What to use a spare tablet for

Hecknologist
Go to solution Solved by omniomi,

I use a spare Google Nexus 7 as a media remote for my Chromecasts... I setup a separate Google account for it and keep a Google Play balance on it for renting movies and buying shows; It also has Netflix, CrunchyRoll, Plex, etc installed. It just sits on the coffee table unlocked and anyone is welcome to use it to stream to the TV without seeing any confidential emails or Facebook or anything since it and its Google account aren't used for anything else and using a balance instead of credit card on it limits spending.

So I have acquired a hand-me-down samsung tab 2 7" tablet and have no use for it (I have shield tablet, brother has S pro 8.4, mum has dell venue 8) so I want to use it for a project. I was thinking I could use it for an xbmc client for the main tv to stream from the NAS or a freeNAS readout screen.

What should I do with it, or what would you use it for?

What should I do with it, or what would you use it for?

Sell it, buy something useful

"Rawr XD"

A coaster

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Sell it, buy something useful

Honestly don't think anyone would buy it, the battery life is pretty bad. It went from full charge to 50% overnight with no background apps.

bedside netflix player

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Honestly, if you don't need it, just sell it. I'm sure you will find a buyer regardless of the battery life if you set it at a good price.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Honestly don't think anyone would buy it, the battery life is pretty bad. It went from full charge to 50% overnight with no background apps.

You'll still get something for it though. which is better then having it sit in a drawer and do nothing. Could put that money towards something more useful. Another case fan, Phantom Glass for your phone, food, whatever

"Rawr XD"

Honestly, if you don't need it, just sell it. I'm sure you will find a buyer regardless of the battery life if you set it at a good price.

If I can't find a good use for it it'll probably end up with a friend who doesn't have a tablet.

If I can't find a good use for it it'll probably end up with a friend who doesn't have a tablet.

That's a good idea, too. :D

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

mount it somewhere and use it to monitor a camera system.

Travis

I use a spare Google Nexus 7 as a media remote for my Chromecasts... I setup a separate Google account for it and keep a Google Play balance on it for renting movies and buying shows; It also has Netflix, CrunchyRoll, Plex, etc installed. It just sits on the coffee table unlocked and anyone is welcome to use it to stream to the TV without seeing any confidential emails or Facebook or anything since it and its Google account aren't used for anything else and using a balance instead of credit card on it limits spending.

I read a guide a few months ago for using an android tablet as a secondary monitor, not sure how easy it would be to do though

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

This is actually a pretty great idea, it's what I would do.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650