When are PC games gonna start being released on blue-ray?

Tairetsu

Seriously?

yep :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

There are quite a few movies from Sony picture that are 4k, like the amazing spiderman. All the studios are coming together to introduce ultra HD bluray. Don't really know what that means though other than a marketing term. 4k video does fit on a bluray disc.

There are none, the "4K remastered" thing is simply downscaled from uhd with better color.

When are pc games gonna start being released on blu-ray? Never, the cost for BD is just expensive, also more and more people are looking forward to digital downloads

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

You are a streaming peasant. Blu-ray for movies is far superior. They will allow for more than 80 Mbps bitrate at UHD and 10-bit color.

you say that, but seriously most people do not have a 10bit monitor and cant do 4k yet, most are still on 1080p never mind 4k, so linking this with the post you replied to, I would agree with them, I would rather wait longer than pay x2 price, and for my movies, I can use Netflix or whatever, but if I didnt have fibre optic, I would pay that price for films only, not games

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

I want someone with more knowledge than me to explain me just why PC games would be expensier being delivered in blue-ray if console games are not,I mean I get maybe why PS4 games would not be,and I think Nintendo uses a propietary form of it,but you know,the Xbox One uses blue-ray and I have not heard that the games on that stupid thing are expensier than they were on the 360. 

Unless you mean they would be expensier for the publisher and not the consumer. 

seriously tho,why does it have to be either Steam or 5 DVDs the only options for PC gamers?,its about danm time PC gamers start coming in blue-ray so we dont have to deal with constany swap in and out. 

Agree. I feel totally wrekt that my Blu-ray player does nothing except read DVD's

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I want someone with more knowledge than me to explain me just why PC games would be expensier being delivered in blue-ray if console games are not,I mean I get maybe why PS4 games would not be,and I think Nintendo uses a propietary form of it,but you know,the Xbox One uses blue-ray and I have not heard that the games on that stupid thing are expensier than they were on the 360. 

Unless you mean they would be expensier for the publisher and not the consumer. 

Blu-ray is a licenced technology and a fee is paid to the propioters of the technology when it is used. This same applied to HDMI actually...

"

The fees for the new product licenses are US$9,50 for a Blu-ray Disc™ player and US$14.00 for a Blu-ray Disc™ recorder. The per disc license fees for Blu-ray Disc™ will be US$0.11 for a read only disc, US$0.12 for a recordable disc and US$0.15 for a rewritable disc.

"

When you ship 500,000 physical units at 11c a disk... that's almost an annual salary of an employee thrown away. not to mention that you cant just NOT make the DVD version... so inevitably you will have overproduced on both fronts to ensure everyone can get a copy that they can actually use.

It makes more sense to ship it all on DVD, its likely cheaper to make 5-dvd's than pay the 11c licence fee and everyone can use it rather than just those with a specific drive type.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Blu-ray is a licenced technology and a fee is paid to the propioters of the technology when it is used. This same applied to HDMI actually...

"

The fees for the new product licenses are US$9,50 for a Blu-ray Disc™ player and US$14.00 for a Blu-ray Disc™ recorder. The per disc license fees for Blu-ray Disc™ will be US$0.11 for a read only disc, US$0.12 for a recordable disc and US$0.15 for a rewritable disc.

"

When you ship 500,000 physical units at 11c a disk... that's almost an annual salary of an employee thrown away. not to mention that you cant just NOT make the DVD version... so inevitably you will have overproduced on both fronts to ensure everyone can get a copy that they can actually use.

There is also the rather high production cost due to the disc need a coating because the data layer is so physically close to the read side of the disc.

"

"

It makes more sense to ship it all on DVD, its likely cheaper to make 5-dvd's than pay the 11c licence fee and everyone can use it rather than just those with a specific drive type.

Well I guess that makes a lot of sense,and the part about having to make both a DVD version and a Blue-Ray version is definitely a big factor,since when dealing with consoles you only make one of them,not both.

So we are stuck in a situation in which either we force people to upgrade to blue-ray or we have publishers and distributors not wanting to take the risk because it implies a bigger cost,It kinda makes me wonder how the switch from diskettes to dics worked out so well :P.

Well I guess that makes a lot of sense,and the part about having to make both a DVD version and a Blue-Ray version is definitely a big factor,since when dealing with consoles you only make one of them,not both.

So we are stuck in a situation in which either we force people to upgrade to blue-ray or we have publishers and distributors not wanting to take the risk because it implies a bigger cost,It kinda makes me wonder how the switch from diskettes to dics worked out so well :P.

If a tech came out tomorrow that was 100 times cheaper than CD's, and held 500 times the data then CD's would become as retro as floppy disks :-)

If a tech came out tomorrow that was 100 times cheaper than CD's, and held 500 times the data then CD's would become as retro as floppy disks :-)

I disagree with this because there has not been any physical media that has succeeded in replacing CDs. This is likely because most attempts were just modified CDs to keep backwards compatibility. Also with most music sales now coming from digital its likely that a better digital format would be available before a better physical one. DVD/BDs for video will not get to this point any time soon because of relatively poor internet infrastructure and the fact that video takes up considerably more space that audio generally. This will be the case even more so once 4K becomes mainstream. CDs really do need an upgrade, hell BDs and even DVDs can contain better quality audio.

lol blue ray? I don't even have optical drives in my PC's.

You could buy a coffee table coaster for a lot cheaper than a blue ray and serve the same purpose.

First of all PC going completely digital with the crappy internet that almost every country has is complete BS.
I have 50.000Mb/s and it will take me already hours to download GTA V let alone the 2.000Mb/s-16.000Mb/s that most people have.
GTA V is 60GB that's going to be 8 DVDs so going Blu-Ray will probably happen sooner or later.
And this situation will only get worse Star Citizen will probably be like 100GB and you want to tell me we can go digital with that crappy average internet???

Same goes for movies, streaming comes not even close to Blu-Ray quality and no one will download a 50GB 1080p movie or a 200GB 4K movie.

RTX2070OC 

I think they should be sold on bluray or USB, at least for a few years.  No better way to get the grandmothers, grandfathers and aunts/uncles of the world to by it as a gift that they'll enjoy giving, then a physical item with substance(more so than a gift card anyways).

Who likes buying and giving gift certificates anyways?  It's bereft of feeling and more of a "this is what I owe you" exchange, than a gift.

I buy both digital and physical, and sometimes both of the same title if it;s one I really enjoyed AND was originally bought on a super sale.

First of all PC going completely digital with the crappy internet that almost every country has is complete BS.

I have 50.000Mb/s and it will take me already hours to download GTA V let alone the 2.000Mb/s-16.000Mb/s that most people have.

GTA V is 60GB that's going to be 8 DVDs so going Blu-Ray will probably happen sooner or later.

And this situation will only get worse Star Citizen will probably be like 100GB and you want to tell me we can go digital with that crappy average internet???

Same goes for movies, streaming comes not even close to Blu-Ray quality and no one will download a 50GB 1080p movie or a 200GB 4K movie.

I don't know I haven't bought a hard copy of a game in over 10 years.  I think half life 2 is the last disc copy game I bought which came with steam way back when.  and I had crappy .9mbps DSL back then.   I have 50mpbs internet now.  I don't see any problem with "a few hours" to download a game. I just pre-download them, or download them while i'm at work.  My problem is stupid bandwidth caps my ISP has they are really low.

I don't know I haven't bought a hard copy of a game in over 10 years.  I think half life 2 is the last disc copy game I bought which came with steam way back when.  and I had crappy .9mbps DSL back then.   I have 50mpbs internet now.  I don't see any problem with "a few hours" to download a game. I just pre-download them, or download them while i'm at work.  My problem is stupid bandwidth caps my ISP has they are really low.

10 years ago very very few games were available for download.

I don't know why this thread has gone on for 6 pages. We all know that Digital is the way of the future and now not disk LOL.

Well,it still takes hours,you just occupy yourself while those hours pass,if you buy a game and you have time right there to play it a disc is the best way to do it,installing a game off a disc takes no more than 5 minutes,depending on the speed of your optical drive of course. 

bluray is dead, everything is going digital

I don't know why this thread has gone on for 6 pages. We all know that Digital is the way of the future and now not disk LOL.

Blu-ray contains digital information as well.

bluray is dead, everything is going digital

UHD blu-ray master race. I'll get good quality flicks while you'll get compressed shit.

Blu-ray contains digital information as well.

UHD blu-ray master race. I'll get good quality flicks while you'll get compressed shit.

Yeah i just watch everything online, I dont have to pay 30 bucks every time i want to see a movie. 

My approach to physical vs digital is different for every single thing.

For Music:

I rarely listen to anything off the disk directly and the majority of the music I'm listening to is streamed from spotify. However if I like an album I will physically buy their CD, rip the music as a 320kbps MP3 and then sit the disk on my shelf. As someone who loves music I haven't found an approach to it that's as flexible, immediate, supports the artists and also gives me an actual collection.

For Movies:

There is no Netflix in Australia and Australian internet is crap. Plus if you purchase a movie through an online retailer like iTunes they DRM the thing to hell and back. So I tend to buy Blu-Rays because it's flexible enough and at a high quality with no real drawbacks. With 4K actually being something I want to take advantage off? I don't see my approach here changing. Especially given that iTunes is usually more expensive than the disk anyways and that sometimes they bundle the Blu-Ray with a DVD and iTunes code anyway

For Games:

Game streaming isn't a real option, especially not in Australia and the quality and flexibility of the path you go is literally the same. So it comes down to cost. For my Wii U and 3DS I tend to lean slightly towards the physical copy because the digital price is often a little bit more. I sometimes still go digital if it's something I will keep going back to. For PC? Steam sales, you can get so much stuff online for cheap that there's no contest. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Yeah i just watch everything online, I dont have to pay 30 bucks every time i want to see a movie. 

Me neither, that's why I don't buy movies that cost 30 bucks.

The majority of PC sales probably come from digital sales so it makes no sense to use an expensive disc when you can use several cheap discs. Lets not forget something really important here, most PCs that have an optical drive will probably have a DVD drive.

Has anyone considered that maybe the reason why most PC sales come from digital sales is because the support for phisical media on PC is crap?,I mean,you really have to go out of your way to find a phisical PC game,maybe import it from another region,so I have to believe that a lot of people just buy trough steam or other digital stores because they have no choice,I would like to see just how much of the income comes from digital sales if you could just walk into a store and pick up any new game on a single disc and pop it into your PC.