New Monitor only works at 800x600 @ 60hz

MJSBLUES

So I just bought this new monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C144AYK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 and I've plugged it with the provided DVI-D cable to the slot on my GPU. It said no signal and on my main monitor I fiddled around with the settings and realized the only way I could get it to display my screen was if it was on 800x600 at 60hz it detects the display fine but it will say no signal if I make it any higher resolution or refresh rate than that. It still flickers every now and then, but otherwise it looks fine. I've tried using another DVI-D cable, but exactly the same problem. Using a HDMI cable, it can do 1080p fine with no problems.

Every 60 seconds in Africa...

A minute passes.

Maybe its a bad cable. Try another port? 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

If it works with HDMI, then what's the problem?

It's a 144hz monitor.

A minute passes.

Maybe its a bad cable. Try another port? 

I tried another cable but exactly the same problem and I've got another port on my gpu (only 1 on monitor) but even using that the same problem happens :I

A minute passes.

It's a 144hz monitor.

So? DVI-D can't support 144hz, while HDMI can (depending on version)

Try a different cord

So? DVI-D can't support 144hz, while HDMI can (depending on version)

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure dual link DVI can support 144hz but HDMI can't. With the HDMI cable I have no support for 144hz, but with the DVI-D I do.

A minute passes.

You got the driverS?

Yup, I got CCC and the monitor drivers installed :/

A minute passes.

Try a different cord

I have but no difference! :(

A minute passes.

The best DVI-D can do is 85hz @1080phttp://www.wikiwand.com/en/Digital_Visual_Interface#/Digital

It's an old Standard. HDMI and DisplayPort are far better

Why do 144 Hz monitors come with DVI-D cables and claim they support 144 Hz, then? What is the point of that?

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

Why do 144 Hz monitors come with DVI-D cables and claim they support 144 Hz, then? What is the point of that?

Legacy support. They want to monitor to work for the most number of people, and that's why they included VGA as well.

Legacy support. They want to monitor to work for the most number of people, and that's why they included VGA as well.

But my point is that i know several 144 Hz monitors that come with ONLY DVI-D and dont say anything to the customers about it not supporting the refreshrate that the monitors do.

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

Why would asus themselves say this? http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG248QE/

*To activate 144Hz function (in 2D mode), both DisplayPort (or Dual-link DVI) and a selected graphics card with the latest driver are required. Please kindly contact the service center of your graphics cards companies for further technical supports.

A minute passes.

Why would asus themselves say this? http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG248QE/

*To activate 144Hz function (in 2D mode), both DisplayPort (or Dual-link DVI) and a selected graphics card with the latest driver are required. Please kindly contact the service center of your graphics cards companies for further technical supports.

See this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1696245/dual-link-dvi-cable-support-144hz-refresh-rate-monitor.html

But my point is that i know several 144 Hz monitors that come with ONLY DVI-D and dont say anything to the customers about it not supporting the refreshrate that the monitors do.

Show me any monitor with 144hz that only has DVI-D

Show me any monitor with 144hz that only has DVI-D

Im sorry, you missed what i tried to say, again :P I'll explain it clearly.. There are 144 Hz monitors that come with only DVI-D or worse connectors in the box. Why do they do this, to make it cheaper? Because it is kind of stupid when you go and buy a 120 or 144 Hz and discover that the out of the box connectors dont even support that. 

The best DVI-D can do is 85hz @1080phttp://www.wikiwand.com/en/Digital_Visual_Interface#/Digital

It's an old Standard. HDMI and DisplayPort are far better

Maybe on the mainstream. The DVI dual link cables that are packaged with monitors (at least in the case of my 3 VG248QEs) DO support 144Hz (I have 3 running).That said, I've yet to find a 3rd party cable that can, and I've tried a few as I need a longer cable.

HDMI versions <2.0 (so essentially every monitor, and most graphics cards) do NOT support 144Hz at 1080p and will fail miserably.

You will have better luck with displayport, but if you want to run in surround, unless you have a 9xx GPU you are unlikely to have 3x Display Port outputs, so will still have to adapt to DVI.