Does your school give you tablets/laptops or do you have to buy one yourself?

melias24

Hey guys, my school is lacking behind like in every other school, and for $5250 a year it's a shit school. Anyway, does your school require you to buy your own tablet/laptop, or do they supply them to you? Or do you even get a laptop/tablet at your school?

We get laptops with core i5's from like 2010, and i'm not even joking they take 10 minutes to boot. These laptops that they give us, we aren't even aloud to take home, they are in school only. I reckon i'd just pull it to bits if i took it home. Anyway what about your school? Do you have to buy the device yourself, do you get given it or do you not even get one at all?
¬Elias

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Universitys don't care if you have a computer or not.

You either buy one, or you use one at the library. They don't hand out laptops.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I go to an online school that's all like "yo dawg, yall should come in once a week".

So i do, and they have macs. Which is a pain but i just bring my mouse. If i had a 60% keyboard i would too.

I think my university takes part in the Apple education deal, but they don't give a toss what you use to take notes.  For that matter they don't really care if you attend; they already have your money.  

But I have a Lenovo laptop, for many reasons.  And I did have to buy it.. which doesn't matter too much to me.  I've never been given a computer from any school; except using my high school's Compaq Presarios with Pentium 4s in.. well far beyond when that was a thing to do.

nah i'll wait, they already gave us Office 365 for free and i heard they are giving Lenovo Yoga i5s to students soon.

I'm paying for my degree at college, (computing) so we have PCs to use. They're fairly crappy, but a lot of us use personal laptops. 

Schools in Victoria have the option, some have loan/assigned laptops, others rent them out while some have internal shops that sell them.  Most schools have class sets that students can use.  It is common to get a laptop through the school in secondary in Victoria.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Can't answer the poll, but I can rent laptops at my School(small college). For 2 days its free, for a week its $5(w/ library card), and for a month its $15(w/ library card). We get a choice between Dell Latitude e6420's and 6520's, so they are a little out dated but still great computers. I've never had to rent one so I don't know the specs, but I assume they probably have a i3 with 4Gb of ram and some form of HDD(probably 250Gb 5400 rpm, since that was the base model for Latitudes at the time). I can use my own computer though, so its pretty cool.

We buy our own, but we get a good discount on a couple of laptops from our school.

Cpu: FX8350 MoboGigabyte GA.990FXA-UD3  GPU: EVGA GTX770 2GB  RAM: 8GB Crucial ballistix tactical tracer  STORAGE: Crucial M500 240GB /seagate barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair RM750  CASE: Xigmatek Talon  COOLING: Corsair H100i KEYBOARD: Quickfire TK KEYPAD: Razer Nostromo MOUSE: Razer Naga 2012  HEADSET: Tritton pro+

I don't get one, I work on the PC there.

I don't necessarily have to get a PC, but it would be advised to do some schoolwork on  

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/