Users that don't own a haswell cpu's should not talk about it

Go to solution Solved by grayperview,

yes it is forbidden

From the code of conduct

4.1 Trolling
This includes but is not limited to the following:

• Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums
  • Causing disturbances in forum threads such as picking fights or insulting other members
  • Making non-constructive posts for the purpose of causing unrest
  • Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
  • Labeling a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements
  • Replying to a thread simply to call the author a troll (regardless of whether the post is actually trolling)

My brain hurts from all this misinformation.

on OC3D TTL would already have yelled at him for spreading such stuff on his forums. Linus where art thou?

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

No your point was that "users that don't own a Haswell cpu should not talk about it" your words... title of this thread actually. I don't own a Haswell but some of the Ivy Bridge overclocking procedures can apply to the Haswell chipset to a point. I would hope that i could offer some advice to someone trying to overclock a Haswell with my knowledge of Ivy Bridge even if it was in the slightest way.

You're ranting about like for like settings but the reality whether you believe it or not is that if you had 20x 4770k's from all different batches and all you did was swap out the one that you have right now and tried each of the 20 chips you would have variances, again its up to you if you want to believe that or not but i'm exceptionally confident that 99% of people would agree with me. That doesn't mean i'm right but, odds are on my side...

Not only would there certainly be variances, if you where replacing the CPU, booting straight into BIOS setting 1.4vcore and setting a 47x multiplyer I would bet that you would have a couple chips that wouldn't complete a stability test to get a temp comparison, or even successfully boot.

Take a breath, sit back, have a read. 

This mobo with this CPU at *this* voltage DOES NOT = this clock @ this temp... just doesn't

Also just coming back to your overall point, if you use your logic of 'if you don't own it then you can't talk about it' principle, the boards would be a lot less active. Yes, you shouldn't just blindly say something without having some understanding about the product and the reason why you're saying what you're saying but Linus does product reviews and unboxings as do multiple other people to give this information to people to use, not to be ignored. These forums are for productive discussion, not just simple straight forward answers that you could get out of the owners manual or off a spec sheet.

cool story bro but that was not the point i wanted to make at all?

Yes it was, you said Haswell overclocks good and yada yada based of one chip, YOURS. Now deal with the shitstorm coming towards you for spreading wrong data.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

that have nothing to do with temps on the vcore on 1.43 i still have the bad thermal paste between the IHS and the chip don't i?

i talking temp wise

Every CPU sold is different. As the moderators explained to you, displacement of atoms inside the die can cause temps to be different between chips. Not only that, but not every chip has the exact same amount of TIM between the die and the IHS. Also, there is a difference in seating between CPU packages.

It's not because your chip stays cool that everybody's chips stays that cool.

On the topic of voltages, I  can tell you that there is a reasoning behind the 1.3V max recommendation of most people. As manufactering processes get smaller and smaller, the space between two electrical traces on the die gets smaller. The smaller that space gets, the less insulating material there is between the two traces. This affects how much voltage the die can take before literally frieing because of a short circuit (you might want to read up on breakdown voltage, or doorslagspanning in dutch). Granted, 1.3V or even 1.4V isn't the breakdown voltage of the 22nm CPUs (you would know, you have one running at more than 1.4V), but the higher the voltage, the bigger the electromigration. Electromigration causes chips to wear out more quickly.

Just to end this post: you are the one doing something wrong by telling other people to stop stating "wrong facts". It isn't becasue your single chip can handle 1.43V and run at 4.7GHz on an AIO water cooler that other chips can. People like JJ have more than 60 chips to test and thus can make a far more accurate prediction on how well the architecture as a whole performs. They can say guidelines to follow because they have a wide variaty of chips (from very bad all the way up to very good performers)

once again 

if 2 i7 4770k have the same voltage take 1.4

and both are clocked on 4.4ghz

both cpu's will and always will get the same temps

You've neglected at least a dozen other variables.

Person A could be 5'6" and 150lbs. Person B can be the exact same. Doesn't mean they're equally muscular and lean-built, as one could have a different body fat to muscle ratio due to differences in diet and workout regime (if you're not seeing the parallel to this situation, I'm not going to bother explaining it). Statistical information and individual experiences are more often than not far from one another.

You really need to understand how manufacturing processes work. There's no such thing as a perfect process, and every process produces a normal distribution of components: a higher probability of the expected specs, with plenty of outliers (lower probability). Technology hasn't advanced to the point where individual atoms can be positioned precisely and kept in the spot for the required duration of time/lifespan.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

good thing this was only a troll post.

i made this post to make 1 point and 1 point only.

how users react to each other.

this was nothing more then a test and you all got the knowledge (still disagree with JJ points do)

the point really was overclocking can be dangerous and you should not go above 1.3v if you don't wanna destroy your chip fast.

but some users get really mad without a reason.

there is no wrong way or wrong overclock just do it safe way.

and the big winner Scia, he really know his stuff.

this can now be locked and buried for ever i guess.

but remember, there is no wrong infomation if you tell the dangers of overclocking

thank you :)

good thing this was only a troll post.

i made this post to make 1 point and 1 point only.

how users react to each other.

this was nothing more then a test and you all got the knowledge (still disagree with JJ points do)

the point really was overclocking can be dangerous and you should not go above 1.3v if you don't wanna destroy your chip fast.

but some users get really mad without a reason.

there is no wrong way or wrong overclock just do it safe way.

and the big winner Scia, he really know his stuff.

this can now be locked and buried for ever i guess.

but remember, there is no wrong infomation if you tell the dangers of overclocking

thank you :)

Buahahahahahaha, good one.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Buahahahahahaha, good one.

well thank you lol took me a while to set up a plan but as a writer you come sometimes wit crazy idea's

Or its because you realised how incorrect you were and made a massive backtrack. Just like Microsoft did with DRM.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Or its because you realised how incorrect you were and made a massive backtrack. Just like Microsoft did with DRM.

nope lol it was all a plot :)

nope lol it was all a plot :)

Sure....

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Sure....

you don't have to believe it not my problem :P

Pretty much this.

nah not really i know the dangers very well

did alot of ocing the past 10 years with amd and intel.

i just ignore the dangers of ocing because yes that a part of the job at least for me

Anyway, someone should bring the sun lotion, because he just got burnt! :)))))))

That thread made my eyes bleed. Not because it was funny but because it was so useless

144Hz goodness

more proof!

1047952_10200651225300581_1836929230_o.j

37 seconds of stability, that's what i get from this screenshot.

no validation!

does your computer crash at the 4 minute mark?

maybe post a result that validates your system for 8 hours or more...if you want me to believe anyways or any other experienced user.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Yes, the guys and idiot, either way he should be banned, for either trolling or giving potentially dangerous overclocking advice...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Anyway, someone should bring the sun lotion, because he just got burnt! :)))))))

indeed reason my cpu is 80c man xD

37 seconds of stability, that's what i get from this screenshot.

no validation!

does your computer crash at the 4 minute mark?

maybe post a result that validates your system for 8 hours or more...if you want me to believe anyways or any other experienced user.

lol it was a quike test to show the temps it's 24/7 stable lol

Yes, the guys and idiot, either way he should be banned, for either trolling or giving potentially dangerous overclocking advice...

trolling is not forbidden?

and i won't call it a bad advice because i already said you need to cool it good and then you good to go

ofcourse higher vcore's kill the cpu faster.

but if you are a ocer you already know that and it is not something new.

yes it is forbidden

From the code of conduct

4.1 Trolling
This includes but is not limited to the following:

• Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums
  • Causing disturbances in forum threads such as picking fights or insulting other members
  • Making non-constructive posts for the purpose of causing unrest
  • Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
  • Labeling a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements
  • Replying to a thread simply to call the author a troll (regardless of whether the post is actually trolling)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

My h100i pump broke and is in RMA, so I'm using a stock cooler right now.  (4670k)

I'm running with no overclock and the temps get to 90 degrees under load, even with the 10,0000,000 RPM airplane stock fan.

I am running a 4670k with the stock cooler, and I am actually enjoying it :o

The stock cooler isn't that loud (I am used to a hyperevo 212), temps are at the bad side of the 50 at idle, but don't get over 70 when gaming 

Proud to be from Belgium.