MX100 + WD Green, does this make sense?

callmecars
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

okay so like any reasonable person, I want to get the most bang from my (upcoming) system, so in terms of storage solutions here's what I've come up with.

I'm gonna get a 512gb MX100 and a WD Green (not sure how many tb yet)

what I'll do is that I'll install main (like I'll be using constantly) software stuff in MX100 like OS, video editor, etc. and store games and files like videos and photos in the WD Green, then just temporarily transfer files to the MX100 when I'll be using them (like if I'm gonna play games I'll just transfer them and put them back after playing, and transfer videos or photos for when I'll be editing them. not sure about watching thought, will there be any difference from watching movies from an SSD and an HDD?)

so yeah that's basically the plan, hoping to get the most bang for my buck is all it is, would you guys give this a thumbs up? if not what other strategies would you guys recommend?

Hey callmecars,

This looks like a good plan. WD Green is designed as a energy-saving drive for secondary storage and works cool and quiet but still fast enough to play your media and run some games.

Games generally rely on storage only for their loading times (both in-game and initial) and FPS and graphics stay unaffected (they depend on the CPU, RAM and GPU mostly). 

Regarding the movies, it depends on what files or formats you are watching. Pretty much any drive would run a basic DVD rip with no issues. The read speed of almost all drives is more than a regular video format needs to run smoothly. 

Captain_WD.

okay so like any reasonable person, I want to get the most bang from my (upcoming) system, so in terms of storage solutions here's what I've come up with.

what I'll do is that I'll install main (like I'll be using constantly) software stuff in MX100 like OS, video editor, etc. and store games and files like videos and photos in the WD Green, then just temporarily transfer files to the MX100 when I'll be using them (like if I'm gonna play games I'll just transfer them and put them back after playing, and transfer videos or photos for when I'll be editing them. not sure about watching thought, will there be any difference from watching movies from an SSD and an HDD?)

so yeah that's basically the plan, hoping to get the most bang for my buck is all it is, would you guys give this a thumbs up? if not what other strategies would you guys recommend?

Got my thumbs up.

Though I'm not sure if it's worth the time and effort to move the games from ssd to hdd when I'm playing them.

Also watching movies from a ssd makes no sense just watch them from your hdd.

That works, although honestly I prefer a 3TB Seagate Barracuda for this purpose. It's a 7200 RPM drive so data can be accessed and stored faster, and it's about the same price.

That works, although honestly I prefer a 3TB Seagate Barracuda for this purpose. It's a 7200 RPM drive so data can be accessed and stored faster, and it's about the same price.

so the only added benefit of the WD Green would be the silence? which I honestly don't care about anyway.

Seconded. WD Green is too slow even as a secondary for my taste and barracuda is already quiet enough.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I would agree with you since they are on sale right now but even after it goes off sale It is still a good recommendation for mass storage

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

Got my thumbs up.

Though I'm not sure if it's worth the time and effort to move the games from ssd to hdd when I'm playing them.

Also watching movies from a ssd makes no sense just watch them from your hdd.

you mean moving them from HDD to SSD, since playing them from the SSD would make it snappier.

if for example I'd waste 10 mins in loading a games, I'd rather waste it all at the same time in transferring the game to the SSD rather than experiencing slow load times and stuff while playing from the HDD, hope this made some sense haha.

and thanks I just wasn't 100% sure if video watching was affected

Seconded. WD Green is too slow even as a secondary for my taste and barracuda is already quiet enough.

I would agree with you since they are on sale right now but even after it goes off sale It is still a good recommendation for mass storage

A seagate barracuda will be around as quiet as the wd green, cost less, and perform much better. 

thank you all for the unanimous suggestion, I'll definitely get the barracuda then

Programs you install cannot (easily) be picked up and moved from their install location, as Windows stores application paths in the registry. Photos and videos can be moved as often as you like, but as alluded to, there is no point. Your photo and video editing software will benefit from the SSD, but keep media storage on the mechanical drive.

Otherwise, thumbs up from me too on either the MX100 + WD Green or Seagate Barracuda combinations. Agreed that the Barracuda is the better choice if it's cheaper.

Programs you install cannot (easily) be picked up and moved from their install location, as Windows stores application paths in the registry. Photos and videos can be moved as often as you like, but as alluded to, there is no point. Your photo and video editing software will benefit from the SSD, but keep media storage on the mechanical drive.

Otherwise, thumbs up from me too on either the MX100 + WD Green or Seagate Barracuda combinations. Agreed that the Barracuda is the better choice if it's cheaper.

oh okay, so even if the videos I'll be editing will be in the HDD, as long as the video editing software is in the SSD then there won't be any slowing down in the speed of the editing and rendering?

and is there a not so easy way to move games from their install location? I remember in high school, my friend would bring a flashdrive with Battlefield World at War "installed" in it, and he would just transfer the files to the desktops at our schools and we'd be able to play it.

oh okay, so even if the videos I'll be editing will be in the HDD, as long as the video editing software is in the SSD then there won't be any slowing down in the speed of the editing and rendering?

and is there a not so easy way to move games from their install location? I remember in high school, my friend would bring a flashdrive with Battlefield World at War "installed" in it, and he would just transfer the files to the desktops at our schools and we'd be able to play it.

With a 512gb SSD it'd probably be more beneficial to just keep games that you play often on the SSD purely for the fact that its a huge hassle to move applications, like others have said.

Hey callmecars,

This looks like a good plan. WD Green is designed as a energy-saving drive for secondary storage and works cool and quiet but still fast enough to play your media and run some games.

Games generally rely on storage only for their loading times (both in-game and initial) and FPS and graphics stay unaffected (they depend on the CPU, RAM and GPU mostly). 

Regarding the movies, it depends on what files or formats you are watching. Pretty much any drive would run a basic DVD rip with no issues. The read speed of almost all drives is more than a regular video format needs to run smoothly. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

With a 512gb SSD it'd probably be more beneficial to just keep games that you play often on the SSD purely for the fact that its a huge hassle to move applications, like others have said.

well I guess I'll have to see when I get it. I read that filling up an SSD would slow it down, so I just thought to free up its space as much as I can. But yeah, I'll probably have like one game at a time installed at the SSD itself so that there won't be any hassle, and I'll just stock up on games that I might play in the HDD hehe.

Hey callmecars,

Captain_WD.

thanks cap!