AiO cooled GPUs and the lack thereof

With the recent emergence of GPU waterblocks for AiO watercoolers, I wondered why pre AiO-Cooled GPUs are so rare. 

The only recent example I can think of is the R9 295x2.

But why? With technology like GPU Boost, there is a tangible benefit to really keeping your cards as cool as possible, not to mention the noise factor. 

While my CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D15, I can totally see myself buying a card with an included AiO cooling solution, again, because of the tangible benefit to performance and noise and because strapping a NH-D15 to my GPU is not reeeally feasible.

1. It's significantly more expensive

2. Air coolers are often quieter and more reliable

3. A lot of people don't want water in their system

4. You need to have space for the rad which is a problem for some people

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Gigabyte had a triple watercooling GPU setup, complete with a stick (I shit you not) so your case won't collapse under the weight of rads.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

There is the GTX 980 Hydro Copper

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

There is the GTX 980 Hydro Copper

That's just a card with a pre-installed waterblock, not AIO cooling solution.

How not? It's using an AIO cooler, straight from the factory

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

How not? It's using an AIO cooler, straight from the factory

Are you talking about this card or something else?

Are you talking about this card or something else?

Something else,

http://youtu.be/XiyO5XQhDJQ?t=3m

Gigabyte had a triple watercooling GPU setup, complete with a stick (I shit you not) so your case won't collapse under the weight of rads.

Actually that's for card sag, not your case falling apart...

1. It's significantly more expensive

2. Air coolers are often quieter and more reliable

3. A lot of people don't want water in their system

4. You need to have space for the rad which is a problem for some people

I do get the drawbacks.

I also don't think, that this is a mainstream solution. But between all these thirdparty solutions and like dozens of different air coolers from manufacturers like EVGA alone, you'd think someone would try something special.

The Water Force, exactly.

I was more wondering about something less ludicrous.

Back in the day of the  9800 gt there were even aio gpu watercoolers so the idea is not new.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/industry/2008/06/13/zotac-unleashes-water-cooled-geforce-9800-gtx-graphics-card/1

Yeah, exactly that. 

So I guess it really is EVGA doing something different with the highend card. 

Actually that's for card sag, not your case falling apart...

Wow, it really is. I guess somebody should tell Gigabyte that backplates exist.

Maybe it costs too much.

you know, unlike the freaking suitcase the water force is sold in.

Just do the G10 mod, its amazing and inexpensive.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Wow, it really is. I guess somebody should tell Gigabyte that backplates exist.

Backplates don't always fix sag lol.

Plenty of people have cards with backplates that still sag, one of my 970 G1's sags & the other doesn't, despite me spending countless time adjusting them trying to make it so one doesn't sag :/

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Backplates don't always fix sag lol.

Plenty of people have cards with backplates that still sag, one of my 970 G1's sags & the other doesn't, despite me spending countless time adjusting them trying to make it so one doesn't sag :/

True, but if they're made properly they reduce it greatly.

An AIO would ruin case compatibility for a lot of people in addition to most not wanting them in their case, it's also not necessary for modern Nvidia cards as their heat output is much lower than the 290/290x/295x2 thus not needing to be watercooled to reach high overclocks. There's also the additional price that a lot of people wouldn't want to pay and the addition of more failure points that could potentially damage not just the GPu but other system components too. There have been AIO factory cards before, there was a PNY AIO cooled GTX 580.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

EVGA is also coming out with a 980 with pre-installed AIO, just saying.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Yep, and I really hope it meets the sales expectations

Just do the G10 mod, its amazing and inexpensive.

I am really happy that these mods exist. I have no issue ripping off a GPU cooler. 

But there are issues with these types of coolers.

You do need a reference card. Not only the reference PCB but also the fan from the blower cooler. 

That's something that has to be kept in mind when initialy purchasing the GPU. I'm not sure everyone does that.

But these aftermarket AiO GPU cooling solutions were not my initial question.

An AIO would ruin case compatibility for a lot of people in addition to most not wanting them in their case, it's also not necessary for modern Nvidia cards as their heat output is much lower than the 290/290x/295x2 thus not needing to be watercooled to reach high overclocks. There's also the additional price that a lot of people wouldn't want to pay and the addition of more failure points that could potentially damage not just the GPu but other system components too. There have been AIO factory cards before, there was a PNY AIO cooled GTX 580.

Yeah, these drawbacks are a big issue. 

But I don't really see your point with the current cards. There is a tangible performance boost to be had with better cooling. Now, I do know, that the better performance is paid with a non proportional price premium, but that's where the other benefit of the AiO comes in. Potentially way better accustics. And the "potentially" is the operative word here. With coolers like we have on the STRIX cards for example, do we actually need these exotic solutions, considering that actually GPU cooling is only used under load?

Does the fan noise even bother us at that point.

Which brings me to the previous cards to use this kind of solution. Did they make sense? Did they sell well enough to warrant them?

@stuka06

"I am really happy that these mods exist. I have no issue ripping off a GPU cooler. 

But there are issues with these types of coolers.

You do need a reference card. Not only the reference PCB but also the fan from the blower cooler. 

That's something that has to be kept in mind when initialy purchasing the GPU. I'm not sure everyone does that.

But these aftermarket AiO GPU cooling solutions were not my initial question."

Actually, the G10 isn't bound by those parameters, that is the Corsair HG10 where you HAVE to buy the reference design card, and it is card specific.  The NZXT G10 allows you to mount the AIO to any GPU, as long as it is a reference PCB, and actually in some cases, even if it is not a reference PCB, it still works.  It is also usable on a wide variety of cards, for instance, a lot of people with 700 series GPUs had the G10 mounted, and once the 900 series was available, they were able to easily move the G10 to their new 900 series GPU without issue.  You cannot do this with the HG10 as it is card specific, if you buy it for the GTX780, that is the only card you will be using the HG10 with, and of course, it must be a true reference card with a blower style fan.

Just wanted to clear that up even if it wasn't your initial question.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Actually, the G10 isn't bound by those parameters, that is the Corsair HG10 where you HAVE to buy the reference design card, and it is card specific.  The NZXT G10 allows you to mount the AIO to any GPU, as long as it is a reference PCB, and actually in some cases, even if it is not a reference PCB, it still works.  It is also usable on a wide variety of cards, for instance, a lot of people with 700 series GPUs had the G10 mounted, and once the 900 series was available, they were able to easily move the G10 to their new 900 series GPU without issue.  You cannot do this with the HG10 as it is card specific, if you buy it for the GTX780, that is the only card you will be using the HG10 with, and of course, it must be a true reference card with a blower style fan.

Just wanted to clear that up even if it wasn't your initial question.

Ah, thank you. That is actually very good to know :)

Yes, but it is not Hydro Copper.

Yes, but it is not Hydro Copper.

Correct, but if you look at the

, the sign in front of the card he mentioned also called it the GTX 980 Hydro Copper.

I was unable to find any other product name for this model, so I guess the confusion is justifiable.