Painting heat spreader on DDR4

TheLaustsen

Hey guys :)

I'm pretty new on this forum, but I was wondering if any of you would be willing to help me :)

I'm going to buy a new kit of DDR4 ram. Currently I'm going to buy "Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 4x2GB" (I don't know if I'm allowed to link to other websites), but the color don't fit my build. That's why i want to paint the heat spreader on the ram. My plan is to use some kind of plasti dip. But the real question is, will the ram get to hot, when i'm using plasti dip? I don't know how much heat DDR4 produce and with the lower voltage, it might not be a problem :)

But do any of you guys have any experience with DDR4 and even maybe on painting them?

PS. Sorry for bad grammar, hope you get the point ;)

In advance, thanks for the help :D

DDR4 sticks do not produce as much heat as DDR3 and usually the passive cooling is enough but this is assuming you have enough airflow in your case. 

I would be careful but it should be fine really

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Alright, do you know if DDR4 is using thermal pads? Or is it like some DDR3 where they just are using duct tape to stick the heat spreader on to the module?

Alright, do you know if DDR4 is using thermal pads? Or is it like some DDR3 where they just are using duct tape to stick the heat spreader on to the module?

I doubt it. They're probably using that glue like stuff that DDR3 has to keep them in place. Just get some masking tape and tape off everything you don't want sprayed. RAM doesn't heat up much so you don't have to worry about the paint melting or anything like that.

I was planing on removing the heat spreader from the ram module, to paint it propperly. And I was wondering how to put i back together, but maybe it's easier to just mask the PCB off...

Hey guys :)

I'm pretty new on this forum, but I was wondering if any of you would be willing to help me :)

I'm going to buy a new kit of DDR4 ram. Currently I'm going to buy "Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 4x2GB" (I don't know if I'm allowed to link to other websites), but the color don't fit my build. That's why i want to paint the heat spreader on the ram. My plan is to use some kind of plasti dip. But the real question is, will the ram get to hot, when i'm using plasti dip? I don't know how much heat DDR4 produce and with the lower voltage, it might not be a problem :)

But do any of you guys have any experience with DDR4 and even maybe on painting them?

PS. Sorry for bad grammar, hope you get the point ;)

In advance, thanks for the help :D

Consider this:

1. A naked memory stick is usually just fine thermally speaking.
  2. If you add a heat spreader, it will dissipate heat a little better. 
  3. If you paint that added heat spreader, it will become an insulator, especially with plastidip. So now your memory is being wrapped in a blanket...will this affect your memory significantly. I doubt it.

HOWEVER, i wouldnt because performance over aesthetics...always.