a 4GB one.

two words that will convince someone to buy it:

"Limited Edition". Will likely come with stickers, and maybe a slightly different air cooler shroud.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Rumoured. You're talking about something that doesn't exist. Secondly, you're comparing it to discontinued (or soon to be) products. Availability is going to plummet.

Having said that, what do we reckon the chances are of the 280X being reborn again as the 370? xD

Rumoured. You're talking about something that doesn't exist. Secondly, you're comparing it to discontinued (or soon to be) products. Availability is going to plummet.

Having said that, what do we reckon the chances are of the 280X being reborn again as the 370? xD

This entire topic is talking about something that doesn't exist. Assuming AMD launches enthusiast cards in Q2 (I'd guess somewhere around the end of April to mid May) both AMD cards will be around through the end of the year, even if AMD discontinues them.

I could see them doing something like that with the 285, since AMD has been heavily pushing and supporting that card since release but the 280x will probably be the end of the line for the still fairly good 7970. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 290 and 290x get renamed and rereleased though.

This entire topic is talking about something that doesn't exist. Assuming AMD launches enthusiast cards in Q2 (I'd guess somewhere around the end of April to mid May) both AMD cards will be around through the end of the year, even if AMD discontinues them.

I could see them doing something like that with the 285, since AMD has been heavily pushing and supporting that card since release but the 280x will probably be the end of the line for the still fairly good 7970. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 290 and 290x get renamed and rereleased though.

There's a difference between talking about how useful a hypothetical product would be, and comparing the prices of hypothetical products. Prices are always going to be pulled out of your arse, whereas the effects of SLI and the advantages of more vram are very well documented.

>128-bit bus

>will die

lol

So how come the GTX 960 performs near as well as the 770 4GB at 4K gaming?

I dont think it will be a problem.

The problem will be pricing , it will be price 50 bucks higher like the 760 4 GB.

And the 290 is gonna crush it at 250 dollars.

Mark my words.

I dont think it will be a problem.

The problem will be pricing , it will be price 50 bucks higher like the 760 4 GB.

And the 290 is gonna crush it at 250 dollars.

Mark my words.

That may be the case but I would be willing to bet once AMD's new lineup hits the shelves the price wars will start. Right now Nvidia doesnt have to bother with pricing to competitively because they still have 3-4 months before the 300 series drops, but I would be willing to bet that once it does the gtx 980($400-450) gtx 970($275-320) and the gtx 960($150-200) is where the prices will bottom out by the time the pricing war is finished. Most people would disagree but AMD is on their last leg and Nvidia knows it so if Nvidia has to take a major hit in profit I would bet they will to pretty much put AMD out of business.

That may be the case but I would be willing to bet once AMD's new lineup hits the shelves the price wars will start. Right now Nvidia doesnt have to bother with pricing to competitively because they still have 3-4 months before the 300 series drops, but I would be willing to bet that once it does the gtx 980($400-450) gtx 970($275-320) and the gtx 960($150-200) is where the prices will bottom out by the time the pricing war is finished. Most people would disagree but AMD is on their last leg and Nvidia knows it so if Nvidia has to take a major hit in profit I would bet they will to pretty much put AMD out of business.

The amd gpu division is as strong as ever.

You are full of shit sir IMO.

How can you say that when AMD cards compete with nvidia card and amd hasnt fucking released their

line of cards to compete with maxwell.

Better amd options:

270x > GTX 660

280  > GTX 760 , GTX 980 

290 > GTX 970 Price to performance( 100 bucks cheaper).

290 SLI > GTX 980 or 295x2( I have seen 295x2 at 600 bucks)

The only card that nvidia has that i consider amazing is the 970 , i will give credit where credit is due , and that card has had some problems recently.

Im a realistic , not a fanboy.

How can you say that when AMD cards compete with nvidia card and amd hasnt fucking released their

Better amd options:

270x > GTX 660

280  > GTX 760 , GTX 980 

The only card that nvidia has that i consider amazing is the 970 , i will give credit where credit is due , and that card has had some problems recently.

If im so full of shit then why is AMD shopping around to find someone to buy their company then. That in itself shows that they are on their last leg. It doesn't matter how strong their GPU devision is when the rest of the company is hemorrhaging money. For 2014 AMD posted losses of $403 Million, 2013 $74 Million in losses, and the biggest of all 2012 they reported a loss of $1.18 Billion I dont think im full of shit when the numbers dont lie. 

Yes they did make up some ground in 2013 with way smaller losses than the other two years but a company can not sustain losses for so many consecutive years without folding. That's where I came up with my statement from my previous post about Nvidia knowing they are on their last leg. If they sustain losses of $200+ Million in 2015 I would bet one of two things will happen they will either sell or file for bankruptcy protection. And in the case of bankruptcy protection they would more than likely sell off the divisions that are not making money such as their cpu devision.

2014-http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2015/01/22/amd-fy2014-loss/1

2013-http://www.eteknix.com/amd-reports-financial-results-74-million-in-losses/

2012-http://techreport.com/news/24248/amd-posts-1-18-billion-loss-for-2012

If im so full of shit then why is AMD shopping around to find someone to buy their company then. That in itself shows that they are on their last leg. It doesn't matter how strong their GPU devision is when the rest of the company is hemorrhaging money. For 2014 AMD posted losses of $403 Million, 2013 $74 Million in losses, and the biggest of all 2012 they reported a loss of $1.18 Billion I dont think im full of shit when the numbers dont lie.

2014-http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2015/01/22/amd-fy2014-loss/1

2013-http://www.eteknix.com/amd-reports-financial-results-74-million-in-losses/

2012-http://techreport.com/news/24248/amd-posts-1-18-billion-loss-for-2012

Because their cpus are crap and are dragging them down.

Is the 960 a powerful enough card to even saturate the buffer to 4GB without running out of horsepower before it can? Would this 4GB card make more sense in a SLI build where the 4GBs can actually be made use of with more demanding settings? Just curious. 

Is the 960 a powerful enough card to even saturate the buffer to 4GB without running out of horsepower before it can? Would this 4GB card make more sense in a SLI build where the 4GBs can actually be made use of with more demanding settings? Just curious. 

Overcloked both memory and core.

Yes.

Because their cpus are crap and are dragging them down.

That I would agree with but if they don't do something soon their GPU devision will not be able to keep the company afloat

That I would agree with but if they don't do something soon their GPU devision will not be able to keep the company afloat

Whats gonna happen is that someone is gonna buy the gpu division because its their golden goose.

Whats gonna happen is that someone is gonna buy the gpu division because its their golden goose.

Probably but then it will not be AMD anymore and it will probably put them way behind Nvidia by the time they get all of their restructuring done and get back to R&D. If they were smart they would sell off all of their other divisions and keep the GPU devision only and just become a GPU company like Nvidia.

Are the 2GB 760s using 256bit? I honestly have no idea.

Yes, they use a 256-bit bus.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I think it's going to be a 960Ti, with 4GB RAM and 256 bit-bus.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Probably but then it will not be AMD anymore and it will probably put them way behind Nvidia by the time they get all of their restructuring done and get back to R&D. If they were smart they would sell off all of their other divisions and keep the GPU devision only and just become a GPU company like Nvidia.

I agree , they havent been relevant on the cpu market for a while.

I agree , they havent been relevant on the cpu market for a while.

Yea they haven't but they have to do something or else they are going to sink. Thats why I strongly believe that in Q2 when the 300 series launches AMD is going to try and undercut Nvidia to increase revenue and Nvidia will react with their own price cuts and once that happens the price wars will be on. It will be amazing for all of us especially if we can get high end flagship cards like the GTX 980 and the rumored R9 380x for under $450 and 970's and their counterpart for sub $300, but at the same time will be the finishing blow to AMD that will force them to either sell everything or sell part of their company. 

The proof is here in front of us right now just look at how badly AMD is undercutting Nvidia on their 200 series right now.

Nvidia please just stop trying to be like Ubisoft and Comcast.  Stop trying to join the ranks of the most hated companies.  First the GTX 970 issue and then releasing cards that are disappointing and not needed.  Uggghhhh!  Gosh I wish AMD had PhysX instead.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Better amd options:

270x > GTX 660

280  > GTX 760 , GTX 980 

The prices you are comparing are in flux constantly at the moment. The R9 295X2 varies massively between £500 and £1100. That still leaves its cheapest price equal to two 970s. The cheapest 290X is also £280 from what I can see, which is identical to the GTX 970.

GTX 960 cost seems to be around £160, which places it more or less in the middle of the spread of 280 prices.

The only price to performance that stands out on Nvidia's end is the 980 which is completely absurd. But then it only costs what a 290X used to cost before Maxwell anyway.

Nvidia please just stop trying to be like Ubisoft and Comcast.  Stop trying to join the ranks of the most hated companies.  First the GTX 970 issue and then releasing cards that are disappointing and not needed.  Uggghhhh!  Gosh I wish AMD had PhysX instead.

Every card has its place in the gaming world. Not everyone has $330+ to drop on a GPU. The 960 as underwhelming as it seems is actually a really nice card for those who want a gaming pc on a very tight budget. The only reason it doesn't seem like that big of a value is because of AMD loosing so much money that in order to try and obtain a larger market share is way undercutting the price of their own products. I would bet if AMD wasn't trying to do this that the 960 would probably be one of the cheapest GPU's right now.