What extras will I need to build my computer?

Spewky

Helllooooooooooo

I'm hoping to order my parts for my build soon, maybe in the next couple of weeks as I've been planning for months, working on getting the money, budgeting, tons of research etc and I was wondering what extras I'm going to need for when I'm building my computer...

So yeah, what things am I going to need? I know I'm going to need thermal paste and probably some sort of screwdriver... Is there anything else? Also about having an anti-static bracelet or anklet, is that completely necessary and are there really any places that are normally particularly static or does it depend on where you're standing and what you're touching. 

Also, where do you get thermal paste and is there a better kind? 

Also for when building out of the box, is that completely necessary? And once building outside of the box and testing that things turn on, do I just take the cooler and such off then insert my mobo onto the standoffs with the CPU, GPU and RAM in? 

So yeah, if anyone could tell me what I'm going to need and if they're expensive that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Just a screw driver and you should be good to go. I have built soo many pcs without anti static equipment, you'll be good.

And I personally recommend Antec Formula 6 :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Helllooooooooooo

I'm hoping to order my parts for my build soon, maybe in the next couple of weeks as I've been planning for months, working on getting the money, budgeting, tons of research etc and I was wondering what extras I'm going to need for when I'm building my computer...

So yeah, what things am I going to need? I know I'm going to need thermal paste and probably some sort of screwdriver... Is there anything else? Also about having an anti-static bracelet or anklet, is that completely necessary and are there really any places that are normally particularly static or does it depend on where you're standing and what you're touching. 

Also for when building out of the box, is that completely necessary? And once building outside of the box and testing that things turn on, do I just take the cooler and such off then insert my mobo onto the standoffs with the CPU, GPU and RAM in? 

So yeah, if anyone could tell me what I'm going to need and if they're expensive that would be awesome!

Thanks!

I use Noctua NT-H1 for thermal paste, as long as it is a reputable brand you should be good to get you going.

I have built hundreds of computers never using anti static gear, just make sure you ground yourself before touching the components.

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

I use Noctua NT-H1 for thermal paste, as long as it is a reputable brand you should be good to get you going.

I have built hundreds of computers never using anti static gear, just make sure you ground yourself before touching the components.

Awesome! I'll go look that thermal paste up and I'll hopefully be buying that. 

Thanks for the tip!

Helllooooooooooo

Thanks!

No need for an anti static, probably best if you're not standing on carpet, but if you're touching something earthed. (ie PSU) regularly, then you're fine. For thermal paste, it comes down to the materials involved in the cpu's heat spreader, and the heat sink. Check the specs, some compounds don't like copper, some don't like aluminum. After that it's how much do you want to spend on something that will give you diminishing returns. personally I used arctic silver, because it had received good reviews, and it was available down under.

As for building out of the box a static free workbench is nice, but as Linus says again, and again, and..... Just use the box the motherboard came in. Don't bother pulling it apart before installing, unless a component is going to get in the way of a screw or cable that you really need to get too. I actually found it handy to install all my power cables out of the box (modular power supply) that way I didn't have to become a contortionist.

Oh and it's nice to have a pair of scissors as well as the screwdriver, just for tidying up those cable ties.

Helllooooooooooo

Thanks!

For thermal paste, it's preapplied on most AIOs and Coolers. Unless you feel you need it don't bother.

A Philips head screw driver is needed

Antistatic-blah-blah Don't bother, Just touch the case every 10minutes or so and you'll be fine. And if you manage to build a computer without touching the case I'd be amazed. However if you plan on dragging your motherboard all over the carpet before installing it, I'd maybe get one.

And the mod-mat things that people keep talking about are also not needed unless you really want a big mat laying about.

Put your motherboard on your motherboard box and install Ram/CPU there. Then install Motherboard into the case and install CPU cooler, GPU, Power supply and hard drives. Voila.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

tunic tx-2 for thermal paste, used it for my old ps3, works very well. oh and screwdriver and zipties, built my first build yesterday,  and thing of a good name for the rig cuz.. just cuz.

The other week I helped a friend build his pc. We only had one anti-emetic wristband for three of us but we just touched the case every now and again and it was fine. Also as linus said needle-nosed pliers can help, but aren't necessary. Your cooler should have thermal paste already applied, but as a replacement I like Arctic silver 5. You can get it off sites like Amazon & I think Newegg or aria pc.