The future is bleak, give up.

Syntaxvgm

Tell mankind something  is impossible and they will do it. B)

world peace. 

Drive a hybrid without being smug about it. 

Think of a new color. 

Your move. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

For this reason, NA and Europe are the greatest gaming zones in the world.  And "Straya" is a black hole of latency.  Unfortunately for them, there are probably not enough of them to field their own robust player bases.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

world peace. 

Drive a hybrid without being smug about it. 

Think of a new color. 

Your move. 

:lol:

All still possible for mankind, I say. Will just take some time. :P

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

heres hoping we figure out how quantum entanglement works so we can possibly have literally instant communication

Laws of physics deny that.

Now, a forewarning, this math is really rough, mostly from the top of my head. It's not meant to be exact, just make a point

The circumference of the earth at its widest point (it's not perfectly round) is around 24,900 miles. 

The speed of light is 186,282.39 mi/s in a vacuum. 

186,282.39/24900  approx = 7.481

That means light can travel around the earth around 7 and a half times a second. 

1000 / 7.481 = 133.66

That means it take 133 milliseconds for light to go around the earth once. 

So given there were no switches, no impedance, no interference of any kind, it would take 133 milliseconds for a signal to travel back and forth between the two furthest points on the earth. (One ping)

In best case scenario, no matter how great technology may become, you will NEVER be able to try to shoot people online lag free. 

Give up. The future is bleak. 

No matter how much some things improve, some things will always be shitty. It's physics. 

This post brings me so much satisfaction..... (:

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Two words. Portal Gun.

iXYA1md.jpg

(i dont know what lag it would have though)

run a crossover cable through a portal? Genius 

How gaben transfers files I assume. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Do you really need an 8 core CPU and quad 980s? Hell no! Do you want it? Hell yah! 

Speak for yourself. Some of us actually use our hardware in production apps. Faster hardware=faster turnaround time=more artist iterations=better looking CG for less=more money

You will never live to see a day where you don't have to worry about latency.

Doesn't that keep you up at night? 

Nah, this forum as a whole does.

Speak for yourself. Some of us actually use our hardware in production apps. Faster hardware=faster turnaround time=more artist iterations=better looking CG for less=more money

Some do.

But some watch anime on a quad gpu setup xD

muh specs 

All parts black

Either i am dumb or just dumb cause i didn't understand anything 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I'll just take a moment to say I wish games like Cs:GO would auto-kick people with a ping over 100 and not let them connect to servers in comp with that ping.

See above ^^^^

that was total posted as i was typing.

Travis

Fibre cable through the centre of the earth. Much shorter that way.

May your framertes be high and your remperatures low.

Fibre cable through the centre of the earth. Much shorter that way.

you were beat to the punch xD

muh specs 

All parts black

you were beat to the punch xD

Aww. Reading on mobile, accidentally missed it. Brb switching to bigger screen.

There is a limit to this stuff. Developments described by Moore's Law for example are basically limited by the speed of light and the atomic nature of matter. There is a point at which computers cannot get any faster without new breakthroughs in physics. At time of writing it's been estimated that we'll reach that limit in about fifty years.

Theoretical physics is one thing but bringing that stuff into physical reality is another.

Either i am dumb or just dumb cause i didn't understand anything 

Err...dude? I think that's the other thread...http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/294007-how-intelligent-are-you-in-general-be-honest/ :nodding:

j/k ;0)

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

There is a limit to this stuff. Developments described by Moore's Law for example are basically limited by the speed of light and the atomic nature of matter. There is a point at which computers cannot get any faster without new breakthroughs in physics. At time of writing it's been estimated that we'll reach that limit in about fifty years.

Theoretical physics is one thing but bringing that stuff into physical reality is another.

That's why I like murpheys law- not bound by the laws of physics. 

muh specs 

All parts black

That's why I like murpheys law- not bound by the laws of physics. 

Oh but you see it is...murphy's law is another interpretation of the law of diminished returns.

;0)

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Just perform several china syndrome melts around the globe and run fibre though the holes. Reduce the lag to 133/π ms

Just going to say we don't use vacuums to transport data. Fiber(glass) has a speed of light of 66.67% that of a vacuum and copper ranges from 40%-70%.

Just going to say we don't use vacuums to transport data. Fiber(glass) has a speed of light of 66.67% that of a vacuum and copper ranges from 40%-70%.

absolute best case scenario and rough math is what this is. If we found a truly optimal way to transfer data at the true speed of light, even with no interruptions, will still have latency is the point. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Now, a forewarning, this math is really rough, mostly from the top of my head. It's not meant to be exact, just make a point

The circumference of the earth at its widest point (it's not perfectly round) is around 24,900 miles. 

The speed of light is 186,282.39 mi/s in a vacuum. 

186,282.39/24900  approx = 7.481

That means light can travel around the earth around 7 and a half times a second. 

1000 / 7.481 = 133.66

That means it take 133 milliseconds for light to go around the earth once. 

So given there were no switches, no impedance, no interference of any kind, it would take 133 milliseconds for a signal to travel back and forth between the two furthest points on the earth. (One ping)

In best case scenario, no matter how great technology may become, you will NEVER be able to try to shoot people online lag free. 

Give up. The future is bleak. 

No matter how much some things improve, some things will always be shitty. It's physics. 

Erm math error. That is 133ms to make a full loop around the earth's circumference from point 'A' back to point 'A' in one hop. For the two furthest points on earth you would take that number and divide by 2 for half a circumference. 

So your maximum latency should be ~66.5ms in one hop.  :P

Not bad. Until we find a way to send data faster than light (string theory/quantum/modern physics).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Erm math error. That is 133ms to make a full loop around the earth's circumference from point 'A' back to point 'A' in one hop. For the two furthest points on earth you would take that number and divide by 2 for half a circumference. 

So your maximum latency should be ~66.5ms in one hop.  :P

Not bad. Until we find a way to send data faster than light (string theory/quantum/modern physics).

But a ping has to go there and back so circumference of the earth devided by two times two. Thats how latency is measured. Your calculation would be valid for data transmission or something, but that would have other bottlenecks.