Lowest recommended CPU for an SSD.

KemoKa
Go to solution Solved by Psykomantis00,

That's not really how that works. 

I have a friend who has asked me for help getting him a new computer. He's never had a computer before, and he's really asking to go super-cheap on this one (we're talking on the order of ¥5000) and while I can certainly help him on that, this got me thinking:

What's the lowest CPU that you would recommend using an SSD with?

I know that some people use a SATA III SSD on older SATA II interfaces and that it still makes for a nice boost in snappiness despite the bottleneck, but I've also had a laptop with a SATA III interface that had an AMD E-350 which just wasn't powerful enough to take advantage of my SSD (we're talking zero noticeable performance increase), which is why I have my A10 laptop now. But then there are the single-core Celeron processors in the low-end NUCs, and those have to use SSDs, which implies that they're designed to be reasonably zippy on an SSD.

Now don't take this the wrong way, I'm not just going to go out with him and grab an SSD for him, this is just out of curiosity based on him asking me for help.

doesnt matter, its a substantial upgrade in almost every system. A friend of mine put it into a core 2 duo laptop with sata2 interface and he said he had noticeable speed increase. Then again, its not that great of a deal when the pc costs less than the ssd :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

SNIP

Even on a basic pentium I notice a substantial performance upgrade

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That's not really how that works. 

Was for me when I did it. Then again... Brazos...

Really any relatively new CPUs will benefit from it

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I have upgraded E series processor laptops at work and had massive increases in performance

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have upgraded E series processor laptops at work and had massive increases in performance

Funny... Must have just been something dodgy with that particular laptop. I didn't get anything on that laptop. It was okay for a while doing what I did on it (word, surfing, etc) but then I found some friends who helped me become a proper PC enthusiast. I grabbed an SSD as soon as I had enough money from my job, first thing I ever bought online, and... nothing happened. It still took ages to load. Weird.

Nowadays, I'm stressing my laptop way too much with Handbrake and the like, that's why I made sure it was moderately powerful this time. The SSD turned that laptop magical.

I have to agree with most the comments here.  When I bought all new hardware, My SSD was at the local amazon warehouse (the rest wasn't) and was at my house first.. I noticed it was a GREAT increase in my performance with a Screwed up CPU and Mobo

Old Specs were: CPU- AMD Anthlon X2 5000+ 2.4Ghz Dual-core, Some crappy foxconn Mobo, EVGA 550ti, 600W psu, etc

And the HDD was still good, Actually still use it for my music storage and some steam games (Rest are on my Terra, and 2 or 3 on SSD)

Check out my rig on my profile, Here!

Phone: Note 4 (32GB, White, 64GB "Mobile Ultra" mSD); Back-up Note 3 (32GB, Black)

Check out my internet speed, HERE!!!!!1!!!

"Lowest recommended CPU for an SSD." This is what I was referring to. 

Well. cheers, everyone, for the clarifications. :D You guys are why I love this forum so much. I can ask questions for clarification and get proper answers.

Wish I could make everyone's answer the best answer (as they all are, really) so I'll just throw it up for grabs. First one to claim dibs gets their answer posted as Best Answer.

GO FORTH!

I have a friend who has asked me for help getting him a new computer. He's never had a computer before, and he's really asking to go super-cheap on this one (we're talking on the order of ¥5000) and while I can certainly help him on that, this got me thinking:

What's the lowest CPU that you would recommend using an SSD with?

I know that some people use a SATA III SSD on older SATA II interfaces and that it still makes for a nice boost in snappiness despite the bottleneck, but I've also had a laptop with a SATA III interface that had an AMD E-350 which just wasn't powerful enough to take advantage of my SSD (we're talking zero noticeable performance increase), which is why I have my A10 laptop now. But then there are the single-core Celeron processors in the low-end NUCs, and those have to use SSDs, which implies that they're designed to be reasonably zippy on an SSD.

Now don't take this the wrong way, I'm not just going to go out with him and grab an SSD for him, this is just out of curiosity based on him asking me for help.

Im planning to buy a ssd for my laptop (2x1.4ghz pentium...........) and will be hoping for god thatll stop the win7 from lagging around...

i do believe a ssd is an upgrade in most cases at least, if its not a processor from 2010 or earlier id say.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Pentium 3

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1