When are PC games gonna start being released on blue-ray?

Tairetsu

Lol eventually maybe... but the next generation of consoles will absolutely not be internet only. I mean Microsoft got a s**t storm just for proposing an always on internet connection and you expect people to be ok with them requiring games be downloaded exclusively over the internet. Digital will always be better for the majority but until internet providers are giving great internet connection for cheap it will not be acceptable for the physical media to be removed. And the world isn't anywhere near ready for digital only distribution.

And we in the PCMR just sat by in our Steam-shrines and said "what are you guys on about"

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Not when the world has already gone digital. .... Steam and other digital disros is the future not disk LOL. Running ine server to upload for all is allot more cost effective than burning physical disks for all espceially exspensive Blo ray disks.

Except when each have bluray is up to 50GB. Imagine downloading that every time you wanted to watch a movie. It takes the average connection far far longer to download that amount of data that it will for you to consume it, which is not what the consumer wants.

Except when each have bluray is up to 50GB. Imagine downloading that every time you wanted to watch a movie. It takes the average connection far far longer to download that amount of data that it will for you to consume it, which is not what the consumer wants.

But blu-rays are expensive. I would rather waste time downloading a game rather than spending twice the price or even more for the same thing 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

But blu-rays are expensive. I would rather waste time downloading a game rather than spending twice the price or even more for the same thing

You are a streaming peasant. Blu-ray for movies is far superior. They will allow for more than 80 Mbps bitrate at UHD and 10-bit color.

Fuck that. UHD blu-ray is far superior in terms of quality.

High-definition video may be stored on BD-ROMs with up to 1920×1080 pixel resolution. Burning content to a blu ray disk does not increase image quality LOL.

You are a streaming peasant. Blu-ray for movies is far superior. They will allow for more than 80 Mbps bitrate at UHD and 10-bit color.

Blu Ray allows for 1080P max LOL. What's far superior for movies is watching them in HD for free to see if you like them and if it's worth you hard earned dollars.

lol we don't need blueray for games, why the hell would anyone pay $30-40 for a blueray reader when we can already download games in their entirety, besides only older games actually require a disk to be in the PC when it's running.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

only older games actually require a disk to be in the PC when it's running.

Disk in PC peasents LOL.

Disk in PC peasents LOL.

I tough PC was all about choice?,some people do not like to only have their games abviable as files on the computer that can be damaged or corrupted and not have any other way of having them back except having an internet connection all the time,the fact is that not all countries offer an internet connection fast and stable enough to ONLY have media abviable in the cloud,and its stupid to think that it is ok to not have an offline alternative,the internet is not magic,it can fail,it can have errors,and for some of us who actually know how to take care of our discs having a game store on a disc is,if anything,just comfortable,it may not be objectively safer or better,but it gives,at least me,a sense of calm,I do not worry about the data store on a game disc because I know anything that can happen to it I can stop or help,if something goes wrong on the cloud is not up to me,I cannot do anything to fix it,I can only hope the company in charge fixes it,and,even tho unlikely,is a tough that makes me uneasy about my PC games.

NOW,with that tough out of the way,coming back to the subject matter,I gotta ask,is it really more expensive to pack a single blue-ray on a box rather than 5-6 DVDs?,I would imagine that it would be the other way around,it would be more expensive,and yeah,not everyone has a blue-ray drive.And then again,a USB alternative is fine by me,I just think is time for PC gaming to upgrade the way it distributes games phisically.but how many people had CD drives back in the 90s when we made the switch from diskettes?,I imagine not all that many people. 

I mean,I might be in the minority here,but I do not think it is unreasonable to want a phisical copy of the products I buy,or unreasonable to want for publishers to upgrade the means trough which they distribute said phisical copies,is it?

I tough PC was all about choice?,some people do not like to only have their games abviable as files on the computer that can be damaged or corrupted

Some people don't want physical disks that get lost scratched and clutter up their space. I have never had a Steam game get corrupted unless I was modding the fails and in that case a quick verification of the of files is all that's needed LOL.

I mean,I might be alone on this one,but I do not think it is unreasonable to want a phisical copy of the products I buy,or unreasonable to want for publishers to upgrade the means trough which they distribute said phisical copies,is it?

They are not upgrading to Physical copies because that's not and upgrade at all. It's all digital now in days which is why Movie Rental shops are dead and EBgames is going under.

seriously tho,why does it have to be either Steam or 5 DVDs the only options for PC gamers?,its about danm time PC gamers start coming in blue-ray so we dont have to deal with constany swap in and out.

There are only a few people with optical drives and even fewer with Blu-Ray ones. It's just going digital. And if I had a Blu-Ray drive, I'd still have a 50GB Steam download rather than 2 Blu-Rays.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Some people don't want physical disks that get lost scratched and clutter up their space. I have never had a Steam game get corrupted unless I was modding the fails and in that case a quick verification of the of files is all that's needed LOL.

They are not upgrading to Physical copies because that's not and upgrade at all. It's all digital now in days which is why Movie Rental shops are dead and EBgames is going under.

I think you mistake what im saying for "stop selling games digitally and move everything back to phisical",if thats the case im sorry for not being clear,but what im saying is to upgrade the current method of phisical distribution,not that games should stop being sold digitally,of course not,but have them both digital and phisical,they are 2 different subjects,and should be trated individually,so keep making the digital medium better,but also let phisical be up to snuff too.

I mean,consoles do it,consoles sell their games on blue-ray and trough a digital store,the games are not expensier and the market lives in harmony,people make their choice about how they like to purchase games,why should PC miss out on that?. 

And again,im not suggesting blue-ray as the only alternative,any kind of phisical medium works for me,USB storage?,great!,even better than blue-ray,some kind of SD card?,works too,anything,just,a phisical medium that can hold more data and deliver PC games in,you know,less than 5 different discs. 

Blu Ray allows for 1080P max LOL. What's far superior for movies is watching them in HD for free to see if you like them and if it's worth you hard earned dollars.

We'll see uhd blu-rays at the end of the year with much improved quality. Even 1080p blu-ray is far superior to streaming.

There are only a few people with optical drives and even fewer with Blu-Ray ones. It's just going digital. And if I had a Blu-Ray drive, I'd still have a 50GB Steam download rather than 2 Blu-Rays.

I'm sorry but Blu-rays store digital information as well :D

High-definition video may be stored on BD-ROMs with up to 1920×1080 pixel resolution. Burning content to a blu ray disk does not increase image quality LOL.

It not all about pixels, actually with video its more about bit-rate.

You do realize that a lot of 4k content is available on blu-ray.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

To my understanding Blu ray can do 1080P @ 60fps max. I could be wrong.

It not all about pixels, actually with video its more about bit-rate.

Yes this is true. For me H. 264 content is good enough and even a high quality DVD rip is good enough for me but I do like to watch movies like The Dark Knight is as good of quality as possible. To be honest I rather watch movies in the native to film standard of 21:9 aspect ratio so you are seeing the full native picture with no scaling or black boarders.

There are quite a few movies from Sony picture that are 4k, like the amazing spiderman. All the studios are coming together to introduce ultra HD bluray. Don't really know what that means though other than a marketing term. 4k video does fit on a bluray disc.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I tough PC was all about choice?,some people do not like to only have their games abviable as files on the computer that can be damaged or corrupted and not have any other way of having them back except having an internet connection all the time,the fact is that not all countries offer an internet connection fast and stable enough to ONLY have media abviable in the cloud,and its stupid to think that it is ok to not have an offline alternative,the internet is not magic,it can fail,it can have errors,and for some of us who actually know how to take care of our discs having a game store on a disc is,if anything,just comfortable,it may not be objectively safer or better,but it gives,at least me,a sense of calm,I do not worry about the data store on a game disc because I know anything that can happen to it I can stop or help,if something goes wrong on the cloud is not up to me,I cannot do anything to fix it,I can only hope the company in charge fixes it,and,even tho unlikely,is a tough that makes me uneasy about my PC games.

NOW,with that tough out of the way,coming back to the subject matter,I gotta ask,is it really more expensive to pack a single blue-ray on a box rather than 5-6 DVDs?,I would imagine that it would be the other way around,it would be more expensive,and yeah,not everyone has a blue-ray drive.And then again,a USB alternative is fine by me,I just think is time for PC gaming to upgrade the way it distributes games phisically.but how many people had CD drives back in the 90s when we made the switch from diskettes?,I imagine not all that many people. 

I mean,I might be in the minority here,but I do not think it is unreasonable to want a phisical copy of the products I buy,or unreasonable to want for publishers to upgrade the means trough which they distribute said phisical copies,is it?

well the media is cheaper but the packaging and logistics may be more due to the larger size and heavier weight. DVD: 4.7GB (single layer) and 8.5GB (dual layer) BD: 25GB (single layer) and 50GB (dual layer). Quad layer BDs are also becoming more and more common and a likely have the first physical 4K will come out on.

No really but kinda since yo ucan always make your own?

Actually the vast majority of consumers have one and ill put money on the majority of PC gamers still having at least a DVD drive as they run yo umax $20 for a good one new.

Actually you could have 1 BD and it would be far quicker unless you say have a 500Mbit/s connection and were able to max it on the download from steam.

I think you mistake what im saying for "stop selling games digitally and move everything back to phisical",if thats the case im sorry for not being clear,but what im saying is to upgrade the current method of phisical distribution,not that games should stop being sold digitally,of course not,but have them both digital and phisical,they are 2 different subjects,and should be trated individually,so keep making the digital medium better,but also let phisical be up to snuff too.

I mean,consoles do it,consoles sell their games on blue-ray and trough a digital store,the games are not expensier and the market lives in harmony,people make their choice about how they like to purchase games,why should PC miss out on that?. 

And again,im not suggesting blue-ray as the only alternative,any kind of phisical medium works for me,USB storage?,great!,even better than blue-ray,some kind of SD card?,works too,anything,just,a phisical medium that can hold more data and deliver PC games in,you know,less than 5 different discs.

problem with flash is that it is significantly more volatile than a pressed optical disc. It would also be far, far more costly.

I would by no means say a lot and what is from my understanding isn't, well "standardized". Sony is the only one I believe. They are using quad layer BDs and their own proprietary format which actually isn't the one that they are trying to get to be the standard. Yo uwoul dbe royally stupid to buy into that now unless you have money to throw away.

You are indeed wrong. BDs are 1080p24, 1080i50, or 1080i60. They also have legacy support for 720x480i60 and 720x576i50. Many years after release the spec way updated to support 720p60. Then there are the wonky 3D specs which have a couple ways of being done.

Yes this is true. For me H. 264 content is good enough and even a high quality DVD rip is good enough for me but I do like to watch movies like The Dark Knight is as good of quality as possible. To be honest I rather watch movies in the native to film standard of 21:9 aspect ratio so you are seeing the full native picture with no scaling or black boarders.

If you have 480p at its max interlaced bit rate of 9000kbps vs say 1080p at a starved bit rate of 2500kbps the 480p would look better with any sort of somewhat decent upscaler. If you use madVR (mentioned in my sig) high bit rate 480p will have a near perfect scaling to 1080p. Granted you will start to nice lack of definition if you look for it but I would say it easily exceeds displaying a 720p natively.

Also 21:9 is not a native cinema aspect ratio. Those are flat widescreen 1.85:1 and anamorphic widescreen 2.38:1 (some older stuff is 2.35:1). 21:9 ends up being not wide enough or too wide at 2.333:1. Because of how wide this content is it is rarely release to consumers at its native aspect ration and adapted for distribution. Some stuff still is but you would then run into the problem that a BD has a max resolution of 1920x1080 so the file would be severely letter boxed. Most software done would be able to zoom to that either as 21:9 monitors are rather new. You also might actually get a worse picture because you are presenting far less pixels on the screen. 16:9 is not actually video standard and only became the ration for the standard widescreen TV because it was the best average of the most common widescreen and full screen aspect ratios, thus allowing the least amount of black borders on the screen.

There are quite a few movies from Sony picture that are 4k, like the amazing spiderman. All the studios are coming together to introduce ultra HD bluray. Don't really know what that means though other than a marketing term. 4k video does fit on a bluray disc.

especially when utilizing H.265 and a quad layer disc.

I would by no means say a lot and what is from my understanding isn't, well "standardized". Sony is the only one I believe. They are using quad layer BDs and their own proprietary format which actually isn't the one that they are trying to get to be the standard. Yo uwoul dbe royally stupid to buy into that now unless you have money to throw away.

especially when utilizing H.265 and a quad layer disc.

The lack of standardization is an issue because actual Cinema 4k and 4k Ultra HD are two different resolutions. Even the Blu-ray quad layer discs arent standardized yet. There's a 66gb,100gb and 128gb disc floating around. Leave it to Sony to try and create its own standard.

I am happy that there will now be H.265 support.

The lack of standardization is an issue because actual Cinema 4k and 4k Ultra HD are two different resolutions. Even the Blu-ray quad layer discs arent standardized yet. There's a 66gb,100gb and 128gb disc floating around. Leave it to Sony to try and create its own standard.

I am happy that there will now be H.265 support.

Cinema 4K existed long before UHD and the reason UHD was chosen for consumers is that 1080p won't look like poop on it and that's the majority of what most people with be watching on them for a number of years.

Also the standardized quad layer BD is 100GB so that anything supporting dual layer can use it. Also there will not be H.265 support on the standard BD, it would be considered a new medium and have a new architecture. This is because bluray players wouldn't have a prayer in playing them and they will want to avoid that issue all together.

The main issue with h.265 at the moment is far longer amount of encoding time and the increased amount of power needed to decode it. H.264 ran into the decoding issue as well until hardware decoders were developed for portable devices.

It will happen when Tom Brady dies. Hopefully that happens soon.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

And I'd rather not have to wait an year to play a game that's downloading on slow internet. I'd opt for disks.

System: Thinkpad T460