Nee help choosing the roght GPU

Yellow Padawon
Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,

So here we are: forget the 8gb crap. 4gb is PLENTY.

Anyway, given the fact that you have an ROG Swfit, you should stick with the SLI 970. Even if you dip below 60 fps, G-sync will cover you up. No reason to go for 980 SLI if you have it.

Hi,

I need your help with something. Both of my 780ti was burned up after a lightning hit our house. I need to buy a new one. 

I do have an Nvidia Shield tablet, and like to stream my games. Which means that I like to stick to Nvidia. 

980 is out on the market, but I wasnt sure if i should wait for GM200, or 980 with 8gb. 

I do play demanding games on 2560*1440 - Asus ROG Swift. 

Linus just had a Techtip on NCIX about VRAM - and told me to ask you guys.. So here I am ^^

- Yellow Padawon

Damn sorry to hear about the whole lightening thing. Maybe wait for the mad cards to drop and then grab a nice sli 908 rig or even the 290xs, if theyll be even cheaper. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

So here we are: forget the 8gb crap. 4gb is PLENTY.

Anyway, given the fact that you have an ROG Swfit, you should stick with the SLI 970. Even if you dip below 60 fps, G-sync will cover you up. No reason to go for 980 SLI if you have it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Thanks for quick answer- 

But is the gm200 worth it for a long term? 

Thanks for quick answer- 

No. Totally not.

For starters, we have no clue on the release dates for a gm200 chip. So you could be stuck waiting "forever". Second, we don't know how much stronger those chips will be, compared to the 204. And third, we have no clue on the price of such cards.

So don't bother waiting. Get your PC now.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Damn those lightning....

Also I'd SLI 2 970s, and please forget about 8GB VRAM, 4 is plentiful

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

8GB VRAM can be worth it, depends on your use case. Especially the slightly higher resolution of the swift likes the extra VRAM. Some future (forbidden word really) games might actually need it.

GM200 exists only in rumors at the moment. I definitely don't recommend waiting around for products that don't even have an official name, let alone a timetable for release.

+1 for SLI GTX 970's.