First Build; Help?

Shanny

This is my first build, never done really anything in terms of PC building. So (like basically every first build) I have no idea what I'm doing.

My parts list is here: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Shanny/saved/sJRH99

I've likely chose bad choices.

The focus of the build is gaming for (what I consider) a reasonable price. The only part of the build that is definite is the Bitfenix Prodigy, simply because I like it. Anything else I would be likely to change if a superior choice came along.

Thank you for any help given. It's greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

1. Budget & Location
Location (Currency): England, working in GBP

Budget: ~£1300 Is absolute maximum
2. Aim
Gaming as stated before, general gaming so that includes Crysis 2, Far Cry 3, but also some small games like Binding of Isaac.

3. Monitors
Currently single monitor, plan to move to dual. Likely go for a 1080p Monitor, current monitor is 720p (I believe)

4. Peripherals
Planned OS is Windows 7, Peripherals are a simple mouse and keyboard and some headphones. Nothing special.

5. Why are you upgrading?
Because I want to build a PC myself, and my current PC is a average laptop which can't run too many games to a good standard.

You planning to overclock, my friend?

Compatible with Windows 95

Read the first line of my signature.

also in my signature

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Why that 4GB 760? just go for a 970

@Shanny

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@Shanny

or wait for the 960

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

or wait for the 960

I dunno, not that excited for the 960. OP wanted a 4 GB card already and the 960 will probably only have 2 GB..

I guess he chose the 4GB version of the 760 for a reason..

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I dunno, not that excited for the 960. OP wanted a 4 GB card already and the 960 will probably only have 2 GB..

the 760 memory bus is too small to support 4gb, and the 960 according to leaks will have 4gb on a 364 bit bus, that is enough to drive 4gb unlike the 200 bit bus of the 760

All of those builds are poorly color coordinated. Give me 20 minutes. 

I would not recommend a Bitfenix prodigy to a novice builder. Small form factor builds should only be done after experience. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£173.94 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X31 69.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£56.39 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£106.99 @ Aria PC) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  (£64.36 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£83.10 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  (£280.00 @ Aria PC) 
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£69.59 @ Aria PC) 
Case Fan: Corsair SP120 57.2 CFM 120mm  Fan  (£8.39 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £957.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-14 22:04 GMT+0000

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

@Shanny

It was the MARS card, you know the one with two 760s on one card?

the 760 memory bus is too small to support 4gb, and the 960 according to leaks will have 4gb on a 364 bit bus, that is enough to drive 4gb unlike the 200 bit bus of the 760

The pictures I saw of the 960 it said it 'only' had 2GB...

It was the MARS card, you know the one with two 760s on one card?

Would that mean the memory bus is bigger too? I am still kind of a noob and wasn't around tech when this thing came out I think :P

You planning to overclock, my friend?

Not initially, though at a later date (at least a year and a half) maybe. Though at that date I would likely ask about whether changes are needed for overclocking (or know enough to say for myself)

All of those builds are poorly color coordinated. Give me 20 minutes. 

I would not recommend a Bitfenix prodigy to a novice builder. Small form factor builds should only be done after experience. 

To be honest, this PC will last me a while, even if it not advisable I would like to use the Prodigy anyway. Simply because I like it.

Not initially, though at a later date (at least a year and a half) maybe. Though at that date I would likely ask about whether changes are needed for overclocking (or know enough to say for myself)

Well, I'd just use the stock cooler now in that case. You may find your performance satisfactory at stock clocks and the stock cooler really isn't that bad.

An i5-4690K is more than sufficient for a gaming system. Unless you really wish to push overclocking a Dark Rock Pro 3 is probably not that good a choice in a small case. A Z87 motherboard will likely require a BIOS update before the cpu could be used. Better to get a Z97 motherboard. It is newer tech. Will support the cpu without BIOS update. And, will support the next generation of cpu. A GTX 970 actually out performs the Mars 760 at 1080 in most titles. It runs cooler and requires less power. A modular psu makes the assembly process a little easier and results in cleaner looking builds.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£173.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (£48.79 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£108.88 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£57.60 @ Kustom PCs)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£80.39 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£69.98 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  (£296.39 @ Aria PC)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Red) Mini ITX Tower Case  (£67.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£94.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  (£37.85 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1036.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-14 22:00 GMT+0000

The OP gpu is a Mars 760 which is actually twin 760 in SLI. Combined it has 4GB but that is 2GB per gpu.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

An i5-4690K is more than sufficient for a gaming system. Unless you really wish to push overclocking a Dark Rock Pro 3 is probably not that good a choice in a small case. A Z87 motherboard will likely require a BIOS update before the cpu could be used. Better to get a Z97 motherboard. It is newer tech. Will support the cpu without BIOS update. And, will support the next generation of cpu. A GTX 970 actually out performs the Mars 760 at 1080 in most titles. It runs cooler and requires less power. A modular psu makes the assembly process a little easier and results in cleaner looking builds.

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  (£296.39 @ Aria PC)

The OP gpu is a Mars 760 which is actually twin 760 in SLI. Combined it has 4GB but that is 2GB per gpu.

Since it's M-ITX board I can only have one graphics card. Is SLI not that good. All the other suggestions I will very likely put into my build but I just don't understand the graphics card (Simply because I don't understand what makes one better than the other)

Since it's M-ITX board I can only have one graphics card. Is SLI not that good. All the other suggestions I will very likely put into my build but I just don't understand the graphics card (Simply because I don't understand what makes one better than the other)

There is nothing wrong with SLI. The Mars 760 is two gpu on one pcb. GTX gpu work together using SLI so that is implemented on the Mars to link the two gpu.

The simplest way to sort out which gpu would be better is to find some benchmarks of the sorts of things the gpu will be used for and that include both cards. http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?page=0&itemid=1443 is a reasonable example. You will note that in most games the 970 performs better than the Mars. Where the Mars does better. the performance difference is no where near its 35% price premium.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I can make it cheaper...but it's elite.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£173.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£82.15 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£105.59 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  (£114.47 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£149.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (£275.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Red) Mini ITX Tower Case  (£67.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£65.48 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  (£37.85 @ Ebuyer)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£72.35 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: LG 24MP55HQ-P 60Hz 23.8" Monitor  (£121.24 @ More Computers)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  (£9.63 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: Logitech G402 Wired Optical Mouse  (£35.99 @ Amazon UK)
Headphones: Cooler Master Ceres -400 Headset  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1337.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-15 04:24 GMT+0000

Note: you should include a 200mm Fan for the front intake on this build.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-fan-r4lus07abgp