Why all the pre-built drone hype when you can build your own for cheaper?

D.A.

So many people seem to be excited about multi copters from DJi and Parrot, but I don't see how they are any different than buying an Alienware PC.

Pros of a pre built multicopter vs something you build yourself.

1. Almost no setup.
  2. Good integration with phones. This includes all the snazzy features.
  3. Great for people that just want something to work out of the box and don't want to tinker with anything.
  4. Can't really think of anything else, warranty maybe? 

Some of the big cons vs a homebuilt. 

1. Much much less customization. 
  2. Getting less than what you would be paying for with a home built.
  3. less features (Like I said before it's exactly like buying a prebuilt PC)
  4. Software limitations.
  5. Proprietary parts.

That said the Parrot Bebop is pretty cool, i'm still sure I could build something that would outperform the Bebop in pretty much every way for the same if not less though :P.

Edit: In the next month or so (hopefully sooner) I will be starting my next build. It's a budget mini hex based on this frame http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__66622__HobbyKing_Thorax_Mini_FPV_Hex_Multi_Rotor_Frame_Kit.html

And I will make a basic guide as I do it. If anyone wants a part list for $XXX amount feel free to let me know.

Uhh.. because building an aircraft yourself is not exactly as easy as plugging in cables and screwing in a motherboard.

I'm sure you could build some super baller rig, but you'd need a lot of time and effort, especially developing a control system, software to see the camera, etc etc.

Uhh.. because building an aircraft yourself is not exactly as easy as plugging in cables and screwing in a motherboard.

I'm sure you could build some super baller rig, but you'd need a lot of time and effort, especially developing a control system, software to see the camera, etc etc.

Control system, software to see the camera, etc is already made. Open and free.  Maybe I'll make a build guide to show how easy it for my next project.  The only thing that's tricky at all is some super super basic soldering that anyone could learn in five minutes. 

Control system, software to see the camera, etc is already made. Open and free.

Alright, to be clear I know fuck all about this, so excuse the ignorance lol.

What kind of control systems are available? For me, I don't like the R/C style dual stick thing, I'd want a large monitor for my display, and a joystick much like an aircraft to control my aerial vehicle.  

And how good is the free software as compared to the really nicely refined parrot Iphone apps and so forth?

I have no idea how to build one, didn't know the software was out there and free. A build guide would be awesome!

I think the "control with mobile device" feature is absolutely stupid. Complete POS compared to a proper RC heli controller.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Control system, software to see the camera, etc is already made. Open and free.  Maybe I'll make a build guide to show how easy it for my next project.  The only thing that's tricky at all is some super super basic soldering that anyone could learn in five minutes. 

Tag me when you make that  ;)

System: Thinkpad T460

I agree, building a drone is really not that difficult, there are some really good YouTube channels with really good instructions on how to do it. Pre-built drones are just overpriced and a bit boring in my opinion, the customization is endless when you build your own.

Alright, to be clear I know fuck all about this, so excuse the ignorance lol.

What kind of control systems are available? For me, I don't like the R/C style dual stick thing, I'd want a large monitor for my display, and a joystick much like an aircraft to control my aerial vehicle.  

And how good is the free software as compared to the really nicely refined parrot Iphone apps and so forth?

With the 32bit AfroFlight Naze32 board that costs $25 and comes with baseflight (free and open source sofware) https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight  already flashed it in most cases will outperform the DJi NAZA board and the NAZA will make the parrot look silly. If you have a huge multi rotor for professional videography the NAZA might be better but you can still buy that separate for $80-90 and put it on any rig. as for the controls nothing will beat the dual sticks for precision but with some tweaking it looks like you can use a joystick or gamepad I have never done this though  http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/flying-with-a-joystickgamepad-instead-of-rc-controller/ . And getting into FPV (first person view) flying is huge right now with the home builts.

Isn't building a drone a complex procedure, at least more so than building a PC?

Looking forward to that guide of yours though. I love learning new stuff. :D

(followed)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Isn't building a drone a complex procedure, at least more so than building a PC?

Looking forward to that guide of yours though. I love learning new stuff. :D

(followed)

Not anymore, it's gotten pretty easy. I'd say harder than building your basic PC but easier than building a custom water cooled rig. As long as you can do some basic soldering and follow instructions it's fine.

Also, to anyone interested here's a video that shows off some FPV racing. All of the flying in this video is done by someone with FPV LCD goggles on or an LCD screen. 

It's like buildinga RC car, it's kinda hard if your new, or never done any modding/Soldering so..yeah, kinda like doing a costum loop moded pc for the first time IMO.

Also, parts are not as easy to get everywhere nor does everyone know what they need

Yes there are sites and guides nowdays but it's less common than pc building guides, are the stores worldwide?... that is also an important thing.

Importing parts can cost a lot+ shipping...

DIY is most, if not always cheaper yes, buts sure as hell not easier if you don't know how to, even with a guide...

Great idea though, a 3D printer would make framework easier and cheaper to make if you got one :)

It's like buildinga RC car, it's kinda hard if your new, or never done any modding/Soldering so..yeah, kinda like doing a costum loop moded pc for the first time IMO.

Also, parts are not as easy to get everywhere nor does everyone know what they need

Yes there are sites and guides nowdays but it's less common than pc building guides, are the stores worldwide?... that is also an important thing.

Importing parts can cost a lot+ shipping...

DIY is most, if not always cheaper yes, buts sure as hell not easier if you don't know how to, even with a guide...

Great idea though, a 3D printer would make framework easier and cheaper to make if you got one :)

Well said! And yes parts can be tricky depending on your build.

http://www.hobbyking.com/ ships everywhere it's legal. Just don't use their Swiss Post option for batteries. 3D printed frames are a viable option, especially if you reinforce the arms with carbon fiber rods, however you will break your frame a lot and have to keep printing new ones. The $30 frame linked above is composite and will handle a crash much better than plastic, there are also lots of  full  carbon fiber frames out there but they can be pricy.

Well said! And yes parts can be tricky depending on your build.

http://www.hobbyking.com/ ships everywhere it's legal. Just don't use their Swiss Post option for batteries. 3D printed frames are a viable option, especially if you reinforce the arms with carbon fiber rods, however you will break your frame a lot and have to keep printing new ones. The $30 frame linked above is composite and will handle a crash much better than plastic, there are also lots of  full  carbon fiber frames out there but they can be pricy.

The skeleton ofc have to be made of something rugged, but the frame/Shell/armor/skin on top/around it is a different story, thus 3D printing a Frame.