World's Largest Digital Camera?

ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

Disclaimer: I don't know if this is a repost. Didn't find it on the site though. So thought of posting it. Might be stupid or even a rumor. Not sure. But still, posting!

post-29727-0-05572300-1421509191.jpeg

World's largest camera with a 3.2 Gigapixel sensor has secured funding for its construction. Once constructed the camera will be the size of a small car and will weigh approximately 3 tons. The camera will be the world’s most powerful digital camera and will be used to capture high-resolution images and videos of the night sky.
The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope camera will be constructed at the Department of Energy's SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. It has a giant imaging sensor created by combining 189 individual CCD sensors. Coupled with the LSST telescope, the digital camera will have power to distinguish a pair of car headlights from 400 miles away.  

So apparently they're building a huge car sized camera that's 3 tons in weight just to get some hig res pics on the night sky? what? 

what do you think about this?

Source: http://www.digit.in/digital-cameras/world-largest-digital-camera-will-capture-32-gigapixel-sky-pics-25028.html

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Alien confirmation confirmed?

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Probably for astronomical observation... Will most likely be paired with a telescope (those large ones)...

nice camara but think they could find something more useful than takeing pics of the night sky

LOL WUT?

Now, extrapolate that with a gigantor camera... There's a lot out there we can learn from looking at the night sky. Since the dawn of humanity, we've been studying it every night. Excuse the pun.

yo momma so fat jokes incoming...

Details separate people.

nice camara but think they could find something more useful than takeing pics of the night sky

Umm...what? 

You realize that most astrophotography is actually done using garden variety DSLRs with digital sensors? A photo like this was taken using a DSLR.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140730.html

This one specifically was taken using a Nikon D5300. And of course, like all astrophotography was run through processing to refine the colours to be more accurate of what M31 actually looks like. 

3rksyD3.jpg

that's all nice n all...BUT FIRST LET ME TAKE A SELFIE!

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Back in 2012 the largest one had 570 Megapixels... This has six times that.

Umm...what? 

You realize that most astrophotography is actually done using garden variety DSLRs with digital sensors? A photo like this was taken using a DSLR.http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140730.html

This one specifically was taken using a Nikon D5300. And of course, like all astrophotography was run through processing to refine the colours to be more accurate of what M31 actually looks like. -image-

Really? A D5300? You'd think that NASA could afford better sensors than that. It's not even full frame.

Guess they blew their budget on the glass.

This one specifically was taken using a Nikon D5300. And of course, like all astrophotography was run through processing to refine the colours to be more accurate of what M31 actually looks like. 

*whistle*. 700MB of RAM just for this page. What is that an 8k picture? took forever to load on my network.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

*whistle*. 700MB of RAM just for this page. What is that an 8k picture? took forever to load on my network.

Roughly 5K I think for the D5300. But the photo being layered and composited and then edited likely left it weighing a little more than your average RAW file. 

And this is just from an amateur with ~4000 total in equipment, so imagine what guys who have far better telescopes, gimbals and sensors can do. 

Oh the crude jokes I could make..

Can we point it at the moon for like twenty seconds? I'd love so massive resolution photos of the moon.

In 2060 there will be cameras like this in our pockets o-o?

Even today there's no small camera that can replicate the performance of a camera from 50 years ago with large optics. Optics aren't shrinkable within reason of diminishing returns. You can shrink the body and the sensor, but you can't shrink the glass.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Hinres pictures of the sky from earth... Or hi red pictures of the earth from the sky. The NSA are rubbing their hands together as we speak.

will the biep noise get scaled too?

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Just think about the flash and what would happen if this thing runned with AAA batteries? :D and a 8gb MicroSD card :D

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

LOL WUT?

Now, extrapolate that with a gigantor camera... There's a lot out there we can learn from looking at the night sky. Since the dawn of humanity, we've been studying it every night. Excuse the pun.

thx for posting this video.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

thx for posting this video.

Sure thing. I really want to make one of those; but I fear it could be another money pit...