Users that don't own a haswell cpu's should not talk about it

Go to solution Solved by grayperview,

yes it is forbidden

From the code of conduct

4.1 Trolling
This includes but is not limited to the following:

• Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums
  • Causing disturbances in forum threads such as picking fights or insulting other members
  • Making non-constructive posts for the purpose of causing unrest
  • Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
  • Labeling a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements
  • Replying to a thread simply to call the author a troll (regardless of whether the post is actually trolling)

last days i see users giving other tips about overclocking haswell cpu's without owning one.

what is strange and they read reviews and say you can do this and don't do that.

you should stop doing that if you don't own the chip.

because haswell overclocking is not the same as before like SB or IB and let alone the included voltage controller in the cpu it self.

users think it is not safe to pass 1.3vcore i can tell you right now it is not true.

as long you cool the cpu decent and keep temps below 70c-80c you just do perfectly fine.

also the ring ratio is something new something i still keep figure out how to get my cpu on 4.7Ghz and my ring ratio also.

and there is one way to do that and that is testing.

if you buy a 4770k the best solution for overclocking is getting the H110 or Kraken X60 for the best cooling performance.

i get temps around 80-82c in unreal scenarios like intelburntest or prime95 with my H110 with a vcore of 1.43 and those temps are 20c below intel specs so really acceptable room temp is aroud 19-21c.

so think twice before you come with don't go higher then that vcore because it is all about cooling.

if you can stay temps low then overclock the hell out of it.

now for the 4670k users.

since the cpu have no HT the temps are always 10c lower (i tested this by disable HT on my i7)

this is what i wanted to share, enjoy overclocking you haswell cpu but cool it good.

also make sure you have good heatsink and good airflow in your system to keep the VRM and mosfet cool.

I think you need to understand what a community is. There is no reason why someone can't discuss their opinion on something even if they don't own one. I personally have watched all of JJs videos on newegg's and asusrog youtube channels and he as said in almost all the videos not to go higher than 1.2-1.25v on haswell current CPUs and that is with a beefy custom water or air cooler. He has more experience than any of us with Haswell CPUs unless you work for Intel. He, JJ, keeps saying that 1.2 - 1.25v is the sweet spot for the heat that the Haswell CPUs can generate unless you have exotic cooling like LN2 or Phase change. He has also said that if your Haswell CPU has been overclocked using all the proper configurations for Haswell CPUs and can't run at 4.5 or higher at 1.2 - 1.25 then that CPU just is not a good overclocker. Now i do not know about you but i have found JJ to know his stuff and i trust his knowledge.  

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I think you need to understand what a community is. There is no reason why someone can't discuss their opinion on something even if they don't own one. I personally have watched all of JJs videos on newegg's and asusrog youtube channels and he as said in almost all the videos not to go higher than 1.2-1.25v on haswell current CPUs and that is with a beefy custom water or air cooler. He has more experience than any of us with Haswell CPUs unless you work for Intel. He, JJ, keeps saying that 1.2 - 1.25v is the sweet spot for the heat that the Haswell CPUs can generate unless you have exotic cooling like LN2 or Phase change. He has also said that if your Haswell CPU has been overclocked using all the proper configurations for Haswell CPUs and can't run at 4.5 or higher at 1.2 - 1.25 then that CPU just is not a good overclocker. Now i do not know about you but i have found JJ to know his stuff and i trust his knowledge.  

because some one says that is directly true

JJ can say he wants but does that mean it is true?

go for example to guru3D forums or extremeoverclockers those are the real pro's

JJ is very informative but if you have watched all of his videos you should have noticed a couple things.

1- his cpu is an EVALUATION SAMPLE (so is TTL's) his cpu seems to be the cream of the crop. 4.8GHz with a 1:1 cache ratio at 1.275V lol not likely anyone will get the same results

2- Even his max temps spike above 90c at 1.275V (look closely)

3- Did you see that beast of a cooler he is rockin?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

JJ is very informative but if you have watched all of his videos you should have noticed a couple things.

1- his cpu is an EVALUATION SAMPLE (so is TTL's) his cpu seems to be the cream of the crop. 4.8GHz with a 1:1 cache ratio at 1.275V lol not likely anyone will get the same results

2- Even his max temps spike above 90c at 1.275V (look closely)

3- Did you see that beast of a cooler he is rockin?

About :-

1) The CPU he used was the cream or his crop and he had someting like 60 Haswell CPUs at his disposal,

2) His max tempretures spiked above 90C at 1.275v( i did look closely and attentively) and that is why i posted about not going higher that 1.2-1.25 with the corsair H100 in another post about  

a member who is having trouble with 4.4 with 1.35v on a Haswell CPUs this morning.

3) The Koolance Exos-2.5 water cooler @ max fan speed was what he used to achieve the 4.8MHz @ 1.275v and it is for that reason why many people who are tiring to overclock a Haswell

CPU with just a Corsair H100 can't achieve a high overclock. I don't have a Haswell CPU and i know that. I am IvyBridge and will say so until a CPU gives me better overclocking options,

Intel or AMD, i don't care.

So that is why i don't believe in you saying that no one should talk or give advice about Haswell overclocking unless they own one. Discussion is how we will all learn, not just bout Haswell CPUs but about contributions on a whole. If however, you own a Haswell CPU and you are overclocking it with great success, then, you should be one of the contributors who should shed some light on the "dark cloud" that is/has/will depending on how you look at it, that surrounds Haswell CPU quality, overclocking and cooling in order to get a good overclock.  

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

i do own haswell and yes i am trying to shed some light. as best as i can with real world results.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26583-more-4770k-ocing-fun/page-5

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Discussion is how we will all learn, not just bout Haswell CPUs but about contributions on a whole. If however, you own a Haswell CPU and you are overclocking it with great success, then, you should be one of the contributors who should shed some light on the "dark cloud" that is/has/will depending on how you look at it, that surrounds Haswell CPU quality, overclocking and cooling in order to get a good overclock.  

I agree with you 100%. well put

I agree more with you on that than i do on the discussion topic itself!

i try to offer an unbiased real world approach.

This is like saying that we shouldn't talk about a GTX Titan because we don't have it, yet we all know the performance and the benchmarks.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

This is like saying that we shouldn't talk about a GTX Titan because we don't have it, yet we all know the performance and the benchmarks.

not really

gpu and cpu are 2 things totally different 

not really

gpu and cpu are 2 things totally different 

Look, stop trying to say that "the overclocks that people are saying aren't possible, I have one and I can't do it, or that it's perfectly safe." It's a thing called the Silicon Lottery. Some chips overclock better than others, some worse than others. And yes, people can talk about it even if they don't have it. They all know the power consumption or heat output at certain voltages because a lot of other people have benchmarked the chips and they have a view of how the chips overclock based on these various benchmarks.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

go for example to guru3D forums or extremeoverclockers those are the real pro's

1) Stop misusing the word "professional". No, it doesn't mean "they're good at what they do", it means "they get paid to do what they do". Whether they're actually good is debatable.

2) Nobody is infallible. See reason above about CPUs overclocking differently. Nobody can say "do this, don't worry about anything else" as that could very well not work for everyone.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

you all don't get it

i wanna put a stop to ppl who says temps get to high and stop the ppl that say stay below 1.3vcore because that crap is just no true

you all don't get it

i wanna put a stop to ppl who says temps get to high and stop the ppl that say stay below 1.3vcore because that crap is just no true

So you want people to stop telling the truth? Haswell does run hotter than Ivy which runs hotter than Sandy. Now if you want your CPU to run at 95C its up to you, but majority doesnt.

I dont get you bro

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

So you want people to stop telling the truth? Haswell does run hotter than Ivy which runs hotter than Sandy. Now if you want your CPU to run at 95C its up to you, but majority doesnt.

I dont get you bro

because it don't run @ 95c at all if you have a cooler that can handle the heat like the H110 does

1.43vcore and temp is 80-81c?

where ppl get this insane idea that haswell run extreme hot?

because it don't run @ 95c at all if you have a cooler that can handle the heat like the H110 does

Well from all the reviews that are out there and say that Haswell runs hotter? 

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

If it takes a liquid cooler to achieve that temperature, it is extreme. Air cooling by itself can hit those temperatures (maybe much less) at lower voltages, depending on the CPU.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Well from all the reviews that are out there and say that Haswell runs hotter? 

i know and i don't get it...

my room temp is about 19/20c and got decent cooling in my case a H110 in pull with stock thermal paste and a GTX 770 Lightning all on a MSI MPOWER MAX

and i got god like good temps so i don't understand it at all how the reviewers get sky high temp whille my temps are acceptable as hell....and no one can really explain in to me either lol

i know and i don't get it...

my room temp is about 19/20c and got decent cooling in my case a H110 in pull with stock thermal paste and a GTX 770 Lightning all on a MSI MPOWER MAX

and i got god like good temps so i don't understand it at all how the reviewers get sky high temp whille my temps are acceptable as hell....and no one can really explain in to me either lol

What is your OC?

more proof a screenshot :)

test done with MSI extreme unity and CB

1040868_10200651193819794_1928035707_o.j

My h100i pump broke and is in RMA, so I'm using a stock cooler right now.  (4670k)

I'm running with no overclock and the temps get to 90 degrees under load, even with the 10,0000,000 RPM airplane stock fan.

My h100i pump broke and is in RMA, so I'm using a stock cooler right now.  (4670k)

I'm running with no overclock and the temps get to 90 degrees under load, even with the 10,0000,000 RPM airplane stock fan.

get the H110 or Kraken X60 really those 2 will rock the temps

get the H110 or Kraken X60 really those 2 will rock the temps

more proof!

1047952_10200651225300581_1836929230_o.j

The h110 has Corsair Link?  wha???

Nevermind, it seems thats for PSU =)

The h110 has Corsair Link?  wha???

Nevermind, it seems thats for PSU =)

hehe you don't need corsair link for the cooling reason i choose the H110 but i wanna messsure how much what i'm using without having any kind of meter reason i bought the corsair AX760i