When are PC games gonna start being released on blue-ray?

Tairetsu

This thread still LOL. Come on people we all know that Digital is the future so lets stop beating a dead horse and close this useless thread LOL.

Has anyone considered that maybe the reason why most PC sales come from digital sales is because the support for phisical media on PC is crap?,I mean,you really have to go out of your way to find a phisical PC game,maybe import it from another region,so I have to believe that a lot of people just buy trough steam or other digital stores because they have no choice,I would like to see just how much of the income comes from digital sales if you could just walk into a store and pick up any new game on a single disc and pop it into your PC. 

For the longest time physical was the only way to get games on PC. It managed to lose a foot hold of being the only option for the market.

This thread still LOL. Come on people we all know that Digital is the future so lets stop beating a dead horse and close this useless thread LOL.

I'm quite enjoying this thread. So maybe you should find something else to occupy your time with instead of something you clearly have no interest in?

I'm quite enjoying this thread. So maybe you should find something else to occupy your time with instead of something you clearly have no interest in?

Ya your right I have no interest is dead technologies like Blu Ray LOL just as I have no interest in Betamax LOL.

Ya your right I have no interest is dead technologies like Blu Ray LOL just as I have no interest in Betamax LOL.

Good, I have your attention. You see I am curious as to how long you will continue shitposting in this thread. Do I need to grab some popcorn? So tell me, if you have no interest in this thread why click on it? 

Good, I have your attention. You see I am curious as to how long you will continue shitposting in this thread. Do I need to grab some popcorn? So tell me, if you have no interest in this thread why click on it? 

This whole thread is a shit post LOL. Blu Ray disk LOL come on man this is 2015 we are in LOL.

This whole thread is a shit post LOL. Blu Ray disk LOL come on man this is 2015 we are in LOL.

Go on, elaborate.

Go on, elaborate.

The Digital days ... It's not 2005 any more LOL

The Digital days ... It's not 2005 any more LOL

Time doesn't make a technology obsolete. CPUs have been on silicon for 45 years now. So go on, elaborate on why users are no longer buying physical copies. 

Time doesn't make a technology obsolete.

This is so funny LOL.

This is so funny LOL.

Says the person typing on a computer using Von Neumann based architecture. Why do you find it funny?

Says the person typing on a computer using Von Neumann architecture. Why do you find it funny?

A 486 is a CPU but because you say it's a CPU that means it is not obsolete LOL. I don't follow your logic. Further a ford Model T is a Car so that means it's not obsolete by today's standards and needs right LOL.

Total posts to get a constructive comment out of a troll: 4 

How am I trollin ? You are the one trying to say that a CPU is never obsolete because it is a CPU LOL. Do you not see how flawed your logic sounds LOL.

How am I trollin ? You are the one trying to say that a CPU is never obsolete because it is a CPU LOL. Do you not see how flawed your logic sounds LOL.

In case you missed it in my post to you earlier, "Good, I have your attention. You see I am curious as to how long you will continue shitposting in this thread. Do I need to grab some popcorn?" The answer was 4. It took 4 back and fourths to post something besides "Dead thread LOL". See, is it really that hard to have a rebuttal or contribution with substance...?

In case you missed it in my post to you earlier, "Good, I have your attention. You see I am curious as to how long you will continue shitposting in this thread. Do I need to grab some popcorn?" The answer was 4. It took 4 back and fourths to post something besides "Dead thread LOL". See, is it really that hard to have a rebuttal or contribution with substance...?

I said ...

"This thread still LOL. Come on people we all know that Digital is the future so lets stop beating a dead horse and close this useless thread LOL."

THEN YOU REPLIED with troll post #1

Then you gave troll post #2

Perhaps you could keep on topic or something. We all know that optical disk is a dead technology for PCs. Heck I have not ran a optical disk reader/drive for many years as I have not needed to.

Personally if they were going to release games on mass storage devices. I would think they would sell flash memory on USB memory sticks of 32GB or higher with games included. Otherwise services like Steam and Origin are the delivery mechanism of software. I recently purchased Far Cry 3 and received it on a DVD in the retail package. That is my first game in probably 8 years that I got on an optical disc.

For the longest time physical was the only way to get games on PC. It managed to lose a foot hold of being the only option for the market.

It would nice to know how that happened,and I know that is not something to ask here but rather something I should look into myself,but since I do neither live in the US nor was old enough to be properly inform on the subject back when Steam was founded I'm not really sure what drove the market towards digital:was it the prices?,was it the lack of a need to go out of your house to get the games?,what was it?,I don't actually expect an answer from anyone but if someone feels they can answer well,of course go ahead :P.

I mean I was buying games on disc all the way into the 2009 and 2010s,I think my last phisical PC game was a re-print of Fallout 1 in 2010 that I got for 10$ brand new,so in that regard my experience with phisical PC games was not bad until recently,last time I got to travel to the US I notice a big lack of PC games on shelves as oposse to console games,and I was only able to know that the newest PC games still come in DVDs from the internet,mostly from people of Europe and minor Asia (over here is kinda hard to find a legal copy of a game,and pirate copies are printed in CDs,so just imagine how many discs it takes to store games like ACUnity in that).

-snip-

I joined PC gaming slightly before Steam. Have physical copies of most of my older PC games somewhere. Halo PC, Spore, Team Fortress 2, Small Soldiers, Myst, Roller Coaster Tycoon 1-3, Theme Hospital, Zoo Tycoon 1. the original Sim City. It was Steam's DRM that made me install Steam for the first time because of Team Fortress. Though oddly the reason I started favoring Steam was unrelated to how I bought games but the fact it was convenient having an out of game friend's list and chat function. Before that you had a friend's list per game and generally I kept track of people through chat programs like MSN messager or similar services otherwise you had no idea a friend was online. The Steam overlay for messaging was also nice. For me I guess you can say since I liked the user experience of Steam and the store was right there it kinda lead to me buying from it. I also have a bad habit of losing discs so...

I joined PC gaming slightly before Steam. Have physical copies of most of my older PC games somewhere. Halo PC, Spore, Team Fortress 2, Small Soldiers, Myst, Roller Coaster Tycoon 1-3, Theme Hospital, Zoo Tycoon 1. the original Sim City. It was Steam's DRM that made me install Steam for the first time because of Team Fortress. Though oddly the reason I started favoring Steam was unrelated to how I bought games but the fact it was convenient having an out of game friend's list and chat function. Before that you had a friend's list per game and generally I kept track of people through chat programs like MSN messager or similar services otherwise you had no idea a friend was online. The Steam overlay for messaging was also nice. For me I guess you can say since I liked the user experience of Steam and the store was right there it kinda lead to me buying from it. I also have a bad habit of losing discs so...

Funny,the friend list and in-game chat thing was exactly the reason why I installed Steam for the first time too,because it was far more convinient than alt-tabbing every now and then to check if someone had responded in MSN messenger (and god do I miss that chat service,definitely one of the best things Microsoft has ever come out with,sadly no one uses it anymore).

Tho I gotta say,the reason why I started buying games on steam was because I could not buy them phisically here,either because they were too expensive (phisical games here at some point got to be about 200 US dollars) or because they simply were not here,admitelly I feel the whole "the game is not on the shelf" problem might be an issue for many people worldwide right now.

And let's face it,Steam sort of has build a monopoly around PC gaming,now a days in order to be a PC gamer you HAVE to use Steam,GOG does not have the most recent AAA titles,I don't think Xfire is a thing anymore,i'm not sure if Raptr sells games even,Desura is 100% indie games and MODs and I think there are other minor services that have the same issue:they lack games,AAA games more specifically,and well,of course phisical retailers are not an option anymore,and if you buy a digital game trough Amazon its usually a Steam code,other companies are trying to catch up with Steam but Uplay is a joke and Origin only has EA games (for the most part,like GOG has The Witcher games because is the same company).

I'm going to confidently say that the answer is never. Probably only a small amount of PC gamers still buy physical, and probably only a small amount of those people own BluRay drives. There wouldn't be much sense in doing to tbh.

EDIT: Didn't realise that this thread already had 8 pages. I'm guessing what I said has probably already been touched on a lot already, sorry. 

I'm going to confidently say that the answer is never. Probably only a small amount of PC gamers still buy physical, and probably only a small amount of those people own BluRay drives. There wouldn't be much sense in doing to tbh.

EDIT: Didn't realise that this thread already had 8 pages. I'm guessing what I said has probably already been touched on a lot already, sorry. 

Yes,in fact it sparked other questions like:maybe if phisical PC games got better support they would sell better and that it would not be the first time publishers force costumers to upgrade. 

Yes,in fact it sparked other questions like:maybe if phisical PC games got better support they would sell better and that it would not be the first time publishers force costumers to upgrade. 

What better support could they get? I can't really think of much that could be done to get my to buy physical except for a lower price, but that wouldn't make much sense. I even still bought digital over physical when my internet sucked and I was downloading games at like 250KB/s.

PC already made the jump and is using mainly digital distribution. Most people don't even have a ODD anymore, and if they have its surely not a bluray drive. With the spread of high bandwith internet discs are becoming obsolete not just in gaming but within other mediums as well(example, netflix for films and series). So to answer your question, probably never.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

• 4 weeks later...

Funny,the friend list and in-game chat thing was exactly the reason why I installed Steam for the first time too,because it was far more convinient than alt-tabbing every now and then to check if someone had responded in MSN messenger (and god do I miss that chat service,definitely one of the best things Microsoft has ever come out with,sadly no one uses it anymore).

Tho I gotta say,the reason why I started buying games on steam was because I could not buy them phisically here,either because they were too expensive (phisical games here at some point got to be about 200 US dollars) or because they simply were not here,admitelly I feel the whole "the game is not on the shelf" problem might be an issue for many people worldwide right now.

And let's face it,Steam sort of has build a monopoly around PC gaming,now a days in order to be a PC gamer you HAVE to use Steam,GOG does not have the most recent AAA titles,I don't think Xfire is a thing anymore,i'm not sure if Raptr sells games even,Desura is 100% indie games and MODs and I think there are other minor services that have the same issue:they lack games,AAA games more specifically,and well,of course phisical retailers are not an option anymore,and if you buy a digital game trough Amazon its usually a Steam code,other companies are trying to catch up with Steam but Uplay is a joke and Origin only has EA games (for the most part,like GOG has The Witcher games because is the same company).

Can't believe I stopped following this thread for a week and it blew up.lol The entire reason (probably said this before) Steam was chosen and a monopoly was formed was due to the fact that steam provides DRM that the publishers want without it being intrusive or limiting install. Remember how SecuROM handled things back in the day? UPlay will never be good and I think the only reason Ubisoft is using it is because people kept cracking all of their online only DRM measures and they want a way to authenticate games. Origin has always existed in one form or another, but apparently EA not wanting to distribute DLC via Steam or something along those lines cause them to pull most of their newer titles off of Steam and they further developed their existing service.

Now with GoG throwing their hat into the ring, I wonder if they intend to provide their services and remain DRM free.

It sucks for the int'l community. I don't think discs will make a come back at this point.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14