Is the asus m5a97 @ $50 worth using with a 8320 @$70?

Hi,

The asus m5a97 Motherboard is brand new in the box at $50 and the 8320 is brand new at $70? I know there is a asus m5a97 2.0 and LE 2.0 but is the asus m5a97 still ok to use?

Thanks

That's not a bad deal. Where are you getting them from?

And the M5A97 and FX8320 is a decent combo. Not the best but for $130 ... I'd say it's good.

Thanks for the fast reply Harry. I found a few people who were selling them on Craigslist. 

So long as you don't want to pair this CPU with an high end GPU (R9 290, GTX 780, R9 290X, GTX 970 or better) chances are you'll enjoy it...and also as long as you are not a big MMO's fan in which case a core i3 would be much more appropriate.

The prices for the parts are very good so if you are very tight on cash it can be a good move...but if you can afford an i5-4460 and a cheap H97 motherboard that's what i would suggest instead.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

So long as you don't want to pair this CPU with an high end GPU (R9 290, GTX 780, R9 290X, GTX 970 or better) chances are you'll enjoy it...and also as long as you are not a big MMO's fan in which case a core i3 would be much more appropriate.

The prices for the parts are very good so if you are very tight on cash it can be a good move...but if you can afford an i5-4460 and a cheap H97 motherboard that's what i would suggest instead.

This is your answer

I have the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 and a FX6350 and its a super decent combo if you ask, not the best but if you can get something like that or better for $130 go for it, the motherboard by itself is super decent at that price point, i have borrowed a friend of mine his EVGA 970 SC and the frames in the games just dropped about 3 or 4 frames overall (and that is because he has a 4690k and i have a 6350) 

Very good MB in my opinion

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

OK I am curious what is the approx cost of i3 and MB and the cost of i5 and MB? maybe I will just fork out the cash?

Do you think R9 290 would bottle Neck this CPU?

Do you think R9 290 would bottle Neck this CPU?

Yes, the FX8 will bottleneck an R9 290.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yes, the FX8 will bottleneck an R9 290.

Depends on the game.  

Most of the time, you won't even begin to touch a bottleneck until you're well past 60 FPS.  

Unless you're running a 120 Hz Monitor, you don't really have a reason to care.  

it's not like he'll be stuck at 40 FPS.  He'll have well over 60 FPS in most everything that isn't an MMO or extremely unoptimized game like Arma 3.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

OK I am curious what is the approx cost of i3 and MB and the cost of i5 and MB? maybe I will just fork out the cash?

i3 and motherboard:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($104.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $171.87

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-23 20:42 EST-0500

i5 and motherboard:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.97 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $246.96

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-23 20:42 EST-0500

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'd just get the FX and call it a day. Use the save money and wait to see what amd and intel bring with zen, skybridge and cannonlake

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

The guy with the fx 8320 flaked and then called an hour later to say he was on the way. I said forget it and the Motherboard was not brand new or the model the other seller said. So I ended up finding a barely used i5 4440 and new Z87-G41 on sale at Frys. I hate buying from the internet in case I want to exchange the item.

i5 4440 = $120

Z87-G41 = 109.99 - 30 rebate = $79.99

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zztzNG

At stock speed the i5 4440 did very well in BF4 I was at Ultra no Alias averaging around 85 to 90 FPS in 64/64 game. Actually I will say that my Phenom II X4 960T was holding its own @ 4.0GHz but I can tell a very nice difference when using the i5 @ 3.1. I think if I up my R9 270 OC to a 280x or 290x I would see a big difference with the i5 where as the Phenom would most likely be bottle necked. 

So I am a fan of both CPUs but the Intel won today because it seemed to be in my budget. I am still wondering how the 8320 would have worked but I know I am good with this build for a while so no worries.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Hi,

The asus m5a97 Motherboard is brand new in the box at $50 and the 8320 is brand new at $70? I know there is a asus m5a97 2.0 and LE 2.0 but is the asus m5a97 still ok to use?

Thanks

You can pair this with a 970 the most

Which if your going to get a 980

Ull probaby be spending more thus you can get a better cpu

but amd fx6300 and onwards are pretty much fine and easy to overclock

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

You can pair this with a 970 the most

Which if your going to get a 980

Ull probaby be spending more thus you can get a better cpu

but amd fx6300 and onwards are pretty much fine and easy to overclock

Thanks for the great info!

Thanks for the great info!

8320 paired with 280 is best

970 might get bottlenecked

290 is better anyways cos of thevram

So if yr spendung 1000 on pc

Get i5 and 290

For 800

Get fx 8350 (oc it)

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

blah blah blah

Get fx 8350 (oc it)

FX-8350 is never worth it, anything above the FX-8320 is not worth it because they are all the same chips at different clockspeed...just save yourself the money and get the cheapest 4 module FX available (FX-8320) and overclock it to your desired settings by yourself...no need to pay AMD big bucks to do the tweaking you can do in less than 30 minutes.

Also yes even an highly overclocked FX8 chip will still limit the performance of higher-end GPU's in many games (GTX 780 or R9 290 or anything better GPU wise) therefore the max i'd recommend for 1080p gaming on the AMD FX would be an R9 280 or R9 280X GPU...more than that and you'll have the GPU sitting there waiting for the CPU to shake it's nuts in a lot of situations which sucks when you have a 400$+ graphics card sitting in there. (learned this the hard way myself)