MSI bios help? UEFI+Legacy->UEFI

MiniMoose1211
Go to solution Solved by MiniMoose1211,

I am not completely sure if Windows 8.1 still can't read RAID arrays, so try it woth out loading the drivers, but if required at the partitioning step there should be an option and you just put in the DVD that came with the motherboard for the drivers when prompted, also I forgot to say remember to rewrite the partition table as GPT, to do that press Shift + F10 to open CMD, type in the following order

NOTE: "disk number" = e.g 0, 1 or 2

• diskpart
  • sel disk "disk number"
  • convert gpt

Sorry for triple post. Anyways, I changed my bios to UEFI only, and enabled "Windows 8.1" feature on my mobo... I did not enable secure booot but that's what I'm going to do right now... I installed windows 8.1 after deleting all my drives in the partition manager, and created them as a "new drive" any of the old drivers windows would refuse to read.. Anyways I created them as fresh drives aswell as my raid config... Doing so it created a "Healthy 300mb" partition on my 2 storage drives, god knows why? Anyways my raid has 3 partitions... recover Partition(300MB) and EFI system partition(100MB) aswell as the 465.25GB for the main healthy partition.... I'm installing my drivers now so I can actually access the damn bios. My Razer keyboard doesn't activate when I boot.. and I noticed it being 20x faster to reboot now... so yeah :) Thanks for the help guys, I think I can handle it from here :D /thread 

I want to enable EUFI bios on my mobo but I don't know what to do... I have a z87 Mpower (not the max version) motherboard from MSI... When I change the first setting in boot that is "Legacy+UEFI" to "UEFI" only mode, it reboots as normal but instead of booting windows it shows me a screen with a read-out "Disk Map" of all my discs connected to my sata with some hexadecimals after them.. Then it says at the bottom on the same screen of text, "Press any key to skip start.sh" Skipped or not it did nothing and left me with a blinking underscore on that same black screen? Any ideas?

Have you installed Windows in BIOS Mode?

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

What i believed you install you OS using Legeacy mode BIOS

what are the drives you got?

you might need to fix the boot order

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Have you installed Windows in BIOS Mode?

? what is that. I just installed windows like 20 minutes ago and there was no setting for BIOS mode?

? what is that. I just installed windows like 20 minutes ago and there was no setting for BIOS mode?

Did you enable AHCI mode in the BIOS for MSI?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Did you enable AHCI mode in the BIOS for MSI?

It's in raid mode :P I have 2 850 evos... 

I don't know, as I am unfamiliar with MSI boards. But I do know this:

In order to support UEFI fully you need:

-> Your HDD/SDD be formatted as GPT and not MBR (Windows setup does that based if the system is on UEFI or Legacy (ie: BIOS)). Yours is probably MBR. You need to convert it (backup all your stuff before hand, it can lead to data loss), or format everything, and re-install (better, as Windows makes a third partition)

-> Windows 7 or 8 (well Windows 10 as well). (they all support UEFI. Windows 8 (and 10, of course) however, FULLY support UEFI. Windows 7 only supports booting). So if you run on XP or Vista or Linux distro that doesn't support UEFI, then you are out of luck. You need to upgrade.

-> To really reach UEFI support in it's fullness, Meaning you also disable CSM (compatibility mode) your graphics card(s) firmware needs to be upgraded to be UEFI ready (also referred as GOP ready). Refer to the manufacture of your video card for more information on this availability and how to process. Please note that once you do it, your graphics card can no longer work on legacy system running a BIOS, or a  partially supported UEFI BIOS.

It's in raid mode :P I have 2 850 evos... 

did the BIOS enable your RAID array?

I don't know, as I am unfamiliar with MSI boards. But I do know this:

In order to support UEFI fully you need:

-> Your HDD/SDD be formatted as GPT and not MBR (Windows setup does that based if the system is on UEFI or Legacy (ie: BIOS)). Yours is probably MBR. You need to convert it (backup all your stuff before hand, it can lead to data loss), or format everything, and re-install (better, as Windows makes a third partition)

-> Windows 7 or 8 (well Windows 10 as well). (they all support UEFI. Windows 8 (and 10, of course) however, FULLY support UEFI. Windows 7 only supports booting). So if you run on XP or Vista or Linux distro that doesn't support UEFI, then you are out of luck. You need to upgrade.

-> To really reach UEFI support in it's fullness, Meaning you also disable CSM (compatibility mode) your graphics card(s) firmware needs to be upgraded to be UEFI ready (also referred as GOP ready). Refer to the manufacture of your video card for more information on this availability and how to process. Please note that once you do it, your graphics card can no longer work on legacy system running a BIOS, or a  partially supported UEFI BIOS.

So what you're saying is I need to change it to EUFI bios mode first, than reinstall windows and it should auto install in EUFI mode? Also no need to worry about data loss, just setting up this comp today.... Also will "reinstalling" work on a raid 0 drive if it needs a special format?

When you installed Windows did you install Windows while the UEFI was in legacy mode, Legacy mode allows the OS or device to boot as if you were booting of legacy BIOS system

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

So what you're saying is I need to change it to EUFI bios mode first, than reinstall windows and it should auto install in EUFI mode? Also no need to worry about data loss, just setting up this comp today.... Also will "reinstalling" work on a raid 0 drive if it needs a special format?

Yes you need to do that, while you are at it I would also recommend enabling Secure Boot unless you are also booting another OS that does not support it, what Secure Boot does is signs the bootloader so if malware overwrites the bootloader, the firmware will stop you from booting the malicous bootloader, and no it should not be a problem aslong as the SATA controller is set to RAID mode and you load the RAID drivers into the Windows installer, so Windows can read the RAID array

Yes you need to do that, while you are at it I would also recommend enabling Secure Boot unless you are also booting another OS that does not support it, what Secure Boot does is signs the bootloader so if malware overwrites the bootloader, the firmware will stop you from booting the malicous bootloader, and no it should not be a problem aslong as the SATA controller is set to RAID mode and you load the RAID drivers into the Windows installer, so Windows can read the RAID array

So how would one go about putting the raid drivers into the installer? Just get on my dad's pc and put the driver from the Samsung disk onto a flash driver? And click load driver on the partition?

Yup! As mentioned, you need to re-install.

now I haven't done it. My system is on BIOS (Core i7 930 days :) ), so sadly i can't really help you.

But, if you delete every partitions that you see on Windows 8 setup at the location where it asks you which drive/partition to install Windows 8 on, and format it again, it should be good, from my understanding.

This stage of the setup, I am talking about:

windows-8-partition-selection.png

If you click on "Drive options (advanced), you will have format and delete options. You want to delete everything, and recreate a partition for Windows, Windows Setup will take care of everything for you.

So how would one go about putting the raid drivers into the installer? Just get on my dad's pc and put the driver from the Samsung disk onto a flash driver? And click load driver on the partition?

I am not completely sure if Windows 8.1 still can't read RAID arrays, so try it woth out loading the drivers, but if required at the partitioning step there should be an option and you just put in the DVD that came with the motherboard for the drivers when prompted, also I forgot to say remember to rewrite the partition table as GPT, to do that press Shift + F10 to open CMD, type in the following order

• diskpart
  • sel disk "disk number"
  • convert gpt

I didn't need to install the ssd drivers for Windows but when I deleted the raid partition and clicked new it made like 4 partitions lol. Like 2x 140mb ish sized ones and one that was like 300mb. Any idea what for? One said reserved for msr and another said backups and another said main... I'm not losing much space but I'll probably just open them when I get into Windows and expand the main partition.... Also 2 and a half minute install lel

Also just heads up for anyone I just had to delete and recreate the partition... Not format. Formatting it did nothing.

• diskpart
  • sel disk "disk number"
  • convert gpt

Sorry for triple post. Anyways, I changed my bios to UEFI only, and enabled "Windows 8.1" feature on my mobo... I did not enable secure booot but that's what I'm going to do right now... I installed windows 8.1 after deleting all my drives in the partition manager, and created them as a "new drive" any of the old drivers windows would refuse to read.. Anyways I created them as fresh drives aswell as my raid config... Doing so it created a "Healthy 300mb" partition on my 2 storage drives, god knows why? Anyways my raid has 3 partitions... recover Partition(300MB) and EFI system partition(100MB) aswell as the 465.25GB for the main healthy partition.... I'm installing my drivers now so I can actually access the damn bios. My Razer keyboard doesn't activate when I boot.. and I noticed it being 20x faster to reboot now... so yeah :) Thanks for the help guys, I think I can handle it from here :D /thread 

I didn't need to install the ssd drivers for Windows but when I deleted the raid partition and clicked new it made like 4 partitions lol. Like 2x 140mb ish sized ones and one that was like 300mb. Any idea what for? One said reserved for msr and another said backups and another said main... I'm not losing much space but I'll probably just open them when I get into Windows and expand the main partition.... Also 2 and a half minute install lel

• Recovery 300MB - Windows Recovery
  • EFI System Partition 100MB - Where bootloaders for OS's on that disk go
  • MSR (Microsoft System Reserve) 128MB - Reserve Space
  • Windows Partition

Is the default partition layout for a Windows UEFI Install

If your Razer keyoboard does not activate on boot try setting enabling xHCI Pre-Boot Mode, basically it enable the USB 3 controller before the OS is booted, versus the USB's running in USB 2 mode until control has been handed over to the OS kernel

Excellent! Glad yo got it working, and enjoying the faster speed from switching to UEFI