290x, Deal or No Deal.

Hello all,

As much as it pains me to start a topic, I need some advice. 

I have been looking to upgrade from my old GPU (660), to a r9 290/x. The plan is to water cool it. 

I have found a very interesting deal on a 290x (175 GBP, 230 Euro, 262 USD) on eBay, the seller has a good reputation and claims the card is unused. However AMD cards did go through a mining phase, which makes me hesitant as to its origins and use history, has to been damaged, etc etc (And also eBay just being eBay)

What are your thoughts, worth going for it? too risky? Is it worth waiting for the 3xx series and hope for a price drop on retail sales of the 290x? 

Thanks in advance guys, 

Nup. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

If i had to wager money i would definitely put it on that is a former mining card 

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

No unopened box? No deal. It's from the right time period, its missing the box, and the seller refers to it as a motherboard (?) so might be trying to target nontech savy? (possibly?)

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

'New and unused'.... comes with no box. Well how is that unused then? That seems very fishy to me.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Right, the verdict seem pretty clear, thanks guys :) 

@Frankie, as am I, I have very little experience with eBay, so i figured that it was worth asking around. 

Right, the verdict seem pretty clear, thanks guys :)

@Frankie, as am I, I have very little experience with eBay, so i figured that it was worth asking around. 

I believe the fact that sometimes you can catch a pretty good deal on sites like eBay and similar, but I would not go for anything electronics related (Maybe if it was really cheap :D )

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

As far as I am concerned. The AMD cards are always a no-no to buy used due to possible Mining.

A friend of mine bought a Miner's card that was 'somewhat used' that gave him some artifacts while gaming.

Stick with the NVIDIA mate, at least you know it won't have been raped. I'd look around and get another GTX 660 and SLI.

Not sure on the exchange rate but I bought another MSI GTX 660 Gaming (this one with Samsung memory) for only £100 + £10 shipping, she is still running strong.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

'New and unused'.... comes with no box. Well how is that unused then? That seems very fishy to me.

Exactly, it could as well be a 280 and you won't be able to tell the difference until it's too late. Good luck making a claim to ebay and trying to explain to them the difference between two identical looking cards.

Besides, the reference 290X sucks anyway. You'll be better off with a non-reference 290 for just two or three moar bucks.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Exactly, it could as well be a 280 and you won't be able to tell the difference until it's too late. Good luck making a claim to ebay and trying to explain to them the difference between two identical looking cards.

Besides, the reference 290X sucks anyway. You'll be better off with a non-reference 290 for just two or three moar bucks.

You would be able to tell, they have labels on them with the model on them. :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You would be able to tell, they have labels on them with the model on them. :Pt

Yes, but they're not visible on the photos that are shown on the page. Only way to know for sure is to buy.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Well, I hate to break it to you, it it sure doesn't sound like un-used, but if your ever wary, just remember that eBay has buyer protection, so if he sends u a crap card you can always get your money back

I've actually bought three AMD cards used, all of which were most likely used for mining.

I bought two 7950s plus a Gigabyte R9 290. One of the 7950s arrived with damaged fans which were exhibiting clicking noise and were too loud in general. I replaced the fans for $20 from ebay. The 7950 with defective fans overclocks like a monster. The other 7950 arrived in its original box with very little signs of ware. Finally the R9 290 was epic. It's the best overclocking R9 290 out of all the R9 290s that my friends own.

I've had no stability or heating issues with any of the cards. The 7950 with defective fans I believe was actually damaged in shipping rather than mining abuse. The card was brought in from abroad by a friend who packed it without the box in his suitcase. The fans probably took a few hits which is why they started clicking.

A new 290 can be found for around 270 dollars i think. It would probably be best to not risk it and get a new 290 and oc it

Right, seem pretty clear then :P thanks a million! :D  

Do you guys think that a 290 is worth getting compared to a 290x?, i realise that with a good OC it's more or less the same, but thats not guaranteed. 

Hello all,

As much as it pains me to start a topic, I need some advice.

I have been looking to upgrade from my old GPU (660), to a r9 290/x. The plan is to water cool it.

I have found a very interesting deal on a 290x (175 GBP, 230 Euro, 262 USD) on eBay, the seller has a good reputation and claims the card is unused. However AMD cards did go through a mining phase, which makes me hesitant as to its origins and use history, has to been damaged, etc etc (And also eBay just being eBay)

What are your thoughts, worth going for it? too risky? Is it worth waiting for the 3xx series and hope for a price drop on retail sales of the 290x?

Thanks in advance guys,

Nup.

Fyi

290 and 290x has litte difference

If i were you

Ill go for a 970 and water cool it later when i get more $$$

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

Fyi

If i were you

Pointless. If the difference between the 290 and the 290X is extremely small, the difference between the 290X and the 970 is even smaller. In fact, the 290X outperforms the 970 in many games. Except 4K, which is where the 970 does do a lot better. But still, the difference in price is everything but subtle.

Fyi

If i were you

Personally id don't think the 970 needs the water cooling, its a really efficient card! So if i were to buy a Nvidia solution i would most likely save a little more with the water cooling money and buy a 980 :) 

And there are deals for 290/x that really give great performance per dollar, which is why these cards are so intriguing to me!