Recommendations for PORTABLE Headphones

izt_is

Hey guys,

So recently just decided I want to get a pair of portable headphones for convenience when I don't want to constantly remove my IE80s from my ear when I have to talk to someone. 

Hoping to buy a pair off Amazon UK in the next day or so. 

Budget: USD $400; I am looking for audiophile grade portable headphones

What I am Looking for:

- A "fun" sound similar to that of the Sennheiser IE80s that have deep strong and clean bass that is worth for EDM and Rock/Indie/Pop; I believe it has a v-shaped curve

- Portable

- UNSURE if I want over-ear or on-ear - Want your opinion on this!

- UNSURE if I should go for noise cancelling ones which might be helpful when I'm travelling on a plane; But I guess I can just turn up the headphones - Want your opinion on this!

- Headphones must be able to play directly from my iPhone 6 or iPad without the need for amplification

I don't have many ideas at the moment but this comes to mind: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 

Beats by Dre is obviously NO GO.

Unsure about Bose, happy to go for Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic, but open to all brands that give me what I am looking for.

Appreciate all the help and opinions!

Thanks a million!

Audio Technica ATH-M40x, Sony MDR-1R, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, NAD VISIO HP50.

And finally, my top pick for best audiopeel portable headphone:

Beats by Dre Solo 2

Thanks guys.

So far I'm looking at

1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  2. VModa M-100

Not looking at the Sony MDR 1 as I heard their bass ain't all that great :P

Keep the recommendations coming!

Thanks guys.

So far I'm looking at

1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  2. VModa M-100

Not looking at the Sony MDR 1 as I heard their bass ain't all that great :P

Keep the recommendations coming!

If going for bass, go with one of SSL's reference, the NAD Visio. Haven't tried it personally, but all the reviews say it got crazy bass (amount, not necessarily quality) in its class. 

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Ah, ah! The M50 is old and overpriced, while the M50x is just overpriced. If you go with an AT can, get the M40x, which is the same headphone as the M50x for what the M50x should cost. M50x suffers from prestige pricing.

If going for bass, go with one of SSL's reference, the NAD Visio. Haven't tried it personally, but all the reviews say it got crazy bass (amount, not necessarily quality) in its class. 

Thanks. I like bass but I am not willing to compromise more bass for lower quality punch clean bass. 

Are IEM's out of the question?

Yes. I already have IE80s which are IEMs. I specifically am looking for portable headphones now, which have a similar sound signature to my IE80s. Thanks!

I do like the HP50. PSB M4U sounds nearly the same (same guy designed them) but has some design tweaks. Personally thought the HP50 was more comfortable, because I didn't like the PSB's folding mechanism, but plenty of people think the HP50's headband is too narrow.

Sennheiser is launching the 2.0 momentum series soon. Check Linus's channel for that CES video. Momentums aren't as bassy compared to the above two but they're described by many as "fun" because the bass is still nice and punchy.

I do like the HP50. PSB M4U sounds nearly the same (same guy designed them) but has some design tweaks. Personally thought the HP50 was more comfortable, because I didn't like the PSB's folding mechanism, but plenty of people think the HP50's headband is too narrow.

Sennheiser is launching the 2.0 momentum series soon. Check Linus's channel for that CES video. Momentums aren't as bassy compared to the above two but they're described by many as "fun" because the bass is still nice and punchy.

The laid back mids and highs mean you can (or rather need to) crank up the volume to enjoy the vocal on momentum. At that point, the bass sounds good, boomy and the extension is what I'd call great for a pair of portable closed 

What is the release date for Sennheiser's Momentum 2.0?

Thanks

Sennheiser's Momentum 2.0?

hands down get these, i freaking love my momentums, just a shame they dont fold, i normally carry them by hanging them off my backpack/camera bag

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What is the release date for Sennheiser's Momentum 2.0?

Thanks

I don't think official dates have been announced. The previous gen is still good, I just assumed you'd dig the hinges and bigger cup of the over ear. Might be able to get deals though with new versions around the corner. Headphones always go on sale when aNew version is about to come out as vendors try to make room for new stock. On-Ear already had some $100 sales, but in sure there will be more.

No.

Meh for the money and under budget.

Wow why so much negativity for these? I was actually considering them :P

How are the  VModa M-100?

I don't know if I can wait for the Momentum 2.0...and don't really want the original ones...the bass is not quite what I am looking for.

The Sennhiser Urbanites are said to have terrific bass. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

How are the  VModa M-100?

I don't know if I can wait for the Momentum 2.0...and don't really want the original ones...the bass is not quite what I am looking for.

Because M50 series are overpriced for what it's worth.

Then consider the M40x, not the old and overpriced M50 or the new and even more overpriced M50x.

See, product SKUs usually go something like this:

Increasing $ --->

<===Shit ===><==Value==><============Overpriced Shit===============>